Getz speaks at GM meetings...

Lip Man 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

They were in a much better position because they aren't a lemonade stand. We are still in a terrible position because we are a lemonade stand.

We will see soon see how talented Getz is as a used car salesman.  

Hahn had the talk, but we all knew it was total BS and CYA after 2022…

And Grifol worse than even Bevington in many respects…credibility already blown if he had any in the first place.

Edited by caulfield12

18 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Because in 3 years you hope to be really good? And you have to have someone on your team that is really good. 

Yep.

That's what you're trading for when you trade for top-100 and top-15 prospects.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And Grifol worse than even Bevington in many respects…credibility already blown if he had any in the first place.

I agree with this 100 %.

And I love all the rebuild talk. This organization had every tool available for an exceedingly successful rebuild and failed in every way. I don't like the idea of waiting 4 years for them to do it again. The hell with it at this point. Bring me washed up veteran's for that lighting in a bottle. Anything is better than this. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Do you remember when Frank Lane traded Rocky Colavito for Harvey Kuenn? It almost destroyed the Cleveland franchise. Lane also wanted to traded Stan Musial when he was with the Cardinals. The Cardinals owner overruled Lane and Lane then left the Cardinals, Lane had success with the White  Sox and little success with the other teams he ran.

I don't remember either of those (before my lifetime), but I'm guessing the 1959-1960 Indians offseason, coming off of an 89-win campaign in 1959, had different objectives than the 2023-2024 White Sox offseason, coming off of a 101-loss season.

Point is - your comparisons here are 100% irrelevant, because the teams are not in the same phase of contention.

If someone were suggesting to trade Robert, Jose, Cease, etc., going into the 2021 or 2022 season, I would acknowledge your comparison. But right now you're not even comparing apples to oranges.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I agree with this 100 %.

And I love all the rebuild talk. This organization had every tool available for an exceedingly successful rebuild and failed in every way. I don't like the idea of waiting 4 years for them to do it again. The hell with it at this point. Bring me washed up veteran's for that lighting in a bottle. Anything is better than this. 

except they didn't, JR/Hahn didn't spend when they needed to, which would have at least made the rebuild seem complete.

Just now, GreenSox said:

Move him around; might shake him up. New look utility player.  I don't see a problem with flexing Moncada.
He'll be gone in a year anyway.

Until Ramos forces his way onto the roster, there’s no one else to consistently play at 3B. You go that route if you still had Burger or someone else who could use the at bats.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

https://x.com/JayCuda/status/1722322832124731725?s=20

Looks like he spends a lot of money on Ticket Sales and not things that can actually make the team better.  

Maybe one day we’ll have an owner who realizes that analytics guys and scouts, if properly chosen, basically give you a built-in ticket sales department….

My favorite recent Jerry / Sox t story was how they spent their time energy and analytics not to find ball players, but rather to uncover the ticket scheme by two of the 50 ticket sellers costing the team about $215k / per season pre lockdowns.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2022/2/15/22934905/white-sox-ticket-scam-broker-bruce-lee

Ahead of his sentencing hearing, Lee’s lawyers made the eye-catching argument that the Sox benefited from Lee’s scheme because it brought fans to the ballpark to spend money. They even insisted that “White Sox fans are the baseball fans that drink the most alcohol at a game.”

14 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Probably have to trade for someone else's bad contract because I doubt Reinsdorf will eat much money. Hopefully Getz is more aggressive/creative than his predecessor was.  That's a low bar to clear.  

The 30 guys who make up the GM's club are regular people who like some members of the club more than others.  That is a factor when clubs seem to make trades with the same clubs year after year.  I think Getz has a much more likeable personality than Hahn and I hope his circle of trade partners to be larger than Hahn's.

• Like 2

The ironic part is, if you invest in the scouting and analytics and cut back on the reps, you would probably sell more tickets if the team is better.

Is it even necessary to have ticket reps these days compared to before internet? Now you can just jump on and buy whatever plan you want. Definitely not necessary to have a bigger sales rep staff compared to the other two.

14 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Probably have to trade for someone else's bad contract because I doubt Reinsdorf will eat much money. Hopefully Getz is more aggressive/creative than his predecessor was.  That's a low bar to clear.  

Yet we ignore the Sox are bad at trades.  Rebuild only works in fantasy sports and not the White Sox. It's not going to get better unless you buy scouts from low budget winning teams. 

On 11/8/2023 at 4:59 AM, The Mighty Mite said:

It’s refreshing that he knows the problems instead of feeding us a bunch of BS, letting TA go was a good start but there is so much more to do. I agree there are no untouchables and if it improves the club where they can pick up 2 or 3 guys who can make the team better then I’m OK with trading Robert. 

The first step towards recovery is admitting that there is a problem... clearly a breath of fresh air from the previous regime who was constantly trying to blow sunshine up our asses.

Reportedly there were multiple cancers in that clubhouse last year, and I have long believed that TA was one of them.

I hope they don't trade Robert, but I don't consider him untradeable if the price is right.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

The first step towards recovery is admitting that there is a problem... clearly a breath of fresh air from the previous regime who was constantly trying to blow sunshine up our asses.

Reportedly there were multiple cancers in that clubhouse last year, and I have long believed that TA was one of them.

I hope they don't trade Robert, but I don't consider him untradeable if the price is right.

Good post...I agree with you.