Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, macsandz said:

I was told the ask from BAL is still Cowser, Norby +...but as of this morning Elias is balking just like at last year's deadline. 

Appreciate your insight. I'm personally hoping it's Baltimore because they can most afford to overpay with prospects because of their wealth of high-end ones, plus they gain ANOTHER 1st RD pick next June thanks to Henderson winning ROTY.

4 minutes ago, macsandz said:

I was told the ask from BAL is still Cowser, Norby +...but as of this morning Elias is balking just like at last year's deadline. 

Interesting. I had a strong feeling Getz wanted Cowser because he also adds athleticism and defense to go along with his LH bat (and if Robert is traded later he could slide into CF) so he checks alot of boxes. 

Perhaps given Jimmy's report, Chicago has come off Cowser and agreed to accept Hjerstad instead, but maybe Getz will want to make up for that on the backend with higher quality 3rd and 4th pieces. Interesting that they don't want Ortiz even though consensus in the scouting community appears to be Montgomery will have to slide to 3B. Norby would be a good 2B.

Thanks for the info.....much appreciated. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Coby Mayo would be the first part. Dude is ranked 27 overall on MLB’s Top 100. You probably aren’t getting him and one of their other higher guys.

Everyone seems to favor Kjerstad over him, which is why I labeled that he’d be a second part. I don’t understand the Kjerstad love, but that’s just me. 

Edited by Soxnfins

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t think they’re getting Cowser. If they keep insisting on that, it’ll probably be a different team. 

Not that the Orioles would be lowballing the Sox, but they or any other team shouldn’t be expected to be putting their best offers on the table before Spring Training. If the Sox are impatient and insist on getting a deal done even before winter meetings, weakness is apparent, no doubt there is blood in the water

52 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Understandably so.  GMs like Hazen didn't get where they are by trading away their best prospects.
Of course also where his is 0-3 and outclassed the playoffs; hopefully, he cracks. If anyone does, it's likely Baltimore (or us).
Other GMs would give-in; of course, that's a reason their teams suck and aren't in the market for Cease.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Understandably so.  GMs like Hazen didn't get where they are by trading away their best prospects.
Of course also where his is 0-3 and outclassed the playoffs; hopefully, he cracks. If anyone does, it's likely Baltimore (or us).
Other GMs would give-in; of course, that's a reason their teams suck and aren't in the market for Cease.

As other pitchers come off the board, the pressure on BAL will increase.

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm a bit worried about the Kjerstad vs Cowser thing being the next Moncada vs Devers thing and the Sox ending up with the wrong highly and similarly ranked top prospect from a team.

The Sox probably think they can scout by reading scouting publications and using their typical evaluation process to subsist, rather  than investing in quality to their own scouting department. Whatever the Sox know, other teams know more. Yeah yeah, I know the Sox might have paid lip service to some sort of change in MO. Whatever it is, Jerry Reinsdorf won’t let it be anything but substandard. The Sox are now going to stop letting other teams poach their own talent, and smoke the Sox in prospect trades all of the sudden, for sure.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm a bit worried about the Kjerstad vs Cowser thing being the next Moncada vs Devers thing and the Sox ending up with the wrong highly and similarly ranked top prospect from a team.

Leery of Kjerstad.  Ks a lot, doesn't walk enough, chases.  Not headliner material, to me.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Leery of Kjerstad.  Ks a lot, doesn't walk enough, chases.  Not headliner material, to me.

The relatively bad year Cease had may mean something, may not. But it definitely will cause other teams to hold onto their most elite prospects for him. We will be getting the less brighter. And I say again, if the Sox are truly rushing this process, they are  degrading the ultimate returns.

2 hours ago, Romeo_Santiago81 said:

With the Orioles, the conversation has to start with Mayo and Basallo, would love Holliday but I am sure Baltimore ain't moving him, but if they do not start with Basallo and Mayo, move on!0

All the first base prospects!

• TLR 1

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

He improved his K rate, which was perfectly fine already in 2023, from 26% in 2022 to just under 21%. I'd take that from most of the guys on our current roster. Not sure I agree with the K rate discussion. As for walks, he is around 10%.

5 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

He improved his K rate, which was perfectly fine already in 2023, from 26% in 2022 to just under 21%. I'd take that from most of the guys on our current roster. Not sure I agree with the K rate discussion. As for walks, he is around 10%.

Well, that's why we're in this position

Those are okay Major League K and walk rates.  But he earned those in the minors.

Edited by GreenSox

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic