Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

Milwaukee stadium sucks, especially when the dome closed. Much more preferred Milwaukee County Stadium as a fan. The new park is very loud and dark inside, looks like every other shitty MLB dome stadium I’ve attended.

Baseball and football are meant to be played and enjoyed outdoors. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Milwaukee stadium sucks, especially when the dome closed. Much more preferred Milwaukee County Stadium as a fan. The new park is very loud and dark inside, looks like every other shitty MLB dome stadium I’ve attended.

Baseball yes.

Football can be amazing in a dome. Ford Field with a packed house might be louder than the original Chicago Stadium.

On 1/26/2024 at 12:59 PM, nitetrain8601 said:

Jerry made his millions in real estate. I don't think people realize how sharp he is when it comes to that type of stuff. Keep in mind, he's responsible for building 2 stadiums in his tenure here while the other owners simply struggled with getting their stadiums renovated. 

I hate Jerry the baseball owner, but JR the business man is more than solid.

Jerry blew it for the other owners when he took the state for a ride . He got infrastructure for the UC.  The Bears Reno of Soldier Field is a disaster for the city and state. Over 20 years later they owe more than it cost. If somebody really thinks JR is going to get most of the money to build a new park from the taxpayers, they are more stoned than Snoop.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Does Wrigley struggle with attendance in April if the team is decent? If the new Sox Park is done right I think it starts to negate some of those weather detractors.

The Sox biggest attendance related issue is drawing people on weeknights before school is out. Hopefully, the better location improves that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeC said:

Baseball yes.

Football can be amazing in a dome. Ford Field with a packed house might be louder than the original Chicago Stadium.

A domed (probably not retractable) stadium in the suburbs that has ample parking, builds up event centers around it, and brings in the occasional Super Bowl, Final Four, NCAA football championship, Beyoncé concert is absolutely ideal for the City and the Franchise. There’s no reason why Chicago can’t be an ideal host of those events, it’s a better city to visit than Houston or Phoenix and they get those events all the time.

The land development and additional events should definitely be enough to make it possible to do this with limited public funding, with ample profit for the team.

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Exactly and if football fans can attend games in sub freezing temperatures surely baseball fans can attend games in the 40s.  

That being said, football is supposed to be played in the fall with the season ending around the 3rd week in December and baseball and the World Series finishing up in October, don’t get me started on hockey in which we see the Stanley Cup finals ending in late June. All these long seasons are because of one word, GREED.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

A domed (probably not retractable) stadium in the suburbs that has ample parking, builds up event centers around it, and brings in the occasional Super Bowl, Final Four, NCAA football championship, Beyoncé concert is absolutely ideal for the City and the Franchise. There’s no reason why Chicago can’t be an ideal host of those events, it’s a better city to visit than Houston or Phoenix and they get those events all the time.

The land development and additional events should definitely be enough to make it possible to do this with limited public funding, with ample profit for the team.

People rather go to warm weather cities (LA, Phoenix, Houston, Miami, New Orleans) during the winter when a Dome would make a difference.

Sure the NFL may give the Bears a Super Bowl as a bone for finagling a half billion to a billion plus out of taxpayers, the same as the one and done they held in a half dozen new northern city stadiums. However, the Super Bowl would never return to the stadium; would only be used as part of negotiations with the state for stadium funding.

Jerry's UC and Soldier Field doesn't want another large venue to compete for concert dates (same with NCAA First Four Rounds). CFB prefers to keep their games within the rotating bowl sites, with Las Vegas added due both to the weather and attractiveness of the city to visitors.

Chicago is having enough trouble trying to get people to keep coming the past few Summers, still well below 2019 numbers (over 60 million). Need to focus on spending to make the average American and Foreign traveler want to come here, not billions for a one time event.

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Exactly and if football fans can attend games in sub freezing temperatures surely baseball fans can attend games in the 40s.  

That being said, football is supposed to be played in the fall with the season ending around the 3rd week in December and baseball and the World Series finishing up in October, don’t get me started on hockey in which we see the Stanley Cup finals ending in late June. All these long seasons are because of one word, GREED.

Let's leave the fans out of the discussion for now.

Have you ever tried to throw a breaking ball when it's 35 degrees out?

Or how about to try to hit a 95 mile an hour fast ball in on your fists when it is freezing out.

I'm not saying I want a dome, what I am saying and I just saw this discussion this morning (the Athletic puts out a daily newsletter) asking the question if the regular season needs to be shortened to say 130 games. The first month of the season is gone and things start on May 1st.

I'd be all for that. 

It's ridiculous that fans and players have to put up with these conditions.

