The Winter Meetings thread

Lip Man 1

55 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yes. I don’t get why everyone is in such a hurry to ship Colas out. Guy is a year removed from being the exact type Is prospect we need for RF. 2023 was an unmitigated disaster for him and he’s no longer plan A, but he has 2 options and is a gifted player. I see no reason to sell low on him. 

Pedro and possibly Getz have written him off. They may be correct, but I rather give Colas a second chance than sign Merrifield, Duvall, McCutchen or some other fossil for a starting role, or keep trotting Sheets' ass out there which is the Sox current depth chart RFer. Would be fine with a defense only 5th OF who can cover all three positions well but cant hit. The Sox don't have a legitimate backup to Robert.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Pedro and possibly Getz have written him off. They may be correct, but I rather give Colas a second chance than sign Merrifield, Duvall, McCutchen or some other fossil for a starting role, or keep trotting Sheets' ass out there which is the Sox current depth chart RFer. Would be fine with a defense only 5th OF who can cover all three positions well but cant hit. The Sox don't have a legitimate backup to Robert.

Yeah Colas has options. Keep him around as depth at least over Sheets.

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Just play him in AAA.

Naw. If he’s burned his bridge with this staff, trade him for someone else’s busted or injured player. We aren’t getting a new coach, GM, and development staff from this one any time soon, if they don’t want him then don’t keep him.

5 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Well so much for that idea

I just like the idea of getting some more immediate help. I fear a complete rebuild turning into the perpetual Pirates

The Pirates, but minus the actual player development. This team is in serious trouble outside of blinding falling into success like 2005.

• Like 1

why do we assume Colas won't play next season? it reflects more so on Grifol and Getz to give up on him. if he's "undisciplined" and "lacks fundamentals" maybe they should instill those things in him.

Colas needs to start unless somehow Lee Jung-Hoo plays right field for the team next year, at which point ship him and the farm boy out for a bag of chips

• Like 2

3 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

The prior regime decided to give a 5 foot 9 inch left fielder who can't field with no power the highest contract in White Sox history.

The money has been spent, the fans aren't coming, and Jerry isn't going to throw money at this until there is a credible chance to contend, possibly in a few years if a lot of things go right, At least there is a little hope with new people brought in, because success was never ever going to happen under Hahn.

The problem is Jerry wasn't honest about this in August, lying that he is trying to compete now and that hiring Getz helped eliminate any delay. It was false, he knew it was false, Getz knew it was false, but he's not going to call the guy who hired him a liar at his introductory press conference, so he just says nothing at this point but he is doing the right things (churning the roster, bringing in new people, not doing stupid s%*#). Keeping Pedro is Jerry's idea to avoid paying two managers.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

The Pirates, but minus the actual player development. This team is in serious trouble outside of blinding falling into success like 2005.

Those teams from 2000 - 2005 were loaded with talent, and they still needed some "blindly falling" to win it.  This team will need a miracle...or Getz to be a great GM, which I suppose would be a miracle.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SoxFest23 said:

Getz got a bag full of mediocrity for Bummer, I just don't understand the thought that he "won" the trade. 

Like those Cubs call-in shows where they constantly theorized how can you lose a trade where you get 4-6 players for random star player, let's say Rafael Palmeiro...

Except the Braves didn't want to roster/pay for any of them during the 2024 season.

Maybe it marginally improved the White Sox, but certainly not long-term...and the Braves created enough payroll space now to add Kelenic and Gonzalez with all of that incoming season ticket revenue still coming in for the next 3 additional seasons after a World Series win.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoxFest23 said:

Getz got a bag full of mediocrity for Bummer, I just don't understand the thought that he "won" the trade. 

Most of this fanbase wanted to DFA Bummer last summer. Of course that was ridiculous but I’d say the Sox did decently well on that deal. Nothing exciting but some useful pierces for a transitional year and perhaps a couple guys turn into longer term role players. For an underachieving middle reliever coming off a ~7 ERA and getting paid a $7M+, not too bad. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 10:00 AM, fathom said:

Seeing Korey Lee listed as a legit option is so pathetic 

It's looking to me like the failed rebuild will be looked at as The Golden Age of White Sox baseball. After all they made the playoffs 2 years in a row and at one point they were talking about Machado and Harper.

Now we get to hear about Martin Maldonado, DeJong, Nicky Lopez and the rest of the Braves garbage.

It's no wonder people are hyperventilating about a Cease trade. That trade, whenever it happens, will be the pinnacle of excitement for Sox fans this off season.

Reinsdorf has run his teams into the ground thus jeopardizing their TV contract which may be the main reason for what we should all be expecting and that is a lower payroll than all but a few imagined.

We've seen how many teams are cutting back due to what's happening with the Bally situation.

The only big players now seem to be teams on solid footing with their TV deals.

Welcome to a deeper level of fan hell than we were imagining.

This is one ugly situation that Reinsdorf has created.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hey, does anybody here have/use Twitter Lists? I made up a list of baseball writers that I reference during the GM meetings and trade deadline. It has 203 writers, national, SBN sites, Athletic writers, etc.  I'm not actively pursuing subscribers, but feel free, and please let me know if you feel somebody is missing from the list. 

Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Dude at SBNation - Royals' site advances a few trade ideas for the Royals. 

https://www.royalsreview.com/2023/12/4/23982849/five-royals-trade-ideas-heading-into-the-winter-meetings

Salvador Perez, Michael Massey and cash to the White Sox for Michael Kopech, Jonathan Cannon and Luis Rodriguez

Hard Pass

• Quin changed the title to The Winter Meetings thread