Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

8 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Larrivee was a Packers fan.  Rooney was a Cardinals fan.  They both wanted to go where their hearts were.  Ain't love great?

Benetti was a White Sox fan......continue to see just how poorly run that organization is.

This does nothing in reality but it's another opportunity for the White Sox to show they are not serious.  The optics of this are terrible as it was always a feel good story.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I don’t think any human on earth could talk about the last few seasons of White Sox baseball with a straight face. Did you want to hear how shitty our franchise is for 2 hrs straight every game? Gotta fill the depressing dead air with something. 

Bennetti is a high level announcer and letting him leave is dumb. Especially when it’s to another poverty franchise in the same division. No way Detroit blew him away with a huge offer Jerry couldn’t pay. 

#SoxMath will be replaced by #SoxGripes, where Rocko from Oak Lawn calls in to talk about how much he hates Moncada for an entire inning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, fathom said:

It’s truly amazing to me the amount of people saying they won’t watch the Sox anymore.  I’ve never let an announcer dictate whether I turn a game on.  

I thought they were saying that long before this announcement?

The whole season all I read was fan’s apathy.  The last two years actually.

I don’t think this is what broke the camel’s back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

#SoxMath will be replaced by #SoxGripes, where Rocko from Oak Lawn calls in to talk about how much he hates Moncada for an entire inning.

They could just turn it into the He Gets Us segment where the Sox will tell us that we are all sinners unworthy of this holy franchise. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

Boyer's press release is telling:

It essentially reads that he accommodated Benetti for years, put up with all his BS and he has decided to leave (likely for a small raise).  

Letting a guy do national TV games and football games is not accommodating him, its the opposite, it is building your own brand stronger by having a well known broadcaster.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I wouldn't characterize Detroit as a "poverty" franchise.

The Ilitch family will spend money when it makes sense, and they've shown an ability to hire good people and get out of their way.

Yeah I honestly don’t even know about the Tigers owners and their financial situation. Bad franchise and not a destination city would have been a better way to put it. 

Basically, the statement the Sox put out is complete BS is what I’m saying. Going to Detroit is not a “career changing” moment like they tried to spin it and I highly doubt Jason even wanted to go there. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, I don't know why Jason would bolt to Detroit. He loves the Sox. Loves Steve. Something had to piss him off. When he was just starting, I thought he was trying to do a 2 hour comedy bit in 20 minutes. But he grew on me. This is another Sox loss.

Here's why:

“Jason Benetti’s deal with the Sox is up, the Sox hold the option for the 2023 and 2024 seasons. He went to Fox to negotiate that deal with them after he was told to do it and then come back to the Sox and they’d work something out. Jason wanted to get the deal done with the Sox first and then go to Fox or ESPN or whoever. Turns out when he came back to the Sox and said that he needs 40 days off so he can do the Fox work he was told, ‘no, that’s not happening.’ So I don’t know what’s going to happen to him or Steve Stone.”

This was what a source told me last November as part of a story I did on the state of the Sox.

Incompetent, dysfunction and inept describe the organization from top to bottom.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Yeah I honestly don’t even know about the Tigers owners and their financial situation. Bad franchise and not a destination city would have been a better way to put it. 

Basically, the statement the Sox put out is complete BS is what I’m saying. Going to Detroit is not a “career changing” moment like they tried to spin it and I highly doubt Jason even wanted to go there. 

Maybe the "career changing" move is to be able to work for a team that's willing to accommodate his national ambitions.

Detroit has basically been a s%*# show in the booth since 2018 when Mario Impemba and Rod Allen got into it

• Fire 2

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Letting a guy do national TV games and football games is not accommodating him, its the opposite, it is building your own brand stronger by having a well known broadcaster.

No one said the Sox didn't benefit.  

But they did accommodate him long before it was written into his deal.  They didn't have to do it, and they did.  And he left anyways.  

Just now, GREEDY said:

No one said the Sox didn't benefit.  

But they did accommodate him long before it was written into his deal.  They didn't have to do it, and they did.  And he left anyways.  

The White Sox release said they encouraged him to check into the Detroit offer. Would that make you feel you had job security?

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Did people really only watch to listen to him?  

Unscientific poll, but a decent amount of other team's fans have said that they would listen to the Sox broadcast instead of their own because Jason and Stone were that good together.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox release said they encouraged him to check into the Detroit offer. Would that make you feel you had job security?

Can't win with you guys.  

If they tell him he can't look for new deals they are taking advantage of him.  If they tell him he is free to pursue whatever his heart desires then they are sending messages that his job isn't safe.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Then why did the Dodgers dump Vin Scully when he wanted to do national games and the NFL?

Oh wait.......never mind.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Remember when incredibly popular, nationally known Chance the Rapper designed these dope ass hats, then wanted to become a paid team ambassador instead of doing stuff for free and the org said naaaah

• Like 1