Reynaldo López signs 3 yr deal with ATL

Sleepy Harold

13 minutes ago, Springfield Soxfan said:

Absolutely stunned by the size of this contract.  Not sure who Getz can sign in this market.  That is why JR is pushing trades.  

Trade what tho?

Assuming Robert is off limits, we have only one truly legit tradeable asset in Cease.

I'm not sure what Santos would bring. 

Everyone else is either more or less worthless or untradeable due to salary.

You can't trade when you have almost nothing to trade. 

I think they are stuck here. 

I dont think the Dodgers are willing to allow Pages to be the third piece even though he got hurt and Chicago may be unwilling to have one of the two main pieces be someone who is hurt because they could end up with a flawed pitcher who isn't really high end and a player who may not be the same as the main pieces of compensation.

And from Getz comments about prioritizing defense and athleticism in our bats not just bat only players, I suspect Chicago wants Cowser (instead of Hjerstad) and Ortiz and maybe like Povich and Elias is unwilling to go that far. 

So now we play the game of leaks and we have a good old fashioned Mexican standoff. 

Our supplementary pieces to add into a Cease trade to pull it off apparently aren't impressing anyone because they aren't worth dick and people know it. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

8 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

And from Getz comments about prioritizing defense and athleticism in our bats not just bat only players, I suspect Chicago wants Cowser (instead of Hjerstad) and Ortiz and maybe like Povich and Elias is unwilling to go that far. 

Wouldn't it be something if Getz is saying he's prioritizing defense and athleticism just to make it sound like Moncada is a "hard to get" asset?

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Wouldn't it be something if Getz is saying he's prioritizing defense and athleticism just to make it sound like Moncada is a "hard to get" asset?

Lol....dude no one is going to trade for that salary regardless of what he says. Best thing you can hope for  is Yoyo has a strong first half, gets moved at the deadline for something and Ramos or Montgomery seamlessly fits in at 3rd.

• Like 1

I can believe that Bummer will go to Atlanta and be good, maybe very good for them. But there's no way I think Reynaldo won't be up and down crazy and unreliable like he was for the Sox. IMO, there's no way I see him helping Atlanta take that step to a World Series. 

That blown save against Tampa Bay early in the season started the downward spiral for the Sox last season. It was the equivalent of Engel's dropped foul ball from the year before. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, JoeC said:

There's no reason to trade Moncada anyway.  They won't get anything for him; and if they want salary relief, they will have to give to get someone to take him.  
He's gone in a year, and they don't have anyone else to play 3rd.  He's not a terrible player.
And it's Pedro's job to create a healthy clubhouse culture; can't blame it all on the players.

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, we might have to just sign both Montas and Severino (I originally thought maybe you use 1 rotation spot on one of these guys, not both) at high AAV 1 year deals. Might be looking at a rotation of: Montas, Severino, Kopech, Soroka, Touki to start next year (also, depending on what we get for Cease, that 5th spot could be an MLB ready SP from Dodgers).

I would have kept some of our talent but Chris will have our guys wearing 4A patches on their unis. Even the Charlotte guys couldn't stand the smell wafting in from the old stockyards. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Trade what tho?

Assuming Robert is off limits, we have only one truly legit tradeable asset in Cease.

I'm not sure what Santos would bring. 

Everyone else is either more or less worthless or untradeable due to salary.

You can't trade when you have almost nothing to trade. 

I think they are stuck here. 

I dont think the Dodgers are willing to allow Pages to be the third piece even though he got hurt and Chicago may be unwilling to have one of the two main pieces be someone who is hurt because they could end up with a flawed pitcher who isn't really high end and a player who may not be the same as the main pieces of compensation.

So now we play the game of leaks and we have a good old fashioned Mexican standoff. 

Our supplementary pieces to add into a Cease trade to pull it off apparently aren't impressing anyone because they aren't worth dick and people know it. 

We aren't even sure if Santos will be able to pitch this year due to "forearm soreness..."

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Lol....dude no one is going to trade for that salary regardless of what he says. Best thing you can hope for  is Yoyo has a strong first half, gets moved at the deadline for something and Ramos or Montgomery seamlessly fits in at 3rd.

Not saying it's feasible. Would just be amusing if someone had a ploy like that.

2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

I can believe that Bummer will go to Atlanta and be good, maybe very good for them. But there's no way I think Reynaldo won't be up and down crazy and unreliable like he was for the Sox. IMO, there's no way I see him helping Atlanta take that step to a World Series. 

That blown save against Tampa Bay early in the season started the downward spiral for the Sox last season. It was the equivalent of Engel's dropped foul ball from the year before. 

You're forgetting the Engel and Moncada base running gaffe against Minnesota...tagging up.

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Didn't someone near the trade deadline last year report that talking to teams' scouts, the thought was "get some of those guys out of Chicago?" haha

Questioning Getz, aka the greatest pure developer of talent according to JR since the days of Branch Rickey...the same guy who let Roberto Clemente go?

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

FYI the Braves are sticking to their plan of stretching Reylo out to start.

His last outing was 3.2IP, 1 ER, 3 H (1 HR), 3BB, 2 K. 

His velo was down to 93-95, but the results are solid so far with the usual ST small sample size caveat.

I think he'd be fine as a spot starter or 2 inning reliever. Although if you're paying him $10 million a year, you're better off using him in high leverage relief roles. 

He throws 97-100 as a 1 inning reliever. 93-95 just doesn't work for him since his control is shoddy and he's basically a 2 pitch pitcher. 

• Like 2

Claimed the 5th spot in the rotation to start the season.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/braves-reynaldo-lopez-wins-fifth-starter-spot/

Lopez impressed this spring in stretching back out to start, allowing just two runs with a 9:5 K:BB over 11.2 innings of work. History says Lopez's best role is as a reliever, and the expectation is that's probably where he'll wind up eventually this season.

He went 5IP 2ER in a start yesterday. Somewhat predictably, he misses fewer bats as a starter (7 K/9). All 4 of his ST runs have been solo shots (4 HR in 16.2 IP).

Fellow former Sox Aaron Bummer has 2 scoreless outings in 6 tries, with a 7.11 ERA/1.58 WHIP. Looks like he's still prone to getting bitten by infield singles and RBI groundouts.

• Like 1