Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

an update from Bob

Is this a joke?

What does he mean "or"?

Jones AND Hampton have to be the top two pieces in a NYY deal. In no way is Hampton the top piece. A LHS OFer has to be piece 1 (Dominguez/Jones) and then Hampton or Warren and then a good third piece like Lalane or Vivas.

LOL at Elias saying no to even Kjerstad. 

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Is this a joke?

What does he mean "or"?

Jones AND Hampton have to be the top two pieces in a NYY deal. In no way is Hampton the top piece. A LHS OFer has to be piece 1 (Dominguez/Jones) and then Hampton or Warren and then a good third piece like Lalane or Vivas.

LOL at Elias saying no to even Kjerstad. 

I don’t think they’re saying no to Kjerstad. I think Jimmy is right that the problem is the rest of the package.

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don’t think they’re saying no to Kjerstad. I think Jimmy is right that the problem is the rest of the package.

It’s very possible Elias isn’t willing to deal any of their top 5 guys. Cowser and Kjerstad might mean even more to them than we would think due to their outfield FA situation the next few years.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I get it. I’d be fine with Kjerstad but he’s likely moving to 1B as well 

I’m cool with wherever they put him as long as they have him, I think his bat is gonna be elite and actually provide power unlike Vaughn

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I get it. I’d be fine with Kjerstad but he’s likely moving to 1B as well 

I don’t think that’s a guarantee…at least not right away.  Orioles have a ton of potential OF options, most who are better defenders, so proactively looking at Kjerstad at 1B makes all the sense in the world for them.  I don’t think he’s unplayable in RF by any stretch of the imagination and if he slows down, you eventually move him to LF.  That LH bat paired with Montgomery gives you the beginnings of what could be a very good middle of the order.

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Well...logically if the top piece is settled the second piece is also settled cause they have to move at least one of Norby/Ortiz cause there's no space so I don't see an issue from their perspective there.

So then that means the holdup is the third piece. They want one of  Povich, Beavers or Bradfield (Robert trade next year?) and Elias is saying no to any of them as the third piece.

So basically it's a staredown over the third piece.

Is that right @Y2Jimmy0?

Why hasn’t the idea of including Gregory Santos with Cease been talked about more? Especially if they are trading with Baltimore? I know they already signed Kimbrel but he’s not making up for the loss of Bautista. Santos can help with that. And perhaps the Orioles would be more willing to give up talent if Santos was included.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think that’s a guarantee…at least not right away.  Orioles have a ton of potential OF options, most who are better defenders, so proactively looking at Kjerstad at 1B makes all the sense in the world for them.  I don’t think he’s unplayable in RF by any stretch of the imagination and if he slows down, you eventually move him to LF.  That LH bat paired with Montgomery gives you the beginnings of what could be a very good middle of the order.

Montgomery 2, Ramos 3, Kjerstad 4 could be special esp if Ramos is the monster Law thinks he can be.

If they can pull Bradfield as the third piece, he would be the leadoff guy. Good OBP and great speed. 

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why hasn’t the idea of including Gregory Santos with Cease been talked about more? Especially if they are trading with Baltimore? I know they already signed Kimbrel but he’s not making up for the loss of Bautista. Santos can help with that. And perhaps the Orioles would be more willing to give up talent if Santos was included.

Because...as @Lip Man 1 has pointed out several times, Santos allegedly has no value because of his potential injury situation

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s very possible Elias isn’t willing to deal any of their top 5 guys. Cowser and Kjerstad might mean even more to them than we would think due to their outfield FA situation the next few years.  

Definitely could be possible, but they have a ton of possible OF options.  Their pitching situation is highly problematic IMO and I think they’d be nuts to not add another quality SP to the mix before the season.  Doesn’t have to be Cease, but hoarding OF prospects because they have one guy hitting free agency after this season is wild to me.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

If all 5 are off limits, it will need to be a prospect quantity package that is soooooo extensive it would give Elias and Mejdal severe heartburn.

Like 7-8 guys and none of them are scrubs.

Ortiz/Norby, Beavers, Povich, Bradfield, McDermott, Horvath, Baumeister, De Leon. 

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Santos has posted videos of him throwing on Instagram this offseason so it doesn’t seem like whatever injury he had at the end of the season is that serious.

