Ohtani Watch: Dodgers sign - 700M over 10yrs

caulfield12

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Can’t imagine how upset Angels and Jays fans are.  I’m pumped it wasn’t the Cubs.

I was never really worried about them. Jays are at least a playoff team, and The Dodgers are the Dodgers.  After years of non-competitive Angels teams no way he was going somewhere that couldn’t win right away. 

• Like 1

I hate that it's the Dodgers. He really could have transformed the city of Toronto. A study done at Kansai University put his economic impact in 2022 at $337million. 700 million dollars is a HUGE capital investment, but it's a savvy financial one that could potentially return $3.3 billion. Even if he played for the Cubs, which I would hate as a baseball fan, it could potentially help our city. The rich get richer. Congratulations to Ohtani though.

Edited by nrockway
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

I’m sure it won’t be. They will recoup every single cent of it with merchandise sales and marketing. Plus the deferrals will allow LA to spend even more 

How many jerseys do you need to sell to recoup $700M for a 29 year old coming off his second Tommy John surgery?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

How many jerseys do you need to sell to recoup $700M for a 29 year old coming off his second Tommy John surgery?

The second UCL reconstruction is a big worry. There is a really good chance he won't be the same pitcher. 

• Like 2

For a team like the Dodgers, the extra revenue they can make from Japan now will be huge.

Already a very popular team there. Having Otani (basically a national treasure right now with his own dedicated news updates daily on all channels) on the team now will just add to it.

No idea if it will offset the massive cost of the contract, but it's still worth noting that $700M for the Dodgers is more likely to be offset by Japanese revenue than $700M for the Blue Jays of Cubs, for example.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

For a team like the Dodgers, the extra revenue they can make from Japan now will be huge.

Already a very popular team there. Having Otani (basically a national treasure right now with his own dedicated news updates daily on all channels) on the team now will just add to it.

No idea if it will offset the massive cost of the contract, but it's still worth noting that $700M for the Dodgers is more likely to be offset by Japanese revenue than $700M for the Blue Jays of Cubs, for example.

The Dodgers already being popular in Japan is a negative. It limits growth.

Edited by TaylorStSox