Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You would think after years of watching top prospect Kopech walk 5 batters per 9 innings, acquiring a top prospect that actually throws strikes and still gets a bunch of whiffs would be a positive thing. But nah, soxtalk says give me the guy that throws 100 but has no idea where the ball is going lol

I think everyone would be absolutely ecstatic with Thorpe as the #2 piece.

It's him as the headliner that's making everyone go 🧐

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

No he didn't, his best season he averaged 93.1 and 91 for his career. 

I distinctly remember Santana sitting 93-94 at his best and topping out at 95

Also, 93.1 mph average in 2007 is very different than in 2024

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

1 minute ago, Quin said:

I think everyone would be absolutely ecstatic with Thorpe as the #2 piece.

It's him as the headliner that's making everyone go 🧐

I think at a minimum I expected a draft pick as part of the return if you didn't get a legit top 20 guy.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You would think after years of watching top prospect Kopech walk 5 batters per 9 innings, acquiring a top prospect that actually throws strikes and still gets a bunch of whiffs would be a positive thing. But nah, soxtalk says give me the guy that throws 100 but has no idea where the ball is going lol

You'd think after Dylan Cease dropped from an ERA of 2 to an ERA of 4.5 when his fastball dropped by less than 1 mph that Soxtalk would understand the importance of every single mph of one's fastball, but nah, Soxtalk says give me the guy who can't bring that fastball.

Equal and fair, right?

4 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I distinctly remember Santana sitting 93-94 at his best and topping out at 95

Also, 93.1 mph average in 2007 is very different than in 2024

HEre's Santana's 17 strikeout game, I saw 5 on fastballs. They were all between 92-95, with only 1 at 95. 

But yes, 93 in 2005 is 96 now.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

You'd think after Dylan Cease dropped from an ERA of 2 to an ERA of 4.5 when his fastball dropped by less than 1 mph that Soxtalk would understand the importance of every single mph of one's fastball, but nah, Soxtalk says give me the guy who can't bring that fastball.

Equal and fair, right?

Cease also had no clue where the ball was going half the time. Not sure how he is anyway comparable to Thorpe. But yes he shared many similarities with Kopech when it came to his control.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Grienke threw mid 90s when he was at his best. Lincecum did too. 

The other 3 did not pitch in the 2010s or later. 

Greinke's best year was 2015. His vFA was 92.3. Greinke's interesting as there is very little velocity separation among his main pitches. 

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Go to hell.  🤣

Haha I’m serious though. Shields was a low 90’s guy with a killer changeup and good command. Obviously he brings back bad memories for us, but his career would be a fantastic outcome. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Equal and fair, right?

Cease doesn't throw a change up. Of course velocity is going to be more important for him. That doesn't say a lot about Drew Thorpe though. 

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Cease doesn't throw a change up. Of course velocity is going to be more important for him. That doesn't say a lot about Drew Thorpe though. 

The eye test to me was his slider was way worse last season

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I think you’re right because I was one of the few posters advocating for a pitching heavy return in a cease trade. As mentioned this morning, my ideal return was Snelling + Thorpe + low level prospect. Got Iriarte and Zavala instead of Snelling so that’s a little disappointing to me but who knows it might work out.

Plus we were thinking it was going to be Baltimore for so long we got tons of info on their prospects.

We didn't discuss the Padres very much so we're learning about them on the fly and getting conflicting reports.

What we do know about Thorpe is that he's very advanced for his age as a PITCHER, not a thrower who controls with command. The changeup seems to be an extremely effective pitch for him. I'm not discouraged about what I've read about his arsenal but an underwhelming FB will diminish his effectiveness. He's somewhat of a throwback . Stuff turns a lot of heads but being a smart pitcher with command and good secondary pitches really elevates your floor.

4 minutes ago, Jake said:

One thing I'll agree with is that if basically every prospect fails, it would mean our system is worse than we think it is.

I think that is the difference between this rebuild and the first one.  We had some top prospects in the top 50 overall of baseball but we didn’t have much of a quantity of lesser but still quality prospects.  It seems like we have more options now, but I guess we will have to see if this batch pans out.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Risk management. Holding out as long as possible into the season if necessary could increase the returns. But how sure were the White Sox themselves which Cease this is. Maybe get while the getting is (good enough)

I think it's the only Dylan Cease he could be. He's a pitcher who will give you production within a range. Ceiling is a Cy Young pedigree. Floor is a slightly better than average MLB starter. It's more about moving him and not chancing an injury. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Neither does Kopech's control, but I didn't bring it up.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Nah. I just thought it was hilarious how wrong you guys were and it entertains me to see you all twist yourself into a pretzel as to why this deal is so good even though 2 months ago you would have whined like a baby if it was suggested to you this would be the deal.

All the s%*# you guys talked…you deserve it to be thrown back in your faces, just as we would have deserved it if you got the bigger deal you felt you would get.

And the Brewers are in a completely different situation, by the way...retooling on the fly versus a total rebuild after Robert is traded.

Just expect to get a lot of crap if Ortiz and Hall are total flops for Milwaukee.

Undoubtedly the last Cease ST start and Cole news amped up expectations...as well as Rangers Padres Giants involvement.

Did you go to Yankees' boards and provoke them too this week?

Edited by caulfield12

• Heads22 unpinned this topic