Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Pale Sox said:

I wonder if the Reds securing the #2 pick would make them more comfortable dealing top prospects. 

I don't know where the Reds fit into the whole RSN/Bally fiasco but Getz has a tough row to hoe trying to pry prospects out of teams  who now must cling to prospects in order to maximize payroll efficiency. That's why I keep suggesting that he may have to take MLB talent with 2 -3 years of control left along with less prospects while teams are now copying the Tampa model of keeping the farm flourishing by trading away your productive MLB startiers before they become too expensive. It may be very hard to win a World Series Tampa's way but it keeps you at or near the top when done right. But then again it's not easy to win any World Series . Can't say I blame any team that hoards prospects now among the small market teams .

There may be a lot of teams interested in Cease but it's looking like it could take a while .

Of course if you are one of those who think all these tales of financial woe by owners is mostly fabricated BS and accounting tricks then ignore this.

18 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

That last part of Lavine’s post makes this feel so much sweeter, once teams like the O’s, Reds, DBacks, or hell even potentially the Cubs whiff on the big time starters the Sox will get a haul for him. 

Or it could mean no one will meet his price and Cease won't be traded til the mid season deadline and he'll get injured or be even worse than last year .

Or Getz eventually lowers his asking price and we all cry that the return sucks.

Have to balance the downside risk with the upside to be fair.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

I take everything Levine says with a grain of salt, but this would indicate the Sox may prefer younger prospects vs. ones that are closer to the MLB. 

This makes sense because the Sox are not close to being competitive in the next season or two. 

I am not sold that the Sox can receive two pitching prospects as the headliners in a deal though. So much risk. 

Edited by steveno89
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

I take everything Levine says with a grain of salt, but this would indicate the Sox may prefer younger prospects vs. ones that are closer to the MLB. 

This makes sense because the Sox are not close to being competitive in the next season or two. 

Eh...it may also just be a reflection on what CIN has.

Macsandz reported we asked for Cowser and Norby + from BAL and both those guys are MLB ready so it's just a reflection of their likes in each system IMO. 

I think we all agree 2024 will be awful but if you are correct that they are planning on 2025 being awful too (w/very low payroll) they might as well sell high on Robert now after his monster season. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

What is your plan to get legit players at RF and 2B then? 

They were already talking tha DeJong/Lopez is the starting middle infield. Hopefully Montgomery can stick at SS. I was watching MLBN the other day and they were talking to some player, I forget who, and he threw out Montgomery, who apparently he trains with. Their trainer is also a hitting coach. He said Montgomery will be a star. 

1 minute ago, Quin said:

If we're able to get multiple players back for Cease, some can be pitchers and some can be position players.

That's probable with LAD, but the mix doesn't really work elsewhere. 

For example, in the CIN package mentioned I don't really see it as a "mixed" package either because those aren't premium bats. They're more like nice add ons rather than savage talents.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

They were already talking tha DeJong/Lopez is the starting middle infield. Hopefully Montgomery can stick at SS. I was watching MLBN the other day and they were talking to some player, I forget who, and he threw out Montgomery, who apparently he trains with. Their trainer is also a hitting coach. He said Montgomery will be a star. 

What does Montgomery have to do with RF or 2B?

And I asked about legit players not DeJong/Lopez. 

We need to get some potential savages that we can look forward to. Isn't JR about dangling the carrot with at least an aura of hope? Where is the fucking hope?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Eh...it may also just be a reflection on what CIN has.

Macsandz reported we asked for Cowser and Norby + from BAL and both those guys are MLB ready so it's just a reflection of their likes in each system IMO. 

I think we all agree 2024 will be awful but if you are correct that they are planning on 2025 being awful too (w/very low payroll) they might as well sell high on Robert now after his monster season. 

Cease is the obvious candidate to be dealt, but I do wonder if the Sox entertain the idea of dealing Robert this offseason?

I doubt they do with four more seasons of control short of a gigantic offer.

2024 and 2025 look terrible as things stand right now, it would be wise to put all efforts towards 2026 contention with a quick rebuild. 

15 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

What is your plan to get legit players at RF and 2B then? 

There's really no pressing need to concentrate on those 2 positions when there are major holes all over the roster. At minimum the Sox are going to be very bad this year and maybe slightly less bad the following year

That should be plenty of time to figure out if Sosa and Colas along with the other top prospects can be anything resembling MLB talent and also plenty of time to trade Cease and maybe Robert to bring even more talent into the pipeline and on the roster and make even more trades if any of this years starting pitchers on short term contracts results in some tradable value and start resembling a team that can compete in the Central by 2026.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

14 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

That's probable with LAD, but the mix doesn't really work elsewhere. 

For example, in the CIN package mentioned I don't really see it as a "mixed" package either because those aren't premium bats. They're more like nice add ons rather than savage talents.

Jorge is a pretty nice bat.

• Like 1

Give me all those sweet Orioles positional prospects please.

We have at least 15 interesting pitching prospects I can name off the top of my head (in rough order of readiness):

1. Jared Shuster*
  2. Nick Nastrini
  3. Jake Eder*
  4. Christian Mena
  5. Ky Bush*
  6. Matt Thompson
  7. Jonathan Cannon
  8. Sean Burke
  9. Peyton Pallette
  10. Noaz Schultz*
  11. Tyler Schweitzer*
  12. Juan Carela
  13. Tanner McDougal
  14. Grant Taylor
  15. Seth Keener

I’m sure I’m missing some others and it doesn’t include Davis Martin.  My point is there lots of arms and they will be coming in waves.  Now, outside of Schultz, most of these guys are probably middle to back of the rotation guys, but maybe you get lucky with one or two and they exceed expectations.  We also have the #5 pick next year and might be able to add a college arm who can move fast.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Give me all those sweet Orioles positional prospects please.

We have at least 15 interesting pitching prospects I can name off the top of my head (in rough order of readiness):

1. Jared Shuster*
  2. Nick Nastrini
  3. Jake Eder*
  4. Christian Mena
  5. Ky Bush*
  6. Matt Thompson
  7. Jonathan Cannon
  8. Sean Burke
  9. Peyton Pallette
  10. Noaz Schultz*
  11. Tyler Schweitzer*
  12. Juan Carela
  13. Tanner McDougal
  14. Grant Taylor
  15. Seth Keener

I’m sure I’m missing some others and it doesn’t include Davis Martin.  My point is there lots of arms and they will be coming in waves.  Now, outside of Schultz, most of these guys are probably middle to back of the rotation guys, but maybe you get lucky with one or two and they exceed expectations.  We also have the #5 pick next year and might be able to add a college arm who can move fast.

I’d say this list of pitchers is not much better than any other org. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

this guy nailed it.

And "everyone else" is free to avail themselves of the benefits of paying 150-200 million dollars instead, while grappling with little regional TV money simultaneously.

I'm sure owners will love to hear that their coaches would rather put ownership in that position rather than... you know ....doing their jobs to help players improve and fix things.

And I'm sure said coaches will have no trouble answering ownership when they ask "Then what the hell am I paying you for?"

Chris Getz should wipe his ass with any written offer that doesn't include two Top 100 prospecta plus a useful third piece. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, now do the same thing for positional prospects and compare it to other orgs.  After the big three, our positional depth falls off massively.

Sox farm is lacking big time overall, no doubt

Take a look at a deep farm, like the Dodgers for example, compared to the Sox and it shows you how far they need to come. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic