Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

From what you've heard or just your own speculation?

Might be based on a quote from the Rogers article - 

"Though Jackson Holliday is almost certainly off the table -- a new GM can dream, can't he? -- the teams might line up if corner infielder Coby Mayo can make his way into the deal."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If Mayo can’t stick at 3B, I don’t really love the fit. Unless he can play an average OF defense.

Mayo would be a tremendous get as  headliner from the Orioles. Big Pop and arm. Should be able to play passable third base, or possibly RF. 

• Like 2

From the Bowden piece that was mentioned.

Orioles–White Sox trade proposal: Does Jordan Westburg, either Colton Cowser or Heston Kjerstad, Cade Povich, Ramón Urías and a lower-level prospect or two land Dylan Cease? Would you make that trade as Orioles GM and as White Sox GM? — Michael J.

Chicago’s asking price for Cease has been unrealistic and Orioles GM Mike Elias has done the right thing by continually saying no. However, the White Sox will eventually lower their price to a more realistic package and at that point Baltimore will still be able to outbid the other teams in contention thanks to their strong depth. I think your trade idea/proposal is pretty close to what a final deal should look like.

If the Mets were to consider a trade for Cease, what would the prospect package look like? — Eric F. 

The White Sox have been asking for everyone’s best prospects in the Cease talks so it’s fair to guess that the names they’d be after would be Luisangel Acuña, Kevin Parada, Drew Gilbert, Jett Williams, Mike Vasil, etc. They’ve been looking for a package of three to five top prospects, which I don’t think they’ll get from anyone. I also don’t think the Mets are suitors right now because their new president of baseball operations, David Stearns, wants to be able to see these prospects for himself in spring training and wants to build the organization through scouting and player development, and to make a trade of this magnitude would set that process back. So, don’t expect a Cease trade to the Mets because it’s not happening this offseason.

Craig Breslow has spoken about wanting to improve Boston’s rotation this offseason and hasn’t been afraid to make big trades (Alex Verdugo to the Yankees, Chris Sale to the Braves). What starting pitcher do you think the Red Sox could acquire via trade if the team decides Marcelo Mayer, Roman Anthony, and Kyle Teel are off-limits, but other prospects are on the table? — Tim K.

The Red Sox have made a lot of moves this offseason but I’m not sure their major-league team is any better than it was when the season ended. They’ve had trade discussions with the White Sox regarding Cease, but those have never gotten any traction. They touched base with the Brewers on Corbin Burnes and that went nowhere, and they had a conversation with the Marlins about Jesús Luzardo that also came up empty. Free agency remains their best shot at improving the rotation this offseason, but I’m not sure Red Sox ownership is willing to step up and pay the price it will take to land one of the top starters.

Edited by DirtySox

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bowden’s latest article in the Athletic is a bunch of Q&A, but with several questions on Cease.  Says to no surprise that the Orioles & Yankees are leading the pursuit and that Getz is asking for too much right now.  He then addressed a specific question on a hypothetical from BAL of Westburg + Kjerstad/Cowser + Povich + Urias + a lower level prospect or two and said that “should be pretty close to what a final trade would look like”.

I’d be pretty ecstatic if we could get Westburg + Kjerstad + Povich.

Urias doesn’t really have value. Basically just a throw-in piece.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If Mayo can’t stick at 3B, I don’t really love the fit. Unless he can play an average OF defense.

Absolutely agree.  If he can't stick at 3B/OF (Which I have no knowledge of), I'd rather have Cowser/Kjerstad.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

That's definitely less than some of the deals we talk about here (like Povich as a 3rd piece from O's).

Hypothetically, the Orioles could be offering something like Kjerstad, Norby and Beavers, but the Sox are asking for Westburg also.  I do think all the headlines of “Sox will hold on to Cease” are overblown based off what Rogers wrote.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hypothetically, the Orioles could be offering something like Kjerstad, Norby and Beavers, but the Sox are asking for Westburg also.  I do think all the headlines of “Sox will hold on to Cease” are overblown based off what Rogers wrote.

It depends how you define “fill-ins.” Could mean a lot of different things. Some may interpret that as anyone outside the mlb top  100 (Povich, beavers, etc. meet this criteria) while others may interpret this as complete lotto prospects that don’t even show up on a team’s top 30 (I don’t think he meant that).

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

Holding on to him would be just about the dumbest thing I can think of. He needs to be gone before they report.

I would rather trade him for an underwhelming  package than see him get hurt and be worthless.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T R U said:

Holding on to him would be just about the dumbest thing I can think of. He needs to be gone before they report.

I would rather trade him for an underwhelming  package than see him get hurt and be worthless.

Not me. I’d rather hold him if the Orioles are only offering one premium prospect (Kjerstad/Cowser for example) and then two or three fringe prospects. 

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Not me. I’d rather hold him if the Orioles are only offering one premium prospect (Kjerstad/Cowser for example) and then two or three fringe prospects. 

This team is flat out going to be noncompetitive in 2024. The time to cash in on Cease is now, while he is still cheap and has 2 seasons of control left. There is no reason at all to run the risk of an injury derailing his value.

This team needs young promising assets, and Cease is one of two chips they have to make that happen. We cannot afford to not cash in on Cease this off-season.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It depends how you define “fill-ins.” Could mean a lot of different things. Some may interpret that as anyone outside the mlb top  100 (Povich, beavers, etc. meet this criteria) while others may interpret this as complete lotto prospects that don’t even show up on a team’s top 30 (I don’t think he meant that).

I don't think he meant "lotto tickets" per se, but I also don't think that means "anyonne outside the top 100." I'm thinking the rest of the package is built with a guy or two from an organizations's 10-30, 15-40 range of a team's sytem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don't think he meant "lotto tickets" per se, but I also don't think that means "anyonne outside the top 100." I'm thinking the rest of the package is built with a guy or two from an organizations's 10-30, 15-40 range of a team's sytem.

Right. I think when he says “fill-ins” it’s a teams #5-15 prospects, depending on the strength of the farm system. Not top 100 mlb prospects but not complete long shots either.

11 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Another question is what is "top end" prospect means to the White Sox?  All subjective and no substance.  

Just now, Snowy Demon said:

Another question is what is "top end" prospect means to the White Sox?  All subjective and no substance.  

Kjerstad, Westburg, Mayo, Cowser, Dominguez, Jones, Hampton from Orioles and Yankees would be a guess 

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

This team is flat out going to be noncompetitive in 2024. The time to cash in on Cease is now, while he is still cheap and has 2 seasons of control left. There is no reason at all to run the risk of an injury derailing his value.

This team needs young promising assets, and Cease is one of two chips they have to make that happen. We cannot afford to not cash in on Cease this off-season.

So if you’re offered Ortiz+Povich+Beavers, you’re taking it? Not me. It’s likely all three fail to become even average mlb regulars. So to me that’s not “cashing in” and I’m taking my chances by waiting.

• Thanks 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So if you’re offered Ortiz+Povich+Beavers, you’re taking it? Not me. It’s likely all three fail to become even average mlb regulars. So to me that’s not “cashing in” and I’m taking my chances by waiting.

I don't think you understood what I meant. I was just saying hypothetically I would rather get an underwhelming package for Cease instead of seeing him get hurt.

I don't think they are going to get an underwhelming package anyways and fully expect him to be traded, but would be incredibly disappointed if he is on this opening day roster.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

I don't think you understood what I meant. I was just saying hypothetically I would rather get an underwhelming package for Cease instead of seeing him get hurt.

I don't think they are going to get an underwhelming package anyways and fully expect him to be traded, but would be incredibly disappointed if he is on this opening day roster.

I will be honest, I want him traded prior to opening day because I really don’t want to have to care how anyone on this roster performs.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

But you didn’t answer the question. I listed a package that I would consider an “underwhelming” package. You’d accept it anyways?

personally, I’d be more disappointed if they accepted something like that versus him being on the opening day roster.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic