Teoscar Hernández to Dodgers

Tnetennba

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Make deferrals illegal

Nah. A cap maybe to limit how much can be deferred as to prevent skirting luxury tax ramifications, but not in favor of an outright cap. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

No, there are still a ton of DH guys left

Is there legitimate hope the Sox are looking to add someone like Duvall or Gallo, or would the price have to get really low before the Sox would consider?

I only see Seattle and the Angles as possible legitimate fits for those two (Colorado, Oakland and other tanking teams excluded). Perhaps the Reds if I squint enough. 

Or are they likely looking at the Ross bin again for someone like an Aaron Hicks, Randal Grichuk Kevin Pillar, Kole Calhoun type bin if any are willing to wear Jerry's laundry for a couple million and they are heading into ST without a single offer?

Are the Sox looking to shed Cease and Eloy to get at $100M?

@Harold's Leg Lift

1 hour ago, fathom said:

No, there are still a ton of DH guys left

Free agents: 1. Rhys Hoskins, 2. J.D. Martinez, 3. Jorge Soler, 4. Justin Turner, 5. Joc Pederson, 6. Brandon Belt, 7. Michael Brantley, 8. Donovan Solano, 9. Carlos Santana, 10. Daniel Vogelbach, 11. C.J. Cron, 12. Garrett Cooper, 13. Joey Votto

(We can also list Bellinger here, although he's more valuable as an outfielder than a first baseman.)

Dave Schoenfield/ESPN.com FA List

23 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Is there legitimate hope the Sox are looking to add someone like Duvall or Gallo, or would the price have to get really low before the Sox would consider?

I only see Seattle and the Angles as possible legitimate fits for those two (Colorado, Oakland and other tanking teams excluded). Perhaps the Reds if I squint enough. 

Or are they likely looking at the Ross bin again for someone like an Aaron Hicks, Randal Grichuk Kevin Pillar, Kole Calhoun type bin if any are willing to wear Jerry's laundry for a couple million and they are heading into ST without a single offer?

@Harold's Leg Lift

Duvall would probably be a decent flip candidate but I doubt the Sox are willing to pay him the $10 million or so it would cost.

I don’t see any reason to sign Gallo at this point.  He has proven he can’t hit above the Mendoza Line for four straight seasons.  He’s a strikeout machine that occasionally hits a homer.  I don’t see him being worth acquiring for any reason.

I’d rather see Eloy DH full time, hopefully stay healthy, and put up a monster first half so they can trade him for something.  I’d also rather see Colas get the at bats in a lost season, rather than Duvall or Gallo.  And ideally, the Sox get back an outfielder that will eventually be starting for them if Colas is a bust.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

@Harold's Leg Lift

There's really no point to hold onto Eloy, unless it's purely for offensive (and defensive on those occasions when inserted) entertainment value/provide a bit of legit protection to Luis Robert and hope for a rebound season so they can shave some savings off his contract and get at least one Tier B/C prospect back.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Free agents: 1. Rhys Hoskins, 2. J.D. Martinez, 3. Jorge Soler, 4. Justin Turner, 5. Joc Pederson, 6. Brandon Belt, 7. Michael Brantley, 8. Donovan Solano, 9. Carlos Santana, 10. Daniel Vogelbach, 11. C.J. Cron, 12. Garrett Cooper, 13. Joey Votto

(We can also list Bellinger here, although he's more valuable as an outfielder than a first baseman.)

Dave Schoenfield/ESPN.com FA List

Michael Brantley just retired.

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Michael Brantley just retired.

Surely a lot of those guys like Votto are in the midst of weighing similar retirement decisions.

Martinez, Turner, Belt, Solano, Santana, Vogelbach, Cron, etc., all getting up there in age.  At best 1-2 seasons left for most of them.  

Like Carpenter/Cruz a year ago.

