Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

So, as it stands right now, your rotation is Cease, Fedde, Kopech, Crochet and Soroka. Toussant probably makes the bullpen, you have Shuster, Scholtens, Flexen and Kuhl behind them, and Mena, Nastrini, Sean Burke and Jonathan Stiever in AA or AAA. Davis Martin probably comes back 2nd half. 

That isn't horrible rotational depth, if there's a plan to nurture soroka, flexen and kuhl. Martin replaces Cease if he's traded at the deadline, and they have enough guys for a revolving door in the 4 and 5 spots. 

Get a RF, and I can see a .500 team if I squint. 

Crochet is not ready to be a full time starter this year. He had 12 innings last year. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Crochet isn't a starter.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Crochet is not ready to be a full time starter this year. He had 12 innings last year. 

Getz is approaching the season accepting that Crochet is getting stretched out to start. I would take 10-15 starts from Crochet as a huge positive. Davis Martin, Mena, Nastrini - somebody will be ready to step in when Crochet's innings are limited. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

Getz is approaching the season accepting that Crochet is getting stretched out to start. I would take 10-15 starts from Crochet as a huge positive. Davis Martin, Mena, Nastrini - somebody will be ready to step in when Crochet's innings are limited. 

He will have 0 starts. 0% chance of him becoming a starter.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

And has never been stretched out for a starters workload. This all matters.

When was the last time he was even available to pitch as a regular reliever? Him starting can't seriously be part of their plans next season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Garrett Crochet has pitched a TOTAL of 217 innings since 2018.. That is 6 years, or averaging 36 innings a season. He has not started more than 1 game since 2019.  He will never be a starting pitcher.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Garrett Crochet has pitched a TOTAL of 217 innings since 2018.. That is 6 years, or averaging 36 innings a season. He has not started more than 1 game since 2019.  He will never be a starting pitcher.

Have you seen the other thread in which Garfein quotes Getz as saying their intention is to use him as a starter in 2024?

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Even if they were planning on trying to stretch him out into a multi-inning opener or something of the sort, he's never shown he can handle the increase workload. Asinine decision making is par for the course but I honestly don't understand how they can expect this to work.

• Like 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Even if they were planning on trying to stretch him out into a multi-inning opener or something of the sort, he's never shown he can handle the increase workload. Asinine decision making is par for the course but I honestly don't understand how they can expect this to work.

Yeah, I guess they could stretch him out to being an "opener" who can pitch 2-3 innings.  But I certainly wouldn't qualify that as a starting pitcher.

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

So he doesn't have a lot of mileage on that arm. I choose to see that as a positive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yeah, I guess they could stretch him out to being an "opener" who can pitch 2-3 innings.  But I certainly wouldn't qualify that as a starting pitcher.

Weren't they also talking about pairing him up with Kopech? Each guy can pitch 3-4 innings of a game. 

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Weren't they also talking about pairing him up with Kopech? Each guy can pitch 3-4 innings of a game. 

I don't know if they've ever talked about it, but I know we fans have. Having both aligned to pitch on the same day is probably wise, but who knows if that's in their plans.

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I know there's some logic and potential here, but as a jaded Sox fan I choose to lol that we're at the "Combine Two Guys To Make One Guy" stage of things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I know there's some logic and potential here, but as a jaded Sox fan I choose to lol that we're at the "Combine Two Guys To Make One Guy" stage of things.

I’d be so pumped at a new concept of pairings.  5 two man pairs on 5 days rest.  And then you have some swing arms accounting for implosions etc.   there would be more nuance to it than that obviously but it’s a cool framework based on our current stables

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

So he doesn't have a lot of mileage on that arm. I choose to see that as a positive. 

That's true but he can't go from 12 innings to 150 in a year. He probably can't go more than 80 or so. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

They could do that. But even then he would be limited to 20 appearances or so. 

7 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I’d be so pumped at a new concept of pairings.  5 two man pairs on 5 days rest.  And then you have some swing arms accounting for implosions etc.   there would be more nuance to it than that obviously but it’s a cool framework based on our current stables

You need really consistent pitchers then. Pitching staffs are usually 13. That means you are scheduling 10 of them. If 2 have back to back bad days, there is no one left for the 3rd day. 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's true but he can't go from 12 innings to 150 in a year. He probably can't go more than 80 or so. 

Yeah, 10-15 starts, then move to the bullpen. Or pair with another arm to go through he batting order once. 

2 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Team stinks, who cares if they try out Crochet at starter. At least Getz is being very transparent 

Because they don't need to pay for another surgery. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic