1/9/24 Update: Wander Franco to face lesser charges

South Side Hit Men

17 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I doubt this guy ever plays another MLB game.  He seemingly fled to the DR to avoid charges in Florida, didn’t he?  His career is going to end faster than Addison Russell’s.

I believe the charges have always been in the D.R.  The justice system there is very erratic with the whiff of corruption. Remember when Oneil Cruz looked like he'd never play again?  The Franco situation seems bad right now, but it's very hard to predict exactly how it's gonna end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I believe the charges have always been in the D.R.  The justice system there is very erratic with the whiff of corruption. Remember when Oneil Cruz looked like he'd never play again?  The Franco situation seems bad right now, but it's very hard to predict exactly how it's gonna end.

We're talking child molestation here, not a fatal car accident. Franco is certainly never going to play again in the MLB.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

We're talking child molestation here, not a fatal car accident. Franco is certainly never going to play again in the MLB.

With $700 million contracts at stake and one of the poorest countries in the world (when combined with the other side of the island, Haiti)...it's almost impossible for me to believe we can say anything with 100% certainty just yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

With $700 million contracts at stake and one of the poorest countries in the world (when combined with the other side of the island, Haiti)...it's almost impossible for me to believe we can say anything with 100% certainty just yet.

Trevor Bauer settled his case with his accuser.  Does he look any closer to playing in the MLB in 2024?

• Like 2

So he was maybe 19-20 and dating teen-aged girls. In one case I heard the parents were maybe after his $$$?  Not sure this is something we want to prioritize in terms of criminalizing. If they were too young I suppose yes but this could have been a financial windfall to someone's family no? It is a tough thing to regulate I would say.

One was alleged to be 14. OK that one is over the line but where do you draw it? I know of a case where a senior was dating a sophomore and her dad called the police.

Edited by pcq
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, pcq said:

So he was maybe 19-20 and dating teen-aged girls. In one case I heard the parents were maybe after his $$$?  Not sure this is something we want to prioritize in terms of criminalizing. If they were too young I suppose yes but this could have been a financial windfall to someone's family no? It is a tough thing to regulate I would say.

If he was 19 and dating a 17 year old we can probably pack the pitch forks away. However, one report states that the girl is 14. That's a whole other enchilada.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pcq said:

One was alleged to be 14. OK that one is over the line but where do you draw it? I know of a case where a senior was dating a sophomore and her dad called the police.

You know, pedophilia and statutory rape. 

I hate that you're making me look this up, but Florida's Romeo & Juliet law, which is made to address this exact scenario, does not cover this. A minor under the age of 16 can not consent with a 19-year-old.

2 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Quit some time ago my niece was 14 IIRC and looked like she was 18 or 19 and she had every male teenager in the neighborhood after her, about drove her parents nuts. Did this girl possibly misrepresent her age?

It’s possible, but if she tells you she’s 19, and looks 21, but is 14, if you’re an adult and do certain things, you are in a lot of trouble. Supposedly Franco has had “relationships” with at least 3 underaged girls. It appears this wasn’t an innocent mistake by him. BTW, I wonder what his wife thinks.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What are authorities hoping to gain from searching properties 4-5 months later, after the scandal broke and he had plenty of time to come up with a legal defense?

CYA?

These guys arent the brightest. I would not be surprised if he has pictures or other evidence of an improper relationship sitting around his house.

When you say teenage, how old are we talkin'?

6 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Quit some time ago my niece was 14 IIRC and looked like she was 18 or 19 and she had every male teenager in the neighborhood after her, about drove her parents nuts. Did this girl possibly misrepresent her age?

I feel like you have told this story about your niece multiple times and it’s weird every time 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Grinder said:

ya know, somehow I've managed to go through 30 years of life without ever dating a child. One would think a millionaire (hundred millionaire) athlete has a larger incentive than I to make sure a child bride is not going to ruin his career and life, a person who has a team of people working for him to keep him from screwing up his dynasty-forming wages by possibly doing a background check on someone whose background might be questionable (such as by being a child). 

I don't buy this argument at all. none of us would make this "mistake", an athlete with 182 million more incentives than me isn't going to throw his life away over a clerical issue. is it really hard to believe that a baseball player might just be a regular ol pedophile and that he thought he could get away with it? I guess we'll let justice take its course, and I bet he'll use the same excuse you just outlined, but it doesn't look good for him and I also think it's frankly weird that you're using your teenage niece as an example of why men are just being tricked by children.

Edited by nrockway
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Most people don't react to this scenario with "well, my 14-year-old niece looked like she was of legal age."

• South Side Hit Men changed the title to 1/9/24 Update: Wander Franco to face lesser charges