Chicago Cubs Offseason Outlook brought to to you by Caulfield

caulfield12

When Japanese superstar Shohei Ohtani joined the Angels in 2018, my cousins and I made a bet. How long until he leaves Orange County to join the Los Angeles Dodgers?

We knew it wasn’t a matter of if, but when.

Not just because the Blue Crew is one of baseball’s marquee franchises, while the Halos are as respected as a soul patch. Or because Angels owner Arte Moreno makes NFT investors seem as smart with their money as, well, the Dodgers, who just signed Ohtani to the richest contract ever in professional sports, at $700 million for 10 years.

Nah, we knew Ohtani was fated to leave because he's a young, talented person — and folks like him usually get the hell out of O.C. the moment they can.

We saw the best minds of my generation flee for Austin, Texas, Chicago, New York, the Inland Empire, but especially L.A. — the place our elders taught us to fear as full of crime and liberals. Our friends and relatives left to find opportunities that were impossible in staid, conservative, expensive Orange County. They rarely looked back. When their new neighbors asked where they were from, most would demur and say “Southern California” or “near Los Angeles."

City, civic and county leaders didn't care about this exodus, since O.C. was never meant to be cool. We were the spot where people moved after they made it. Orange County was aspirational, and if you couldn't afford to hack it here, good riddance and don't forget to take along other underachievers like you.

This thinking went on, unchecked, for decades. But it’s finally dawning on the lords of O.C. that losing our young to Los Angeles and elsewhere portends doom.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/column-shohei-ohtani-just-latest-224818706.html

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

When Japanese superstar Shohei Ohtani joined the Angels in 2018, my cousins and I made a bet. How long until he leaves Orange County to join the Los Angeles Dodgers?

Not just because the Blue Crew is one of baseball’s marquee franchises, while the Halos are as respected as a soul patch. Or because Angels owner Arte Moreno makes NFT investors seem as smart with their money as, well, the Dodgers, who just signed Ohtani to the richest contract ever in professional sports, at $700 million for 10 years.

Nah, we knew Ohtani was fated to leave because he's a young, talented person — and folks like him usually get the hell out of O.C. the moment they can.

We saw the best minds of my generation flee for Austin, Texas, Chicago, New York, the Inland Empire, but especially L.A. — the place our elders taught us to fear as full of crime and liberals. Our friends and relatives left to find opportunities that were impossible in staid, conservative, expensive Orange County. They rarely looked back. When their new neighbors asked where they were from, most would demur and say “Southern California” or “near Los Angeles."

City, civic and county leaders didn't care about this exodus, since O.C. was never meant to be cool. We were the spot where people moved after they made it. Orange County was aspirational, and if you couldn't afford to hack it here, good riddance and don't forget to take along other underachievers like you.

This thinking went on, unchecked, for decades. But it’s finally dawning on the lords of O.C. that losing our young to Los Angeles and elsewhere portends doom.

Ok, but how does this impact the Cubby off season?

• Haha 3
  • Love 2

57 minutes ago, dohnut said:

What could we get from the Cubbies if we give them back Cease and Eloy?

They’re not trading PCA or Horton, and I don’t think the Sox would want Morel.  You’re looking more at a quantity type trade with someone like Cassie, Triantos, Brown and Canario 

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Orange County *IS* LA (LA Metro) to everyone from outside the LA area.  And even many inside it.  It's LA's suburbs.  Talking about them like two separate regions sounds weird, like talking about "DuPage County losing its young to Chicago."

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I made the mistake of clicking on the condensed quote ...and holy s%*# what the f*** is he even talking about?

Obviously I didn't write it.

Was toggling back and forth at work and had a couple of classes in a row and it ended up in the wrong thread.

But it actually kinda fits in a way because we're always comparing the two fan bases as well as the inferiority complexes that exist in Flushing/Queens, Anaheim, Oakland, Baltimore...vis a vis the so called dominant franchises in those markets.

So I guess if Eloy and/or Cease end up back with the Cubs and everything comes full circle...then we can bemoan the Northsiders again. But certainly not in the way that Angels fans are rueing every aspect of their existence and certainly in retrospect the fact that Ohtani somehow got away with zero return for replenishing the organization...not to mention desperation trade deadline losses as well.

Edited by caulfield12

On 12/11/2023 at 11:30 PM, caulfield12 said:

I was just told that anything non directly Sox-related shouldn't be posted on the Chicago White Sox FA/Offseason Board, so:

So then we simply shouldn't talk at all about the Cubs...Cubs should be banned entirely from the platform and Diamond Club during the regular season as well.  Ban the Padres and Jared Kelenic, too, whatever.

Ron883 shouldn't be allowed to threaten to leave and become a Cubs' fan over and over and over again, either.

I keep forgetting we have another team in Chicago. It seems unpatriotic of me, if that's the right word, to discuss with myself the possibility of jumping ship. The Cubs actually have a ceiling of 10 over .500 don't they? Until the Sox acquire some guys to cover innings 5 to 9 our ceiling is made of straw. Sox should be active this offseason instead i think they are reluctant to trade their "name" players (Timmy, Eloy, Cease, Moncada, Vaughn).

Edited by greg775

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/latest-mlb-rumors-free-agent-103515760.html

Emmanuel Clase rumored to Cubs…Bellinger still predicted to eventually go to Cubs as well (before Toronto or Seattle).

Alongside the Yankees, the Chicago Cubs are one of the teams most interested in adding to their bullpen. However, the Cubs appear to be looking at more than just the free agent pool. According to Bruce Levine of 670 The Score in Chicago, the Cubs are interested in trading for two-time All-Star closer Emmanuel Clase of the Cleveland Guardians.

Clase's ERA may have ballooned between 2022 and 2023 from 1.36 to 3.22, but he still led MLB in saves for the second consecutive season. Clase is still just 25 years old, and compared to the other available high-end closers, Clase's $14 million over the next three years is remarkably low for a reliever of his caliber. It would take a mighty haul for the Cubs to snag Clase from Cleveland, but the Cubs have one of the most underrated farm systems according to MLB execs, so there is almost certainly some sort of deal that can be worked out.

Hector Neris asking for $50 million over three years.

Snell/Boras asking for $240 million…at least $100 million over current offers.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

MLBTR had Neris estimated at $15 million so unless there’s some bonus or vesting option not in Passan’s numbers this is a serious discount.

Shrugs shoulders at deals for Graveman and especially Joe Kelly…NL Central getting more interesting with Pirates and Reds getting into the mix, too, and Brewers somehow attempting to compete on the fly.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

MLBTR had Neris estimated at $15 million so unless there’s some bonus or vesting option not in Passan’s numbers this is a serious discount.

It’s a good signing.  Some posters here were talking about how the Cubs were having an awful offseason.  Hoyer was always going to spend some money.  He was just waiting on the free agent market to settle down so he could get some deals.

Edited by WhiteSox2023