Bummer to ATL

Nokona

It's a good trade. Yes, Soroka is coming off a bunch of serious injuries but his stuff has remained relatively the same particularly his velocity.

He probably won't ever be a frontline starter but even a 4th or 5th starter is more valuable than Bummer. Lopez is nothing special but can be used as a utility guy which is the path you should pursue going to year with these guys rather than signing guys like Garcia to extension.

Shewmake is AAA fodder and since he is out of options will probably be DFA at some point.

Shuster had a good minor career. He doesn't have frontline stuff but once again there is value in having either be a longman or a 5th starter. There is also the potential should he be moved the bullpen he finds a cpl of miles on his fastball

Getting potentially two backend starters with control and an utility player for a reliever is a homerun.

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

It's a good trade. Yes, Soroka is coming off a bunch of serious injuries but his stuff has remained relatively the same particularly his velocity.

He probably won't ever be a frontline starter but even a 4th or 5th starter is more valuable than Bummer. Lopez is nothing special but can be used as a utility guy which is the path you should pursue going to year with these guys rather than signing guys like Garcia to extension.

Shewmake is AAA fodder and since he is out of options will probably be DFA at some point.

Shuster had a good minor career. He doesn't have frontline stuff but once again there is value in having either be a longman or a 5th starter. There is also the potential should he be moved the bullpen he finds a cpl of miles on his fastball

Getting potentially two backend starters with control and a utility player for a reliever is a homerun.

Soroka is a free agent after the 2024 season.  Shewmake has two options left.

19 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

What do you at SS? Play Nickly Lopez and then one of Popeye/Lenyn plays 2B or do you get a regular SS like DeJong and play Nicky at 2B, moving into a platoon with each other when Colson comes up?

I think you wait and see how a Cease trade plays out.  Might get another middle infielder there.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 10:17 PM, Capn12 said:

There is no money savings…Bummer was at 5.5 in 2024 and minimum 2.5 to buyout….so 8 mil.

Soroka and Lopez alone, are at that figure for 2024.

That being said, I’d rather have any of the 5 dudes they just got, over the lack of enjoyment gained by watching Aaron Bummer pitch.

Ah OK. Never mind previous comment. Catching up on the goings on. If there's no money savings, I guess 5 players is better than 1.

On 11/16/2023 at 10:28 PM, Tony said:

This is a solid haul. Few lottery tickets and a number of guys that will at least be members of the 26 man roster at some point for a RP that has straight up been bad. 

I also suspect the Braves will get the most out of Bummer because that’s what good organizations do, but it wasn’t going to happen here 

Unless Chris Getz is a sleeper genius,  This moment seem precarious. Not that I object to blowing it up. The organization needs a complete overhaul. But dealing with the sharks of the League is scary.  Tak care Chris.

20 hours ago, Texsox said:

For anyone looking for a reason to get excited about Sox baseball 2024

This ain't it. But it is a nice win for Getz. 

I'm actually encouraged by this trade.

I made a post a week ago that Getz would or should be shopping among the non-tenders since the 40 was so weak.

The encouraging part is by making the trade he didn't have to wrestle with other GMs and agents once non tenders become Free agents.

He went to one of  the most talented 40s in baseball or A. Anthopoulus came to him. I'd love to give Getz credit but this may have been AAs idea since it was the Braves who wanted Bummer at the trade deadline because the Phillies have a lot of good LH hitters.

I have said that I wanted to see what Getz's 1st significant transaction would be because it would set the tone for what was to come.

Maybe we can put to rest any notion that S. Perez or Merrifield end up on the Sox . With precious few dollars to work with and little talent to trade at least Getz held true to his word about SP depth and defense while increasing depth in the middle infield.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm actually encouraged by this trade.

I made a post a week ago that Getz would or should be shopping among the non-tenders since the 40 was so weak.

The encouraging part is by making the trade he didn't have to wrestle with other GMs and agents once non tenders become Free agents.

He went to one of  the most talented 40s in baseball or A. Anthopoulus came to him. I'd love to give Getz credit but this may have been AAs idea since it was the Braves who wanted Bummer at the trade deadline because the Phillies have a lot of good LH hitters.

