Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Manaea/Montas/Clevinger definitely one tier down due to a variety of issues.   Giolito and Stroman also tarnished.

It's Snell/Montgomery............Imanaga, then a big drop down.   Some teams are also putting Yariel Rodriguez pretty darned high up there, the Sox, not so much, seeing his ceiling as a reliever.

Then you've got Bieber/Burnes...MAYBE.

If I’m Elias, I know my team is better with Cease. I know I have a surplus of prospects. But I also went through a lot of painful seasons to get to where I am, plus I won 100 games and only lost Gibson. It’s possible a couple of my starters take a sep forward. I’d trade for Cease but on my terms or roll the dice with 1 or 2 of the previous list. I just need a competitive roster and can reassess my roster and the market at the trade deadline. I feel zero pressure to make a move right now.

Now if all of those guys sign elsewhere, then maybe I feel more pressure.

If I’m the Padres, Mets, Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, Red Sox, then I might covet Cease more, as I want to fire up my fan base and have a stacked rotation.

7 minutes ago, striker said:

If I’m Elias, I know my team is better with Cease. I know I have a surplus of prospects. But I also went through a lot of painful seasons to get to where I am, plus I won 100 games and only lost Gibson. It’s possible a couple of my starters take a sep forward. I’d trade for Cease but on my terms or roll the dice with 1 or 2 of the previous list. I just need a competitive roster and can reassess my roster and the market at the trade deadline. I feel zero pressure to make a move right now.

If I’m the Padres, Mets, Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, Red Sox, then I might covet Cease more, as I want to fire up my fan base and have a stacked rotation.

Mets will have a longer timeline than two years.

7 minutes ago, striker said:

They lost their All Star closer who is probably a big reason they outperformed their run expectancy last year.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Build a package for Cease around Pete Crow-Armstrong and Madrigal.  Buy our playoff tickets.

Madrigal has almost zero trade value and we already have our own version of him in Little Nicky.  Why would you want two of the same terrible player?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They lost their All Star closer who is probably a big reason they outperformed their run expectancy last year.

Yep..a fact that Os fans can’t seem to wrap their heads around.

Not to mention, they built things up early because of what Cano did and that proved to not be sustainable either.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Like 1

@Timmy U - Random question for you, but what are your thoughts on Jacob Gonzalez?  I know generally speaking he’s been viewed as a disappointment since being selected, but what is the main driver of that?  Is it his unorthodox swing not flashing much power potential post draft?  The below average speed and 2B/3B risk were always there from what I can tell.  Given that Jacob’s plate discipline appears to be plus, it seems he should have a pretty high floor unless the power is non existent or there’s a massive hole in his swing I’m not aware of.

The reason I ask is because of a potential Cease trade with the Orioles could obviously involve a middle infielder like Ortiz or Norby.  If we feel like Gonzalez is a high floor guy, does it even make sense having the second piece of a trade be someone like Ortiz?  I get we’re talking about a prospect with a plus glove in Ortiz and he’d allow us a lot more flexibility with our infield alignment, but I do hate that he turns 26 next year and worry he just ends up being an all glove  SS who you are immediately looking to replace.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

@Timmy U - Random question for you, but what are your thoughts on Jacob Gonzalez?  I know generally speaking he’s been viewed as a disappointment since being selected, but what is the main driver of that?  Is it his unorthodox swing not flashing much power potential post draft?  The below average speed and 2B/3B risk were always there from what I can tell.  Given that Jacob’s plate discipline appears to be plus, it seems he should have a pretty high floor unless the power is non existent or there’s a massive hole in his swing I’m not aware of.

The reason I ask is because of a potential Cease trade with the Orioles could obviously involve a middle infielder like Ortiz or Norby.  If we feel like Gonzalez is a high floor guy, does it even make sense having the second piece of a trade be someone like Ortiz?  I get we’re talking about a prospect with a plus glove in Ortiz and he’d allow us a lot more flexibility with our infield alignment, but I do hate that he turns 26 next year and worry he just ends up being an all glove  SS who you are immediately looking to replace.

Norby likely isn’t a MIer.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Technically he can pretend to play 2B correct?  Or have you already moved him off the position?

He can pretend but I don’t think you want him there, especially if you want to improve your defense.

A spot start here and there may be fine but I think he’s more of an OF/DH type guy.

Maybe he can improve but he really hasn’t so far.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

When you say Madrigal, please tell me you don’t mean Nick?

If the Cubs are successful in resigning Bellinger...Pete Crow-Armstrong will be blocked as is Madrigal.  My belief is we need to find blocked players that are major league ready at our two weakest positions.  I like Madrigal more than most here, but the concept of blocked players is my interest in posting.  The two position players I mention plus a #3/4 potential SP and perhaps a RP with potential would be a very satisfactory return for Cease.

• Paper Bag 1

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Technically he can pretend to play 2B correct?  Or have you already moved him off the position?

Although if you get Norby, you are going to suck in 2024 anyway, so trying him at second and seeing if he can improve and be average-ish may be a smart play.  Obviously his bat looks even better if he can stay at second.

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If the Cubs are successful in resigning Bellinger...Pete Crow-Armstrong will be blocked as is Madrigal.  My belief is we need to find blocked players that are major league ready at our two weakest positions.  I like Madrigal more than most here, but the concept of blocked players is my interest in posting.  The two position players I mention plus a #3/4 potential SP and perhaps a RP with potential would be a very satisfactory return for Cease.

Really good players are never blocked.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He can pretend but I don’t think you want him there, especially if you want to improve your defense.

A spot start here and there may be fine but I think he’s more of an OF/DH type guy.

Maybe he can improve but he really hasn’t so far.

Which is why I’m very low on Norby and don’t buy our front office being interested in him.  Personally, I like a lot of your second tier prospects much better than him.

What’s the plan for DL Hall next year?

13 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Nick Madrigal does absolutely nothing for the White Sox moving forward and has little, if any, trade value. Hard pass. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Opinions vary a bit.  I did see a report on justbaseball.com (which ranks him 76th btw) that says: “Another good athlete, but not a burner, Norby brings above average speed to the table and excellent footwork/actions at second base. He has good hands and an average arm. He should be an above average defender at the position.”   https://www.justbaseball.com/prospects/mlb-top-100-prospects-2023/#entry-18497   However, that’s the only report I’ve seen that describes him as above average.   The founder of Orioles Hangout, Tony Pente, gives this report: 

“Defensively, Norby is not going to provide much value at second base. While he showed improvements in limiting his throwing errors, he still struggles to get his feet under him well and is inconsistent. His range is suspect and he turns the double play a bit slow. He just never looks real smooth out there, but if a team is willing to put up with the below average defense, the bat should play well for the position.”  https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/46487-orioles-2022-9-prospect-connor-norby-2blf/

By the way, if anyone wants to see Tony’s reports on Norby or our other prospects, which are more detailed than most of the national sites, you can find a list of them here:

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/50152-2023-top-75-prospects/

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which is why I’m very low on Norby and don’t buy our front office being interested in him.  Personally, I like a lot of your second tier prospects much better than him.

What’s the plan for DL Hall next year?

We don’t know yet. He wants to be a starter but the Os may need him in the pen.

Most Os fans want him in the pen as a high leverage reliever because he hasn’t shown consistency as a starter.

For me, if the Os don’t add a top end starter, I just want them to give the ball to Hall every 5th day and see what he can do. His ceiling is extremely high but the consistency and health have not been there.

Either way, I think there’s a good chance he’s an important piece in 2024. 

Edited by Sports Guy

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic