Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

A potential Cease suitor down if this happens, cool with it though, wasn’t high on the DBacks potential offers unless it included Jordan Lawler which he never was. Figure to be in on Cease: Orioles, Dodgers, Reds, Red Sox, Braves, Padres, Giants, Mets, Cards, Rangers, Yankees, DBacks

IMG_9687.jpeg

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cue the Balta signal!

literally no reason to trade him until the cream of the crop starting pitchers go off the market. some team that is coveting starting pitching will miss out. more of a competition with Glasnow and Bieber IMO, there must be some balance between waiting for Yamamoto, Snell, Ohtani to sign deals and losing out because Glasnow and Bieber were exchanged for teams we should've dealt with. 

19 minutes ago, nrockway said:

literally no reason to trade him until the cream of the crop starting pitchers go off the market. some team that is coveting starting pitching will miss out. more of a competition with Glasnow and Bieber IMO, there must be some balance between waiting for Yamamoto, Snell, Ohtani to sign deals and losing out because Glasnow and Bieber were exchanged for teams we should've dealt with. 

This is only really true if the offers you’re getting for him aren’t great and you’re hoping that some team gets desperate. 

If you had one or two nearly acceptable offers, you stop wasting your time on leaks and figure out a way to get it done. Any team making a legit offer with the type of return you’d want has several options. Offers can go away. Cleveland or Tampa might have started the offseason with high prices for their pitchers and decide to drop their asks to ensure they remove payroll now that the Winter Meetings are over, and suddenly your trade partner vanishes.

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

Both overly expensive salaries and ONLY one one-year deals, so not really directly in competition with Cease as much as the FA guys...would obviously be even more appealing to mid and small-market teams, which one can't say about the top of the free agency market.

Plus at best quite uncertain injury histories.

The one who's closest to competing would be Logan Gilbert, but it's far from certain SEA would move him...especially based on their recent series of moves to open up an additional $40 million of payroll space.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

They need 2.

Cole, Rodon, Cortes, and Schmidt is their current rotation. That's 1 ace with 3 question marks behind. They need 2 SP.

And you can't be ALL that certain about Rodon and Cortes after how they ended 2023...Cortes needs at least one more year of a track record, to say that he's a "given" in reality.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

This is only really true if the offers you’re getting for him aren’t great and you’re hoping that some team gets desperate. 

If you had one or two nearly acceptable offers, you stop wasting your time on leaks and figure out a way to get it done. Any team making a legit offer with the type of return you’d want has several options. Offers can go away. Cleveland or Tampa might have started the offseason with high prices for their pitchers and decide to drop their asks to ensure they remove payroll now that the Winter Meetings are over, and suddenly your trade partner vanishes.

if I'm the Sox, I'm waiting around for STL or Baltimore to get desperate. Maybe no team does and you take a risk keeping Cease until the deadline. I think it's reasonable to expect that he will be better than he was last season and that health won't be a concern. As such, I don't see a reason to ship him out as soon as possible just to do a deal, but I do expect better offers will materialize when those free agents go off the board. I also don't hate the idea of eventually signing him to a long term extension. At the very least, he sells tickets. Personally speaking, I went to 3 Sox games this year specifically on days that he was pitching. I hope this is the leverage Getz and co are using against other teams, that they're not actually that desperate to trade him and that he could be a mainstay on the Sox for a long time.

Don't know what qualifies as a nearly acceptable offer, but another SoxTalk poster made a good point about ATL adding Kelenic to their package, and it makes their offering nearly acceptable, though not necessarily a home run like a Winn/Hence or Cowser/Kjerstad trade might be (in my eyes). Cease is also a better, more reliable, pitcher than either Glasnow or Bieber (again, IMO) on better salary terms and should command a better return in a vacuum, though perhaps not in reality if those teams acquire either one of those guys or otherwise shore up their starting pitching.