I have said that I wanted to see what Getz's 1st significant transaction would be because it would set the tone for what was to come.

Maybe we can put to rest any notion that S. Perez or Merrifield end up on the Sox . With precious few dollars to work with and little talent to trade at least Getz held true to his word about SP depth and defense while increasing depth in the middle infield.

Except odds are that none of those players were going to be on the active roster for ATL.

AA got something he believed was more useful in a proven LHR that they believe has a friend x with coaching and solid infield defense...if it's not Grissom, they will have to find another veteran backup utility infielder. 

Depends what they decide to do with Arcia as well at SS...at any rate, Shuster and Soroka weren't in the 2024 rotation plans.

Seems they might consider Rosario as well as a middle INF patch.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Except odds are that none of those players were going to be on the active roster for ATL.

AA got something he believed was more useful in a proven LHR that they believe has a friend x with coaching and solid infield defense...if it's not Grissom, they will have to find another veteran backup utility infielder. 

Depends what they decide to do with Arcia as well at SS...at any rate, Shuster and Soroka weren't in the 2024 rotation plans.

Seems they might consider Rosario as well as a middle INF patch.

I thought I made it pretty clear that Getz just poached about to be non tendered guys who become Free agents once non-tendered plus some guys who  fit in well with the flotsam at the bottom of the Sox 40 man roster. It's not a stroke of genius or anything and it may have been AAs idea but Idc care what ATL does, my take is a Sox perspective on how we might view the rest of the off season.

Getz is trying to make it clear to any pitcher in Free Agency who considers a Sox offer that defense will be a priorty

Will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Might be working on a Cease trade very soon , maybe Vaughn too since he doesn't fit the athletic or good defense mold. Eloy still can play DH so moving him wouldn't seem to be as high a priorty as moving Cease and Vaughn to continue to The Getz Quest.

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The idea that they might trade for Perez because they think they can win now doesn’t fit with this.

The idea that we must acquire all former royals so Merrifield is on his way…this kinda reinforces that. 

7 hours ago, wegner said:

I thought it was Juan Disgusto?

Either way, he went from our gascan to NL whiz when he went to the other league.

Anyone remember which old Sox GM always tried to get two for one when he traded a player?  Was that Frank Lane or Hemond?  Five for one sounds like a winner if that's how these things are graded.

Anyone r

On 11/17/2023 at 4:56 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I understand depth may be a concern but how many other teams have 7 mlb top 100 prospects in their system? Which I assume the Sox would have after trading Cease and Robert.

They do nothing for a ML season.  Sometimes those rankings are based on quantity and not quality.  You can have a top ranked farm system nd most guys are in low A.  A lot can happen where that means nothing.  We are in the age of fragile players.   This stuff always sounds good on paper. Getting another team's prospects looks good but their coaches don't come along with them. 

Edited by kitekrazy

9 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

How well Bummer does may reflect the performance of Katz. 

How soon will it be though we hear how great he is doing like we heard after a couple of Lynn starts and the Sox version of Lynn appeared in the playoffs.

Sure Bummer might be great for an inning with a decent lead but we'll see what happens in a high leverage situation.

Edited by kitekrazy

I'm glad he's gone.  Seems to me that every time he was brought into a game in a reasonably high leverage situation, his first hitter was usually a lefty, and Bummer would quickly walk him.  Then, he has to face the next two hitters.  

11 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Either way, he went from our gascan to NL whiz when he went to the other league.

Anyone remember which old Sox GM always tried to get two for one when he traded a player?  Was that Frank Lane or Hemond?  Five for one sounds like a winner if that's how these things are graded.

Anyone r

That was Roland's and Chuck Tanner's philosophy for rebuilding the team in 1970-71.

Something that jumped out at me about Soroka when looking through his Statcast numbers, etc.

His most valuable pitch in his good season was his sinker. In his brief MLB comeback, it was not. Statcast measures several inches of lost drop from 2019 to 2023. I strongly suspect his return to form will depend on finding the movement he used to have on that pitch. As a one-time sinkerballer myself, I don't really envy him because I never fully grasped what I did to make it move the way it did. Luckily the high-tech gizmos available today allow for much easier trial and error in practice sessions.

• bmags featured, unfeatured and unpinned this topic