Brantley has had so many injuries...and made a lot of money, all things considered.  You can be sure he's one of those guys who is thinking mostly about quality of life in retirement and being able to enjoy being able to play with his kids from a physical standpoint.  Will always remember Michael for his father and being a terrible thorn in the side of the White Sox as the quintessential professional hitter for the Indians/Guardians when he was in the prime of his career.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Surely a lot of those guys like Votto are in the midst of weighing similar retirement decisions.

Martinez, Turner, Belt, Solano, Santana, Vogelbach, Cron, etc., all getting up there in age.  At best 1-2 seasons left for most of them.  

Like Carpenter/Cruz a year ago.

Brantley has had so many injuries...and made a lot of money, all things considered.  You can be sure he's one of those guys who is thinking mostly about quality of life in retirement and being able to enjoy being able to play with his kids from a physical standpoint.

Votto said he wants to play one more year.

Red Sox are looking to sell...so they can buy (see Mariners/Padres)

Despite their reported interest in Imanaga, the Red Sox have also expressed interest in trading away either closer Kenley Jansen or outfielder/designated hitter Masataka Yoshida. Both players were signed by the Red Sox last offseason. This seems to be an anticipatory move by the Red Sox, who need to free up some cap space in order to sign free agent Teoscar Hernandez, who has been linked to Boston since the middle of December.

Jansen, 36, still has some value. He was an All-Star in 2023, and although his 3.63 ERA was his highest since 2019, he still provided a solid season outside of rough months in May and September. Yoshida, on the other hand, is still owed a lot of money, and is coming off a season where he posted just 1.4 rWAR. Yoshida could obviously improve, but he was a horrendous fielder and not nearly good enough with the bat (109 OPS+) to warrant other teams spending considerable prospect capital.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/latest-mlb-rumors-imanaga-hernandez-225628143.html

Seriously underestimated how bad Yoshida would be in LF in front of the Green Monster, as he was a really solid hitter for most of the season.  Seem to remember his fWAR being much closer to 2 for majority of season, it was definitely better than Benintendi's if I'm remembering correctly.  Not that this decision would have won the GM any awards or accolades, with Devers equally bad at 3B as well.

I can wrap my head around the Red Sox trading Yoshida. What I can’t wrap my head around is teams wanting to offer actual prospect value without Boston eating money. He could improve, and WAR isn’t everything, but what org is tripping over themselves to pay a 1 WAR DH $18mm/year?

Given that we will suck the next two years, I hope the Dodgers buy themselves the next two World Series so people stop thinking it’s cool that the richest team in baseball outspends the competition and realize that parity is fundamentally broken and will only get worse with time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Given that we will suck the next two years, I hope the Dodgers buy themselves the next two World Series so people stop thinking it’s cool that the richest team in baseball outspends the competition and realize that parity is fundamentally broken and will only get worse with time.

All I know is, I'm going to bet the Dodgers Runline and White Sox opponent Runline every game this season lol maybe even parlay them.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

$8.5M deferred out to 2030 to 2039, so quite as big as it would otherwise seem

This is likely the future of sports contracts, especially in high tax states. These deferrals allow the player to pay much less state tax money on the deferred portion, resulting in more overall money flowing to the player.

• Like 1

I'm expecting what the Dodgers have done every year they play an actual season, overspend like the Mets and Padres the past few years, and come up short as always in the postseason.

Hope they also sign Snell, Bellinger, Hader and Chapman, and end up getting swept once again to some 80ish win wild card team. Would love to see Lance Lynn once again take the ball in an elimination game after the inevitable half dozen injuries and annual Dodgers domestic violence suspension decimates the rotation. Bring back Kershaw as well so he can get b**** slapped in Game 1.

The best part is all these deferrals will hamstring them with likely further penalties for exceeding "luxury taxes" in the next CBA which two dozen teams are fiddin' to impose on teams which dare to field competitive teams. 

14 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

All I know is, I'm going to bet the Dodgers Runline and White Sox opponent Runline every game this season lol maybe even parlay them.

Good call.