Bummer to ATL

Nokona

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Saved a good chunk of money that won't be reinvested...

There is no money savings…Bummer was at 5.5 in 2024 and minimum 2.5 to buyout….so 8 mil.

Soroka and Lopez alone, are at that figure for 2024.

That being said, I’d rather have any of the 5 dudes they just got, over the lack of enjoyment gained by watching Aaron Bummer pitch.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

There is no money savings…Bummer was at 5.4 in 2024 and minimum 2.5 to buyout….so 8 mil.

Soroka and Lopez alone, are at that figure for 2024.

That being said, I’d rather have any of the 5 dudes they just got, over the lack of enjoyment gained by watching Aaron Bummer pitch.

I feel like adding Soroka to rotation over a gamble in free agency making ~$10M makes it feel like payroll is getting slashed even more than we expect.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Nicky can bring it with the glove so Getz wasn't lying about valuing team defense. Anyone know how Braden Shewmake's glove stands out? I like that in AAA, he had 27 stolen bases to only 1 caught stealing. 

Lopez has been worthless with the bat but his defense and base running have made him a 1 WAR player each of the past 2 seasons. That's something at least. He can't be any worse than TA or the awful 2B the Sox have trotted our there the past 2 years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Lopez has been worthless with the bat but his defense and base running have made him a 1 WAR player each of the past 2 seasons. That's something at least. He can't be any worse than TA or the awful 2B the Sox have trotted our there the past 2 years.

No doubt in my mind that Dejong-Lopez will be the middle infield to start the season 

10 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Nicky can bring it with the glove so Getz wasn't lying about valuing team defense. Anyone know how Braden Shewmake's glove stands out? I like that in AAA, he had 27 stolen bases to only 1 caught stealing. 

Per Pipeline:

Shewmake’s defense has improved to the point at which the metrics point to him being one of the better defensive shortstops in the Minor Leagues. He’s not flashy, but he has great hands, plus instincts and an above-average arm, leading other teams to ask about him because of his glovework.

They have him at 60 Fielding/55 Arm.

Edited by Autumn Dreamin
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I feel like adding Soroka to rotation over a gamble in free agency making ~$10M makes it feel like payroll is getting slashed even more than we expect.

To be fair, there is no one not named Luis Robert who should be salvaged on this roster, anyways. No point in paying for FA gambles, when this team is nowhere close to being competitive. I like moves like this.

• Like 4

Just now, Capn12 said:

To be fair, there is no one not named Luis Robert who should be salvaged on this roster, anyways. No point in paying for FA gambles, when this team is nowhere close to being competitive. I like moves like this.

Yep, if you can find one starting player in this trade, it’s a huge win.

2 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Saving Jerry more money to take to the grave. Gotta love it

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Like, this feels worse than if they would gamble on say Montas or Severino (or signing both).

This is a solid haul. Few lottery tickets and a number of guys that will at least be members of the 26 man roster at some point for a RP that has straight up been bad. 

I also suspect the Braves will get the most out of Bummer because that’s what good organizations do, but it wasn’t going to happen here 

• Like 7

• bmags featured, unfeatured and unpinned this topic