I'd rather take the risk in waiting and potentially re-sign Cease rather than trade him for questionable talent, especially because we're a Chicago team and not "small market" like those other teams. We don't need to shed salary, there's no reason for us to be desperate, we should capitalize on desperation like Atlanta does...the Sox could model their actions, the markets are similar in terms of population and household income (spending money at a game and on merchandise) when considering that there's another team in town. 

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And you can't be ALL that certain about Rodon and Cortes after how they ended 2023...Cortes needs at least one more year of a track record, to say that he's a "given" in reality.

That's what I'm saying. Cole is the only one you can count on. They have a very shaky rotation. They need 2 reliable SP to anchor that behind Cole. Obviously they will be in on Yamamoto, but if they don't convert on him, they might be desperate. This is why I've been saying I wanted Getz to wait on Cease until the FA SP thins out. The Yankees just created another SP hole by trading away King. Now they should become a suitor, especially since they have 5 or 6 starting OFers now, and that's counting Stanton who has locked up that DH spot. 

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

the issue is that the Yanks young talent isn't that interesting, at least for our team, outside of Volpe. I guess a trade for Volpe/Dominguez would be pretty good, but it doesn't excite me personally, would rather just keep Cease. Plus I doubt NY goes for it. 

5 minutes ago, nrockway said:

if I'm the Sox, I'm waiting around for STL or Baltimore to get desperate.

Everybody here thinks Rick Hahn and KW were the biggest idiots on the face of the Earth. When they were "desperate", they traded Steele Walker and Konnor Pilkington to fill holes. I'm not sure why everybody thinks other teams will be dumber than the dumbest organization on Earth when it comes to filling holes on their roster. 

2 hours ago, nrockway said:

• Love 2
  • Hawk 1

21 hours ago, fathom said:

Busch, Rushing and a pitcher makes too much sense

Logic would dictate Reds will utilize one of their young position players to acquire an impact SP. Noelvi Marte or Encarnacion-Strand. I'd assume it's Marte with Jeimer Candelario signed as a Bridge to (ideally) Cam Collier. Reds getting aggressive is great for Baseball.

I could certainly see a deal with the Reds materializing as they look to contend in the NL Central 

Plenty of interesting packages could be put together 

Edited by steveno89
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, nrockway said:

the issue is that the Yanks young talent isn't that interesting, at least for our team, outside of Volpe. I guess a trade for Volpe/Dominguez would be pretty good, but it doesn't excite me personally, would rather just keep Cease. Plus I doubt NY goes for it. 

There's no way the Yankees would part with Volpe and Dominguez for two years of Cease. Volpe is one year removed from being a top-10 prospect in all of baseball, and Dominguez was looking to crack the top-50 last year before tapering off a bit.

Personally, I would kill for Volpe and Dominguez for Cease, but it ain't happening.

11 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

That's what I'm saying. Cole is the only one you can count on. They have a very shaky rotation. They need 2 reliable SP to anchor that behind Cole. Obviously they will be in on Yamamoto, but if they don't convert on him, they might be desperate. This is why I've been saying I wanted Getz to wait on Cease until the FA SP thins out. The Yankees just created another SP hole by trading away King. Now they should become a suitor, especially since they have 5 or 6 starting OFers now, and that's counting Stanton who has locked up that DH spot. 

I don’t love the packages they could put together. We should be able to get a much better 2nd piece from other teams

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

That is severely missing a 2nd piece

I'd say that both of those young guys look really good so far also not close to MLB Maybe make the 4th guy is another in that category or someone who is already there but lower ceiling. 

I am also high on Marte, so I guess that plays in to not needing at top 75 second piece. 

1 minute ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

I'd say that both of those young guys look really good so far also not close to MLB Maybe make the 4th guy is another in that category or someone who is already there but lower ceiling. 

I am also high on Marte, so I guess that plays in to not needing at top 75 second piece. 

What about Lowder or whatever his name is the Sox asked for yesterday.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic