Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

And that’s fine. Maybe you just say F it..don’t rebuild because of how the draft is now. Maybe you just roll with what you have and see if you can build while trying to win. That’s fine too.

most of us here lived through 2005 and are content knowing there will never be another white sox team to top them. The O's on the other hand have a chance to build their best team since Ripken started his streak...

but they're balking over giving up their 2026 1B (Mayo) or 2025 RF (Cowser) and 2026 DH (Kjer)

4 minutes ago, scotty22hotty said:

most of us here lived through 2005 and are content knowing there will never be another white sox team to top them. The O's on the other hand have a chance to build their best team since Ripken started his streak...

but they're balking over giving up their 2026 1B (Mayo) or 2025 RF (Cowser) and 2026 DH (Kjer)

All of those guys will be contributors in 2024, including at least one and maybe 2 on OD.

The thing is with these Orioles prospects, at some point, either fans of the Orioles or fans of the White Sox, wherever they may play,  are going to think they suck. Look at all the prospects the Sox got for their 3 guys, Moncada, Kopech, suck. Eloy sucks. Cease used to suck. Gio used to suck, then sucked again. Lopez sucked usually, Dunning got traded for a guy who eventually sucked. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The thing is with these Orioles prospects, at some point, either fans of the Orioles or fans of the White Sox, wherever they may play,  are going to think they suck. Look at all the prospects the Sox got for their 3 guys, Moncada, Kopech, suck. Eloy sucks. Cease used to suck. Gio used to suck, then sucked again. Lopez sucked usually, Dunning got traded for a guy who eventually sucked. 

Last year at this time, people on here would have said hell no to trading Colas.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

James Paxton would be such a letdown for any team going for it lol

Other than Clevinger, he might be the only other free agent pitcher that the Orioles could reasonably afford with their payroll.  I think I heard Heyman also mention Hyun Jin Ryu as an option after Paxton.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

26 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Other than Clevinger, he might be the only other free agent pitcher that the Orioles could reasonably afford with their payroll.  I think I heard Heyman also mention Hyun Jin Ryu as an option after Paxton.

Ryu is my prediction if they sign a FA and not get someone in trade.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Saufley said:

How in the world did this organization go from the 2023 Championship team (expected to be) to this! This has to be the worst run organization in all of professional sports!

Apparently, we were not as good as people thought.  Likewise, I don't think we will be as bad as people think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Likewise, I don't think we will be as bad as people think.

If they keep Cease and solve RF, I think this team could easily be better than last year's. You had negative WAR at 4 positions last year. Just putting replacement level players in RF, 2B, SS and C probably adds 5 wins. 

And just having options vs. Lynn/Kopech/Toussant/Scholtens adds a few more. 

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

If they keep Cease and solve RF, I think this team could easily be better than last year's. You had negative WAR at 4 positions last year. Just putting replacement level players in RF, 2B, SS and C probably adds 5 wins. 

And just having options vs. Lynn/Kopech/Toussant/Scholtens adds a few more. 

Seems to me the Sox are probably done making any multi-million dollar one year free agent signings, outside of picking up guys on very cheap or minor league deals.  If Cease isn’t traded with an OF coming back, I don’t see who is reasonably solving RF outside of Colas.  Also, the rotation is still likely to be terrible even with Cease in it.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

2) So because it happened with one, means it will happen again?  When they traded Quintana, did they try the offseason before, not get what they want and then got more in July? (I don’t remember) either way, even if that’s what they did, it doesn’t mean it will work again

Fwiw, yes, this is exactly how the Quintana deal went. I was starting to worry during the year because he started off the year poorly, even though some of his advanced stats were still good, then a huge offer came around in early July.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Fwiw, yes, this is exactly how the Quintana deal went. I was starting to worry during the year because he started off the year poorly, even though some of his advanced stats were still good, then a huge offer came around in early July.

Thanks for the info.  Do you remember what was being offered in the offseason?  (Or did it even come out?)

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Thanks for the info.  Do you remember what was being offered in the offseason?  (Or did it even come out?)

This was also Quintana’s contract when he was traded.  The Cubs kept him for all 3.5 years, from July 2017 through his second team option for the 2020 season.  I remember Quintana having a ton of value due to his multiple years of cheap control.

17:$6M, 18:$8.35M, 19:$10.5M club option ($1M buyout),20:$10.5M club option ($1M buyout)

The best part of the trade at the time was that two posters on Reddit broke the trade, and they both had hilarious names that were published in ESPN, SI, etc. articles.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/07/13/jose-quintana-trade-white-sox-reddit

Good ol "KatyPerrysBootyHole" and "wetbutt23".  🤣

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This was also Quintana’s contract when he was traded.  The Cubs kept him for all 3.5 years, from July 2017 through his second team option for the 2020 season.  I remember Quintana having a ton of value due to his multiple years of cheap control.

17:$6M, 18:$8.35M, 19:$10.5M club option ($1M buyout),20:$10.5M club option ($1M buyout)

The best part of the trade at the time was that two posters on Reddit broke the trade, and they both had hilarious names that were published in ESPN, SI, etc. articles.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/07/13/jose-quintana-trade-white-sox-reddit

Well that contract certainly matters too. 

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't remember this but I don't think there were a ton of rumors, in part because Hahn pulled off two other major trades that offseason with Boston and Washington so there weren't a ton of buyers left.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic