Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

But this just keeps speaking to how horrendous this org is. Benetti is growing in national prominence and his childhood dream was to be the White Sox announcer.

Plenty of teams let their announcers split national duties with local broadcasts. Do you think the Knicks get upset about Mike Breen? Jon Miller did national work for a long time.

But this dumpster fire organization probably tried to shortchange Benetti again, because we know that he said the contract negotiation was painful.

The Mariners and Jays both have a rotation on their regular broadcasts. It's not a foreign concept for most teams, but the White Sox are gonna White Sox.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

For those of you who think announcers aren't important, see, Caray, Harry.

Yes, and Hawk was important to the Sox brand for a long time until he lost his fastball. 

I just never viewed Benetti (now 40) that way. Hopefully the next announcer is better for all and the fans upset today will just get used to it. We may not have a lifer announcer ever again. And that’s ok. 

Edited by flavum
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Man if only the Sox could have had a guy like that with national prominence! Maybe he could have started a tradition like singing the 7th inning stretch?

My favorite critique of Jason is people calling him corny, as if Hawk Harrelson wasn't the corniest fucking soundboard in the entire game. He had an amazing home run call and before he declined, he could balance the cornball. Unfortunately, he had zero chemistry with Stone and the broadcast became "Hawkisms and the same stories about Yaz and Catfish while Steve Stone wallows in misery." 

• Like 3
  • Fire 3

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Man if only the Sox could have had a guy like that with national prominence! Maybe he could have started a tradition like singing the 7th inning stretch?

My favorite critique of Jason is people calling him corny, as if Hawk Harrelson wasn't the corniest fucking soundboard in the entire game. He had an amazing home run call and before he declined, he could balance the cornball. Unfortunately, he had zero chemistry with Stone and the broadcast became "Hawkisms and the same stories about Yaz and Catfish while Steve Stone wallows in misery." 

Jason and Steve's best year was 2021 when the Sox were good and they could talk about the game. When the games went bad, it's a different world, they couldn't go all Harry and Jimmy Piersall over them. The broadcast goes off into other areas. They next announcer the Sox get will be just as far up Brooks Boyer's ass as Pedro is up Getz'. He'll be going off on the one hit Koey Lee got a few months back.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Also, I need to add a note before someone - let me phrase this as Hawk would - spills their can of corn in disgust over this ducksnort of a statement - I loved listening to Hawk until he got to his grumpy phase.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Mel Allen, Curt Gowdy, Mussberger was a great nat'l broadcaster.

I come across NFL fans find it's a punishment for a national game instead of the local guy.

In 2005 postseason I missed Hawk.  Bermin was terrible and not really talented in that area.

Would really like to see if they can pull Brian Barnhart from Champaign. He's my absolute favorite PBP guy in all of sports and used to do Angels games years before the Illini. He's turned down other MLB jobs to remain there, but Sox would obviously be a closer pull. He's a Sox fan too.

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

Mel Allen, Curt Gowdy, Mussberger was a great nat'l broadcaster.

I come across NFL fans find it's a punishment for a national game instead of the local guy.

In 2005 postseason I missed Hawk.  Bermin was terrible and not really talented in that area.

oh my god that boston series was brutal. HE was basically just giving a eulogy for 4-5 innings that last game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Because the Sox are just great at this, I was too young to really get how badly they botched letting Rooney walk after 2005.

But it seems to be a recurring theme for this team to let good announcers walk.

JR let perhaps the greatest basketball PBP guy ever, Jim Durham, walk from the Bulls.

• Thanks 3

f*** JR, letting another future HOF announcer walk out the door feeling like s%*#. 

Watch Benetti earn his MLB stripes the next decade. Like every announcer he had people who didnt like him but by and large the MLB fan community seemed to enjoy his style. Give the man a real baseball team with actual excitement and I bet it gets even better. 

I'm with the guy who said if the Cubs sign Shohei I'm gonna watch more of their games. I dont even give a f*** anymore. Why even bother with this sorry ass franchise and blind stupid loyalty to it because of "reasons" when theres a serious franchise in the same city that's actually trying. 

f*** the White Sox.

• Fire 4

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Maybe Hawk was onto something about Brooks

He and Jerry suck ass.

51 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This guy was a huge White Sox fan. I can't imagine how much money he needed to make himself a Tigers fan instead.  I thought unless he went Joe Buck and went national, he was in the booth for 30 years. 

I don't believe it was about the money as much as it was dealing with Brooks Fucking Boyer, Jerry and all the bullshit roadblocks and unnecessary grief they threw his way during his time here, including not paying for their travel in 2021 and blaming bullshit covid for their cheap ass ways.

I don't pay for garbage TV including Jerry's broadcasts and his absolute shitshow of Ozzie and Garfein in the studio, but I really hope Len did come here because he wanted to stay on radio. I really enjoy him and DJ, perhaps the primary reason I followed games first during the Tony La Russa era and then the brutal Hahn final season. 

If it's Connor and DJ or gasp DJ leaves, I may take some time off from Sox baseball until jerry dies, Boyer is gone, and solid broadcasters want to work here.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

JR let perhaps the greatest basketball PBP guy ever, Jim Durham, walk from the Bulls.

Not just JR though. Really sucked losing Wayne Larrivee to Green Bay and suffering through Joniak. He is truly the one guy I can't take because of how overly descriptive he is on the things that aren't helpful to me understanding, and underdescriptive he is on the things that matter.

Crazy how often we lose talent to questionable markets.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chetkincaid said:

Wow the national news is all over this. The White Sox are getting absolutely roasted on twitter.

Jason gained a stupid amount of national fans during the Bill Walton game.

Then he kept them because he's one of the few national announcers people enjoy listening to and don't actively hate, especially across multiple sports. The only one I can think of off the top of my head in that company is Kevin Harlan, and unless I missed something, Harlan is just doing two sports.