Jung Hoo Lee

striker

Yes but… this is a rebuild, and he’s likely to get some real money.

The entire offseason has operated precisely like year Two normally would, the only difference is we haven’t traded all our guys yet because they’re all at the nadir of their value, except Cease who will move soon and Robert who could be around for the next push. I expect anyone who recovers value to be jettisoned at the deadline. 

To be honest, if you accept my premise of a rebuild occurring slightly out of order, Getz isn’t doing a horrible job so far. The first real test, though, is typically the trades that he hasnt quite made yet. 

22 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yes but… this is a rebuild, and he’s likely to get some real money.

The entire offseason has operated precisely like year Two normally would, the only difference is we haven’t traded all our guys yet because they’re all at the nadir of their value, except Cease who will move soon and Robert who could be around for the next push. I expect anyone who recovers value to be jettisoned at the deadline. 

To be honest, if you accept my premise of a rebuild occurring slightly out of order, Getz isn’t doing a horrible job so far. The first real test, though, is typically the trades that he hasnt quite made yet. 

This guy is going to get something like $50-75 million, and that might be low.

And a number of Korean stars have failed to translate as positional prospects...so there's almost no way JR would authorize that kind of transaction with Benintendi still on the books.

(Benintendi will likely be cited the next 3-5 years just like Danks was...as a reason for NEVER AGAIN signing pitchers to more than 3-4 year deals)

The Athletic’s Tim Britton projects that Lee will land a four-year, $56 million contract, which would come with an additional posting fee of $10.3 million. The bidding could go higher than that — the rival San Francisco Giants are among other teams interested.

Although recent numbers might not reflect it, Ha Song Kim has spent considerable time helping his friend prepare for the jump to the majors. Lee, who hit .349 with 23 home runs in 2022, hit .318 with just six home runs during his injury-shortened 2023. Besides an early-season slump, there was at least a partial explanation for the decline: Lee perhaps needed time to harness a new swing he had honed with advice from Kim.

In a Korean interview, according to KBO analyst Daniel Kim, Ha-Seong Kim relayed how he struggled in his first experiences against big-league velocity, eventually prompting significant swing adjustments. Lee, with Kim’s help, sought a shorter learning curve while still playing in the KBO in 2023. And he later seemed to find some comfort with his reworked swing; over his final 20 games before a July ankle injury, Lee hit .403 for the Kiwoom Heroes.

https://theathletic.com/5119778/2023/12/07/juan-soto-trade-padres-next-moves/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, bmags said:

I just think this guy is what Getz is saying he wants the new ball club to be. He is relatively cheap. And clearly we are building a more budget SP staff than I expected.

If only we hadn't already spent roughly the same amount on Benintendi...and had his best friend on the team to offer, who just happened to win a Gold Glove as well as very specific swing advice about how to attack 95+ fastballs coming from a lower velocity/junkballers league.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know about this kid, but I will say free agency sucks next year (positional wise at least) so buying a younger free agent a year early (assuming you like them) would make sense.

White Sox can never be progressive enough to market their team to Korean Japanese Taiwanese...Asian community in general on their doorstep.   Sure, they probably have one token ethnic community outreach night per year...but that's just boilerplate stuff in reality.

Sox hats are certainly popular enough around the world...even if lots think it actually says SEX lol.