Grifol speaks ...

Lip Man 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why did you post this?

That’s the only way you can justify trading Robert…that you can get three 3-5 fWAR floor/ceiling guys for him…along with one complete wild card like a Basabe/Colas type.

Basically there’s something you aren’t satisfied with in even your two best players.  Flaws.  Concerns.  Potential makeup issues from being around Grandal/TA/Moncada/Eloy for some time now.

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not that it matters, but I guess I’m missing the connection to Grifol

Because he said virtually the exact same thing as Getz…

Grifol obviously not directly naming guys like Moncada, Grandal, Eloy, Robert, perhaps Benintendi the first half.

“I guess you can talk about it now, but you couldn’t talk about it at that time because it would probably give competitive advantage. A lot of it was that our guys were hurt. And we spoke prior to, ‘Whatever percent you’re available at today, that’s what I want you to give me.’ Those are things that I’m not going to go on the record after a game or prior to a game and say, ‘So and so can’t give me this because he’s nicked up.’ And that happened a ton, more than what I ever envisioned or have ever been a part of.

“But these guys are talented, and I want them in the lineup. I said this over and over again, ‘I choose the bat over the legs. I’m not expecting so and so to run, because I choose the bat over the legs. If I didn’t, then I wouldn’t play them.’ That happened a lot. This is not an excuse. Injuries played a big part of that.

“And then there were some lapses, too, there were some lapses of lack of focus. But I’m to blame for that, because I’m the one that’s got to fix that and address that. I’ve never hid from that. All I know is that we’re fixing it. Was it a lot? More than what I would want but not as much as the perception is.

“I think the perception has been steadily increasing over the years, and it’s magnified. I don’t compare ourselves to any other club or anything like that, but it’s kind of the way of the game a little bit. But it’s not the way we envision our game. I’m not comparing myself to other teams, but it’s almost like, ‘Oh, this is how we’re supposed to play.’ No, it’s not how we’re supposed to play. And that’s something that I’m going to bear down on.”

https://allchgo.com/1-on-1-with-pedro-grifol-white-sox-manager-talks-what-went-wrong-during-2023-season/

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Wish he wouldn't speak

This. Seriously Pedro, STFU. Your words ring hollow after 101 losses. Any other org and you’d be out of a job. Congrats on landing in the one with zero accountability. What a feather in your cap that is…

• Like 2

I also heard a clip where Pedro praised the Diamondbacks, alluding to their postseason success and wanting the Sox to be faster, more athletic, etc like they are.

The same Diamondbacks that lost the World Series because they didn't have enough offensive firepower. The same Diamondbacks that have recognized that and already traded for Eugenio Suarez.

It's amazing how this organization is consistently steps behind. Next offseason, after they average 2.5 runs/game with a bunch of scrappy athletic guys, they'll talk about how they need more slugging, plate discipline and on base skills because that's how teams in the playoffs succeeded. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I also heard a clip where Pedro praised the Diamondbacks, alluding to their postseason success and wanting the Sox to be faster, more athletic, etc like they are.

The same Diamondbacks that lost the World Series because they didn't have enough offensive firepower. The same Diamondbacks that have recognized that and already traded for Eugenio Suarez.

It's amazing how this organization is consistently steps behind. Next offseason, after they average 2.5 runs/game with a bunch of scrappy athletic guys, they'll talk about how they need more slugging, plate discipline and on base skills because that's how teams in the playoffs succeeded. 

If they are going to play Limp Dick Ball, then there's no chance they'll accept Hjerstad from BAL or Busch from LAD as the main piece (even if offered) and that's prolly why we are hearing about Merrifield in RF which is a massive joke and the pitcher heavy packages from CIN and 

So we are going to trade our prime asset for pitching and weak contact hitters that can run. That's so lame.

We need at least some savagery in the lineup. Alot needs to go right to win with Limp Dick Ball and very little goes right for this ball club. Like every single dude needs to be an OBP monster and can run. 

This is why they are insisting on Cowser. Because even if the 55 power doesn't come, they don't care. He gets on base and he defends and they are more than happy to be in a 3-2 slopfest every night. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

34 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Alot needs to go right to win with Limp Dick Ball and very little goes right for this ball club. Like every single dude needs to be an OBP monster and can run. 

100% this. It's why when there are those rare exceptions that actually have success that way (14-15 Royals, last year's Dbacks), you hear a lot about it. Because it's fucking hard to win that way. It's a stupid thing to just decide to completely emulate, which is why you already see Arizona adding more slugging.

Don't get me wrong, this team does need to get faster and more athletic, but early indications are they're putting all their eggs in that basket and good fucking luck with that.

2 hours ago, Snopek said:

Notice he didn't compare with the Reds or Orioles...since the difference in farm systems is so vast.  Two more hyper aggressive athletic teams who punish you on the basepaths.

2 hours ago, Snopek said:

This is a Jerry run organization. It’s not about winning. Just dangle the carrot.

On 12/5/2023 at 12:00 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

The quote below speaks directly to JR as a person and an owner.  Leland knew JR well, which is why he put him off and signed with Detroit who had an owner willing to spend money on the right players.  Leyland wanted no part of the Jerry show.

“We had a reunion of the 1983 team in 2003, and I asked him about coming back, and he said he wasn’t going to come back [to managing],” Reinsdorf said. “And a couple of years later [in 2006], he comes back in our division [with Detroit]. I called him, with a couple of expletives. He came back, and he did great.”