Bummer to ATL

Nokona

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Yeah, virtually guaranteed we'll be watching Bummer in high-leverage situations on TV next October, listening to how he "just never got traction with the White Sox, but has been a revelation here in Atlanta with a chance to perform on the big stage..."

Nah it's mental with him. He will fail perhaps even harder

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 1

Shuster is kind of interesting because his fastball is a truly horrific pitch. Only gets whiffs 9% of the time and gets killed when they aren't whiffing. He only throws it 45% of the time, but maybe even that is too much. Maybe we can figure something out to play up his strengths. Back in the Don Cooper days, I'd be looking for him to show up with a cutter.

4 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

No way, think of the Sale deal. That's the most realistic package. 

Robert is not Juan Soto. 

Robert is coming off a 5 WAR season at a premium position (something Soto does not play) cost much less in money and is cost controlled till 2027 (Soto 2025). He will absolutely get a haul. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

No way, think of the Sale deal. That's the most realistic package. 

Robert is not Juan Soto. 

Why would you want that? Most of this board hates Moncada abd would love to see Kopech gone as well. When you have a guy like Robert, you keep him until it makes no sense not. You can't get a guy with his talent with 4 years of control at his pay rate.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jake said:

Shuster is kind of interesting because his fastball is a truly horrific pitch. Only gets whiffs 9% of the time and gets killed when they aren't whiffing. He only throws it 45% of the time, but maybe even that is too much. Maybe we can figure something out to play up his strengths. Back in the Don Cooper days, I'd be looking for him to show up with a cutter.

First big test for Bannister. I’m not a fan of Shuster but maybe they see something with him.

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why would you want that? Most of this board hates Moncada abd would love to see Kopech gone as well. When you have a guy like Robert, you keep him until it makes no sense not. You can't get a guy with his talent with 4 years of control at his pay rate.  

I'm talking about what Moncada, Kopech and Basabe were thought of as prospects in 2017. Not what they ended up being. 

So you're talking a top 5 prospect in the game, a top 40 prospect in the game, a top 150-175 guy and an interesting pitcher. 

Does that make more sense? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I'm talking about what Moncada, Kopech and Basabe were thought of as prospects in 2017. Not what they ended up being. 

So you're talking a top 5 prospect in the game, a top 40 prospect in the game, a top 150-175 guy and an interesting pitcher. 

Does that make more sense? 

These trades usually don’t work out as well as one would hope. Hahn actually did much better trading  Eaton, Q and Sale than most others trading their controlled stars for prospects and at the end of the day there wasn’t one player most of this board didn’t turn on at some point. The Sox most successful rebuild during JRs time was done by Larry Himes. He kept Fisk and Guillen. Turned out pretty wise.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Robert is coming off a 5 WAR season at a premium position (something Soto does not play) cost much less in money and is cost controlled till 2027 (Soto 2025). He will absolutely get a haul. 

Sox have Robert four more seasons…Soto a FA at end of next season.

Edited by caulfield12

28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Don't talk sense around here......

We have so much hate for this team/organization that we can't understand we have a super star on our hands that we should be building around

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The problem is, that package doesn't exist for most teams. Robert has to return at least 3 top 100 prospects plus 2 or 3, with one of them top 5, and the 2nd a top 20. 

That's the thing. It would have to be one of the greatest packages ever for a single player. It would definitely require some young ML talent, not only minor Leaguers.

Just now, 2Deep said:

Don't talk sense around here......

We have so much hate for this team/organization that we can't understand we have a super star on our hands that we should be building around

I always argued for a second generation rebuild. Trading off Eloy, moncada, kopech, etc. the future "stars" we got in the first generation of the rebuild. Before they were really known commodities. Imagine how stacked the farm would have been. We'd be in good shape now if that was the case. 

1 hour ago, GGajewski18 said:

Soroka and Shuster will be in the rotation next year.

Lopez will be the starting 2B.  Shewmake could be the starting SS to start the season too.  

Gowens.  If he does well, should be a fast riser through the system.

I'm fine with the trade.  No bullpen piece during a rebuild should be making over 5 million anyway.  Let the kids give it a go.  

Now go trade Cease and Eloy

No guarantee they will roster Soroka at $6-7 million except for proving Getz and Bannister/Katz correct…a player with two years remaining is basically just a flip candidate in this situation anyway,

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I always argued for a second generation rebuild. Trading off Eloy, moncada, kopech, etc. the future "stars" we got in the first generation of the rebuild. Before they were really known commodities. Imagine how stacked the farm would have been. We'd be in good shape now if that was the case. 

No they wouldn’t. The biggest flaw with the Sox rebuild is one everyone here noticed from the get go. The same dopes that got you to the point you needed a total rebuild after a decade , using their own words, mired in mediocrity, were the chosen ones to lead the team out of the abyss. The more trades they made, the worse they would have become. Perhaps the best player they did get in the rebuild now is Dane Dunning. I bet the Sox would take him back now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Yeah, virtually guaranteed we'll be watching Bummer in high-leverage situations on TV next October, listening to how he "just never got traction with the White Sox, but has been a revelation here in Atlanta with a chance to perform on the big stage..."

I'm very confident he will live up to his name in ATL. He's never been the same since his bicep injury

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

No they wouldn’t. The biggest flaw with the Sox rebuild is one everyone here noticed from the get go. The same dopes that got you to the point you needed a total rebuild after a decade , using their own words, mired in mediocrity, were the chosen ones to lead the team out of the abyss. The more trades they made, the worse they would have become. Perhaps the best player they did get in the rebuild now is Dane Dunning. I bet the Sox would take him back now.

Whatever the true motivations behind declining Anderson’s option were, I give Getz this much credit - I didn’t see it coming. Would Williams and Hahn have let him go? I really doubt it. It went against White Sox logic and past practices. I didn’t expect Bummer to be traded (and definitely this early), either. I can’t foolishly believe that changing around a couple guys is going to somehow change the deeply entrenched White Sox culture; but I like the start of it. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Whatever the true motivations behind declining Anderson’s option were, I give Getz this much credit - I didn’t see it coming. Would Williams and Hahn have let him go? I really doubt it. It went against White Sox logic and past practices. I didn’t expect Bummer to be traded (and definitely this early). 

I agree with credit here. The worst thing the White Sox could have done this offseason was to insist that they could make themselves win 83 games and be competitive for the AL Central or the Wild Card, every time they do that with a 70 win team it sets them back for years with bad contracts and traded away talent. The two moves they've made so far may not make them better long term, but neither is a move you make when you're going to sell everything out to try to luck your way back to .500 at the expense of the next half decade. 

• Thanks 1

• bmags featured, unfeatured and unpinned this topic