Glasnow traded to Dodgers

Chicago White Sox

On 12/13/2023 at 4:16 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

I may be in the minority, but I’d want Busch as part of a deal but at a relative discount given his age and lack of position.  Obviously Rushing is the more interesting prospect, but I think he’d weigh down the rest of the package quite a bit.  I think LA realizes that Busch is eroding value and will be looking to cash in even if they don’t get blue chip value for him.

I think Getz is going to want 1 or 2 of Frasso, Stone, Sheehan, Ryan, Hurt or Knack. Those guys are all 25 and Knack is 26. I don't think there's any way a Cease trade is completed without a starting pitcher.

Pages shows a lot of promise.  In his 2nd go round in AA he did very well but it was just 33 games. But he torn his labrum in his 1st AAA game on May16 and missed the rest of the season after surgery. Shoulder injuries impair his power stroke for a bit. He's RH and plays RF ( Cuban ,avg defender , strong arm, nice walk rate.) He could use some AAA time. Previously he was added to the Dodgers 40 to protect him in the Rule 5.

I don't think there's a need to ask for Rushing. You might not have a true headliner because of Busch's  lack of position or 1B only profile but there are worse things than a LH slugging 1st baseman. I suppose you could work with him at 3rd base and see if he can improve there. I still think Eloy has to be gone for him to play .  You could alternate Vaughn and Busch between DH and 1st base. I think he'd be an instant starter for better or worse.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Don’t really love this for the Dodgers, as they need guaranteed innings this year more than anything 

Which means they will pair it with a guy that can soak up innings most likely.  If Glasnow makes sense for any team, it’s as a potential playoff threat for the Dodgers.

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

They’ll bring Kerahaw back

He probably won't be able to pitch again until June/July, but it doesn't really matter to their fans or front office because of his legendary status with the team.  Comebacks from those type of injuries in your mid 30's are pretty dicey, though.

On 12/13/2023 at 1:52 PM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Say the Sox hold onto him and he goes down with TJ in spring. He misses all of 2024, and 2025 is nothing more than him coming back and shaking off the rust. His value is gone just like that.

That is always a risk. I'd also point out the same risk exists for anyone we get back as an example we could get a key prospect back then him get injured during the year and need TJ surgery. There are situations where I would agree with you (mainly pitchers with a history of past injuries *cough* Rodon but cease has been durable the last three years.

With that being said I'm not saying hold onto him if the CWS get a very good offer but like I said a couple of days ago most of the big prospect deals happen at the deadline.

Also I am just going to say it the Rays lost that Glasnow trade big time if he set the market then the market must be very soft right now. The main asset they got from the trade are guys at the ML with control but control of guys who arent stars while valuable isn't worth sacrificing a frontline starter over.

It seems like the Rays used Glasnow to dump Margot which severely diminished the return they received but it also tells us teams dont feel they have to overpay for pitching right now

Edited by wrathofhahn

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

That is always a risk. I'd also point out the same risk exists for anyone we get back as an example we could get a key prospect back then him get injured during the year and need TJ surgery. There are situations where I would agree with cease has been durable the last three years.

I'm not saying hold onto him if the CWS get a very good offer but like I said a couple of days ago most of the big prospect deals happen at the deadline.

Also I am just going to say it the Rays lost that Glasnow trade big time if he set the market then the market must be very soft right now. The main asset they got from the trade are guys at the ML with control but control of guys who arent stars while valuable isn't worth sacrificing a frontline starter over.

It seems like the Rays used Glasnow to dump Margot which severly diminished the return they received

How much did you expect them to get for one year of Glasnow at $25M with his track record of health?  Throw in the dumping of Margot and this is a great deal for the Rays.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

That is always a risk. I'd also point out the same risk exists for anyone we get back as an example we could get a key prospect back then him get injured during the year and need TJ surgery. There are situations where I would agree with you (mainly pitchers with a history of past injuries *cough* Rodon but cease has been durable the last three years.

The difference with a prospect getting hurt is you aren't depending on that prospect to be a difference maker immediately, nor are you depending on them to be used as trade bait.

24 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

It seems like the Rays used Glasnow to dump Margot which severely diminished the return they received but it also tells us teams dont feel they have to overpay for pitching right now.

Eh, I disagree. Glasnow is set to make $25M compared to Cease's estimated $8.3M. Glasnow also has a massive injury history that Cease does not.

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to Glasnow traded to Dodgers
1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

It seems like the Rays used Glasnow to dump Margot which severely diminished the return they received but it also tells us teams dont feel they have to overpay for pitching right now

On the contrary

Several folks here doubted Tyler "Glass Joe" Glasnow with a high salary and 1 year of control would get even a single Top 100 prospect or its equivalent. 

He ended up getting MORE than that. Not only was Pepiot Top 100 before he graduated and had a promising start to his career but TB ALSO foisted onto the LAD salary dump as well.

BTV had the LAD giving up something around 20 MILLION in excess SV to land Glasnows limited services. 

This was the epitome of overpaying for pitching.

If Getz has to settle for a trade with ATL in this market I'm going to scream. 

have to wonder what the dodgers offer for cease is/was. TB got one of their best SP prospects and a player that could be a sox RF starter for 1 season of a 120 inning pitcher...

With mlb-ready Sheehan,Stone, and Grove available they still have enough ammo to get cease but without Pepiot it doesn't look as attractive. Sox still in a position to trade their ace to fill their 2/3/4 SP holes for the next 5 years.

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Rays did send $4 million along with Margot...who costs $10 million guaranteed for 2024 plus a 2025 $2 million buyout.

Close to $35 million saved by Tampa.

Tampa's method of business is just unreal smart. How has Jerry not realized he can MAKE EVEN MORE PROFIT if he just hired all of the Rays staff/executives...