Bummer to ATL

Nokona

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Bummer is 30 years old

I mean a high ceiling each year (can be more than good..great), he's not your average run of the mill relief arm. Five guys who were about to be dfa'd is a crappy haul, one for one trade would move the needle for me. 

Reminds me of when I used to play fantasy football and someone wanted to trade me three guys for my good WR, I already had guys on my bench just as good as those three guys so I was just offered more crap.  

Or when I was a kid and went trick or treating, some houses gave a handful of generic crappy candy, some gave one full size Snickers... What do you think I wanted? 😜

Edited by SoxFest23
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Having had some time to think through this trade, it’s more of a fun one than an actual good one.  Soroka & Lopez were both getting non-tendered and the former only has one year of control left.  Shuster has been bad since reaching AAA with a fastball and broader pitch mix currently unable to get hitters outs.  Shewmake is a middle infielder who is not elite defensively and hasn’t had a league average offensive season since A ball.

To me, this trade pretty much comes down to Shuster and whether Bannister / Katz can fix something with him to make him a viable #4/#5 starter.  I guess if Soroka were to return to form there might be some value to extract there, but it’s greatly capped given his lack of control.  Lopez is a solid backup infielder who can start while we wait for Colson, but not really a needle mover.  No idea what Shewmake offers this 40 man roster.  And I find it laughable for Getz to call this trade “foundational”.  This trade helps our depth in 2024, but most of these guys could be off the 40 man roster as next year.

The A-ball pitcher seems kind of interesting but already 24.

34 minutes ago, SoxFest23 said:

I mean a high ceiling each year (can be more than good..great), he's not your average run of the mill relief arm. Five guys who were about to be dfa'd is a crappy haul, one for one trade would move the needle for me. 

Reminds me of when I used to play fantasy football and someone wanted to trade me three guys for my good WR, I already had guys on my bench just as good as those three guys so I was just offered more crap.  

Or when I was a kid and went trick or treating, some houses gave a handful of generic crappy candy, some gave one full size Snickers... What do you think I wanted? 😜

What kind of “haul” would you expect for a guy like Bummer? Middle releiver with a 6.79 ERA owed a minimum of $6:75 million usually don’t get you a slew of top prospects.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, he’s not a bad throw in, but ultimately is a 24 year old lottery ticket and in my view is a much lesser consideration when evaluating the trade than the four guys who are immediately going on the 40 man roster.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What kind of “haul” would you expect for a guy like Bummer? Middle releiver with a 6.79 ERA owed a minimum of $6:75 million usually don’t get you a slew of top prospects.

Didn't want a "haul" or a slew, just one player with bigger upside than what they got.

I think you are under appreciating Bummer's talent.

38 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Eh. I liked him a little in HS but then he went to Illinois for 5 years where he got hurt and wasn't very good.  I'm surprised he was drafted even as a 9th round money saver.  Maybe he'll get a cup of coffee as a 2 pitch reliever but it's hard to see him as anything more than an org guy. 

7 minutes ago, SoxFest23 said:

I think you are under appreciating Bummer's talent.

Bummer may have talent, but he now qualifies as a project. He's been progressively shittier for 2 seasons. I'd rather the Sox got Ohtani and Trout for Bummer. But realistically, this is probably what was on the table for him. 

Everybody has been saying the White Sox have to get 3-6 project starters to fill out their rotation. They just got two. 

• Thanks 5

If not these specific players, players with similar profiles, would have been available for free. 

But as long as the Sox actually like some of these specific players -  and this isn't like one of those grab-bags of stamps that I used to get as a kid,   this is a fine return for Bummer.  They do need to improve the ML team, and at the every least they'll get a SS out of this deal.  

The opportunity cost, which, I suppose, is a modest prospect with upside, is also modest.

24 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Bummer sucks dude. No matter how many other people say otherwise.

the one thing that makes me think we may regret this, is that the Braves hire and retain coaches based 

on their ability to instruct. if we had traded Bummer to someone like us, i wouldn't worry about a

possible rebound. part of me wants Aaron to have a good year just to spite the Sox' good buddy

coaching staff of recent vintage.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Bummer sucks dude. No matter how many other people say otherwise.

Bummer would underperformed next year again on this team with a 5+ ERA, astronomical GB rate, and a sub-4 FIP.

This is a good move for both teams - Braves can hopefully maximize Bummer's talent, the Sox aren't stuck with his salary, and we get some useful pieces in a (not a) rebuilding year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If you had to pick, would you do the return we got or a 1-for-1 swap of Bummer and Kyle Wright (ok, and Nicky López)?

Shoulder surgery and out for all of 2024? I will probably go with the 5 nontender candidates. The White Sox clearly need warm bodies for 2024; and maybe one of them turns into a useful reliever. With Wright, even if you keep him he’s into arb eligible years before he ever pitches again, and you have to imagine 2025 is almost a rehab and recovery season not one where he’s useful so the best you might get is a useful 2026 and 2027?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Shoulder surgery and out for all of 2024? I will probably go with the 5 nontender candidates. The White Sox clearly need warm bodies for 2024; and maybe one of them turns into a useful reliever. With Wright, even if you keep him he’s into arb eligible years before he ever pitches again, and you have to imagine 2025 is almost a rehab and recovery season not one where he’s useful so the best you might get is a useful 2026 and 2027?

Charlotte is going to need filler too to be honest. Over like half the team opted for free agency last week it seems.

• bmags featured, unfeatured and unpinned this topic