Just looking at the Orioles depth chart for their bullpen:

Left:

Cionel Perez, DL Hall, Bruce Zimmermann, Coulombe, Cole Irvin with Akin and Vespi as depth. 

Right:

Kimbrel, Wells, Cano, Webb, Baumann, and Baker with Heasley as back up.  

Honestly, I do not think they are looking at RPs.  Tyler Wells closed for the Orioles during the tail end of 2021 and did very good job. 

6 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

Just looking at the Orioles depth chart for their bullpen:

Left:

Cionel Perez, DL Hall, Bruce Zimmermann, Coulombe, Cole Irvin with Akin and Vespi as depth. 

Right:

Kimbrel, Wells, Cano, Webb, Baumann, and Baker with Heasley as back up.  

Honestly, I do not think they are looking at RPs.  Tyler Wells closed for the Orioles during the tail end of 2021 and did very good job. 

How many of those guys do you trust in high leverage spots in important games? That bullpen doesn’t do much for me.

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

While I don’t believe Santos is untradable like Balta, I certainly think you’d be getting 50 cents on the dollar by moving him now.  Seems like a guy whose value could increase significantly with a healthy & productive first half.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If all 5 are off limits, it will need to be a prospect quantity package that is soooooo extensive it would give Elias and Mejdal severe heartburn.

Like 7-8 guys and none of them are scrubs.

Ortiz/Norby, Beavers, Povich, Bradfield, McDermott, Horvath, Baumeister, De Leon. 

Id take that over a kjerstad, Ortiz and Beavers/povich deal 😂😂 

I wish

26 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Montgomery 2, Ramos 3, Kjerstad 4 could be special esp if Ramos is the monster Law thinks he can be.

If they can pull Bradfield as the third piece, he would be the leadoff guy. Good OBP and great speed. 

I don’t think we can get two OF prospects from the O’s.  I think one of Kjerstad or Cowser is reasonable to give up, but my guess is they’d want to keep both Bradfield & Beavers to ensure enough depth & flexibility down the road.

But I agree with you on the first point.  Ramos is highly slept on, but is a much better prospect than most realize.  I believe Fangraphs has him in the 60’s on their big board and I just saw another site that had him in that range as well.  The bat speed & power are legit, very solid plate discipline for his age, and he should at least be average defensively at 3B.  I’d probably project him to be more of a #6 type hitter (if all goes well) on a championship caliber team.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The bulk of the Hangout would do one of plus Ortiz or lower.  If I had to guess, Getz is asking for one of them plus Westburg or has Mayo in the ask somehow.

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

What would you venture is a current offer right now?

No idea. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Possibly but it's weird with Kjerstad. He could end up at 1B and they have Mayo, Rutschman and Basallo 

56 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Well...logically if the top piece is settled the second piece is also settled cause they have to move at least one of Norby/Ortiz cause there's no space so I don't see an issue from their perspective there.

So then that means the holdup is the third piece. They want one of  Povich, Beavers or Bradfield (Robert trade next year?) and Elias is saying no to any of them as the third piece.

So basically it's a staredown over the third piece.

Is that right @Y2Jimmy0?

This is where I disagree. My guess is that Getz is aking for two of: Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo and Westburg and that's the hold up. This is my speculation but maybe he has a timetable in regards to taking one of them with other players and that's been the plan all along. I don't really know. If he's insisting on Cowser/Kjerstad plus Westburg though, Cease likely starts opening day for Sox. I just don't think Sox have any interest in Joey Ortiz as a second piece. I wouldn't. I also don't think Norby sticks at 2B so I'd understand the hesitancy there too. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Again, I’m not excited by Kierstad. I don’t want a corner only, 25 year old rookie coming back as the headlining piece in the deal for Cease. 

Let's get an actual right fielder instead of someone we try to fit into the position.

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

So here’s my thought on this: I’d prefer Westburg as the headliner if I could also get Beavers and McDermott in the deal. I just don’t really have any interest in Joey Ortiz.  

I would think/hope that McDermott or Povich would be on the table. I prefer Povich to be dealt but the Os like their LH starters.

Westburg being on the table makes sense especially since the Os really like Ortiz. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic