The OF Thread

Chicago White Sox

Figured this deserved its own thread.  Right now, the White Sox have four guys listed as “Outfielders” on their 40 man roster.  Two of those four are the starting CF & LF.  The other two are Oscar Colas and Gavin Sheets.  Chris Getz has already come out and said that Oscar needs more time in AAA.  That theoretically leaves Gavin Sheets as the de facto RF, which would completely go against Getz’s focus on defense we’ve seen this off-season.

I would be absolutely shocked if Sheets was the primary RF to open the season.  Given the lack of other options, it seems all but a certainty we will be going outside the org to solve RF.  And beyond that, we probably need to add a legit 4th OF to avoid having to use some combo of Sheets and/or Romy in that capacity.  AAA is mostly barren of usable OF talent, so I wouldn’t expect much immediate help from the minors either.

Curious to hear how people would go about solving the OF situation both short and long-term.  Obviously it’s possible for a Cease trade to help address RF, but with the rumored focus on pitching that may not be in the cards.  And free agency isn’t exactly brimming with tons of quality options.

I’ll share my own thoughts, but wanted to get some discussion going.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Figured this deserved its own thread.  Right now, the White Sox have four guys listed as “Outfielders” on their 40 man roster.  Two of those four are the starting CF & LF.  The other two are Oscar Colas and Gavin Sheets.  Chris Getz has already come out and said that Oscar needs more time in AAA.  That theoretically leaves Gavin Sheets as the de facto RF, which would completely go against Getz’s focus on defense we’ve seen this off-season.

I would be absolutely shocked if Sheets was the primary RF to open the season.  Given the lack of other options, it seems all but a certainty we will be going outside the org to solve RF.  And beyond that, we probably need to add a legit 4th OF to avoid having to use some combo of Sheets and/or Romy in that capacity.  AAA is mostly barren of usable OF talent, so I wouldn’t expect much immediate help from the minors either.

Curious to hear how people would go about solving the OF situation both short and long-term.  Obviously it’s possible for a Cease trade to help address RF, but with the rumored focus on pitching that may not be in the cards.  And free agency isn’t exactly brimming with tons of quality options.

If they end up with ATL due to JR forcing pitching to be a priority return, they should insist on Kelenic as the third piece. 

If AA truly is a deal maker and aggressively wants to close this, he will agree to AJSS, Waldrep and Kelenic.

I know...I know ATL does not "intend" on trading Kelenic but the issue is whether they want to get a deal done. 

I read that in 2022 he graded out OK in RF (https://www.si.com/mlb/braves/analysis/what-the-atlanta-braves-are-getting-in-jarred-kelenic#gid=ci02d00a72b000240c&pid=kelenics-not-a-finished-product-at-the-plate)

Harold would worship Getz even more than he already does if this happened.

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is a joke that we are still without a MLB rightfielder, I thought Kevin Kiermaier would have been a good fit but he re-upped with the Jays.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

Left Fielders

Michael Brantley (37)
Corey Dickerson (35)
Adam Duvall (35)
Robbie Grossman (34)
Travis Jankowski (33)
Jordan Luplow (30)
Austin Meadows (29)
Brad Miller (34)
Joc Pederson (32)
David Peralta (36)
Tommy Pham (36)
AJ Pollock (36)
Jurickson Profar (31)
Eddie Rosario (32)
Jorge Soler (32)
Raimel Tapia (30)
Jesse Winker (30)

Center Fielders

Harrison Bader (30)
Cody Bellinger (28)
Adam Duvall (35)
Enrique Hernandez (32)
Aaron Hicks (34)
Kyle Lewis (28)
Rafael Ortega (33)
Brett Phillips (30)
Kevin Pillar (35)
Michael A. Taylor (33)

Right Fielders

Brian Anderson (31)
Kole Calhoun (36)
Joey Gallo (30)
Randal Grichuk (32)
Teoscar Hernandez (31)
Whit Merrifield (35)
Wil Myers (33)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/2023-24-mlb-free-agents.html

Former Royals here include Whit, Soler, Brett Phillips

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Harold has hinted at Whit, which I would absolutely hate.

Worth pointing out that as of now I have no idea who would be the backup CF on this roster either. Last year the lack of a backup CF led to Robert almost never getting a day off until they acquired Thompson midseason. I do continue to think that "pushing Robert to play 155 games" is pretty foolhardy, so someone who can play some CF like Phillips could be a better fit for the roster - assuming they're not finding 2 people and dumping Sheets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Worth pointing out that as of now I have no idea who would be the backup CF on this roster either. Last year the lack of a backup CF led to Robert almost never getting a day off until they acquired Thompson midseason. I do continue to think that "pushing Robert to play 155 games" is pretty foolhardy, so someone who can play some CF like Phillips could be a better fit for the roster - assuming they're not finding 2 people and dumping Sheets.

As is, I think Romy is almost forced onto the roster as utility guy and backup CF, which is obviously not ideal.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Sox brought back Mark Payton in November on a minor league deal after he spent last year in Japanese ball.

They should give Adam Duvall 1/$8-10M.  He can cover all OF positions, and is an ideal platoon partner for both Beni and Colas.  

I still think the Sox need to give Colas a lot of the RF reps in 2024.  Its a lost season.  I am fine with making him earn in AAA for a month or so, but he's the best hope at an internal RF in the org.  Yes, his rookie campaign was dreadful but he's a year removed from being the exact type of guy we'd want back in a Cease deal.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They should give Adam Duvall 1/$8-10M.  He can cover all OF positions, and is an ideal platoon partner for both Beni and Colas.  

I still think the Sox need to give Colas a lot of the RF reps in 2024.  Its a lost season.  I am fine with making him earn in AAA for a month or so, but he's the best hope at an internal RF in the org.  Yes, his rookie campaign was dreadful but he's a year removed from being the exact type of guy we'd want back in a Cease deal.  

There’s no way Getz is spending $8 to $10 million on an outfielder for this team.  It will be some AAAA guy or a discarded and cheap OF from another team.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

Ummm Eloy??? *ducks*

Aren't his numbers far superior when he fields rather than as a DH? Team's not really going anywhere, so I'm not that worried about "injury risk."

Then we can get Salvy to DH! :P

looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Why would Whit sign on for that for a team that loses 100 easily? I’d think he’d go to a contender first. 

Well you've got a guy who has been worth 0 and 0.7 rWAR the last 2 seasons. That's not a guy who is going to get a big guaranteed contract and a starting spot on a competitive team. So, he has to decide on his priorities.

Furthermore, his career earnings are $27 million, which is a lot for me but not a lot for a baseball player. A team offering him $5 million might get him even if a better team offers him $4.5 because $500k is a pretty decent boost to his career earnings.

40 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

Ummm Eloy??? *ducks*

Aren't his numbers far superior when he fields rather than as a DH? Team's not really going anywhere, so I'm not that worried about "injury risk."

Then we can get Salvy to DH! :P

lol - you joke, but I’d be fine with them putting Eloy back out there. Who cares about “injury risk” at this point. Maybe he surprises and we can unload him at the deadline.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Why would Whit sign on for that for a team that loses 100 easily? I’d think he’d go to a contender first. 

Maybe he gets slightly more money here and/or a chance to be traded to a contender (for anything) in June/July. Even if he ends up in a bench role for said team.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well you've got a guy who has been worth 0 and 0.7 rWAR the last 2 seasons. That's not a guy who is going to get a big guaranteed contract and a starting spot on a competitive team. So, he has to decide on his priorities.

Furthermore, his career earnings are $27 million, which is a lot for me but not a lot for a baseball player. A team offering him $5 million might get him even if a better team offers him $4.5 because $500k is a pretty decent boost to his career earnings.

You’re not wrong. The Sox would likely have to overpay, which at that point, why? Just stay away.