Now if you insist on playing in late March/early April then do what was done for a short period of time, play as many games as possible in warm weather or dome sites.

That was stopped because those teams complained about having to play a lot of home games before school was out and not have as many dates available in the peak summer months.

My answer to that is simple....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Compensate those teams for having to "put up" with doing this for the greater good of the game, the fans and the players. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Let's leave the fans out of the discussion for now.

Have you ever tried to throw a breaking ball when it's 35 degrees out?

Or how about to try to hit a 95 mile an hour fast ball in on your fists when it is freezing out.

I'm not saying I want a dome, what I am saying and I just saw this discussion this morning (the Athletic puts out a daily newsletter) asking the question if the regular season needs to be shortened to say 130 games. The first month of the season is gone and things start on May 1st.

I'd be all for that. 

It's ridiculous that fans and players have to put up with these conditions.

Now if you insist on playing in late March/early April then do what was done for a short period of time, play as many games as possible in warm weather or dome sites.

That was stopped because those teams complained about having to play a lot of home games before school was out and not have as many dates available in the peak summer months.

My answer to that is simple....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Compensate those teams for having to "put up" with doing this for the greater good of the game, the fans and the players. 

No reason MLB can't hold 162 games and return to a credible season and playoff format by going with four four team divisions in each of the two leagues post expansion to 32 teams.

• Opening Day: Thursday, March 28, 2024 (Riverfront Stadium 2 PM EDT) & Friday March 29, 2024
  • Regular Season: 186 calendar days
  • Season Game 162: Sunday, September 29, 2024
  • One Game Division Title Tie-Breakers (if Applicable): Monday, September 30, 2024
  • Division Series (Four Division Winners): October 2-3; 5-6-7; 9-10
  • League Championship Series: October 14-15; 17-18-19; 21-22
  • World Series: October 25-26; 28-29-30; November 1-2.

Division Format (Division 3 X 18 Games = 54 Games + Intra League 12 X 9 Games = 108 Games)

• American League East: Baltimore; Boston; New York; Toronto
  • American League South: Houston; Miami; Tampa Bay; Texas
  • American League Midwest: Chicago; Cleveland; Detroit; Minnesota
  • American League West: Colorado; Las Vegas; Los Angeles; Seattle
  • National League East: Montreal; New York; Philadelphia; Pittsburgh
  • National League South: Atlanta; Cincinnati; Nashville; Washington D. C.
  • National League Midwest: Chicago; Kansas City; Milwaukee; Saint Louis
  • National League West: Arizona; Los Angeles; San Diego; San Francisco

I kept teams changing leagues to a minimum, with two that make geographic / potential better rivals with expansion teams (post 1969) to minimize league disruption.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I’ve never understood this argument by those teams; just do the first two weeks (April 1-15) in the warmer cities and domed stadiums, and then April 16-30 in the others; no one misses out on summer month home games; the colder areas get two weeks to buy some time for better weather.

35 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

I’ve never understood this argument by those teams; just do the first two weeks (April 1-15) in the warmer cities and domed stadiums, and then April 16-30 in the others; no one misses out on summer month home games; the colder areas get two weeks to buy some time for better weather.

NO one wants early April home games after opening day.  It is always the lowest attended type of year, and the southern based teams felt they were getting penalized with more bad attendance games because of it.

15 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I don't think comparing football to baseball is comparing apples to apples. A football game doesn't need to be stopped in excess rain or snow. Baseball does. Football teams have 8 home games. Baseball teams get 81. Less of an opportunity to see a game that (the country would argue) is more exciting=more butts in the seats regardless of the weather. I've been to maybe 5 baseball games in April. Mostly because I had less money back then and those games were super cheap. Unless it's opening day I am not going to a baseball game in the northern states until Mid-May at the earliest. If there were a dome or retractable roof (my preference would be the latter), I would definitely go in the earlier months. I would wager that a lot of people probably feel the same.

And Amfam field in Milwaukee, probably our closest example of this, isn't all that bad. Seattle's park is pretty good too, I hear. In my opinion, all north states should be required to have at least retractable roofs when they build new parks. I know that it costs a lot more money...but still. It baffles me that Minnesota didn't do it for Target Field in 2015.

Edited by ScootsMcGoots

23 hours ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

If they do this I'd like something modeled on Old Comiskey, but that has no upper deck in LF to offer a view of downtown. Even if it isn't the best view, having the city present will be a draw. 

This. It would look incredible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I don't think comparing football to baseball is comparing apples to apples. A football game doesn't need to be stopped in excess rain or snow. Baseball does. Football teams have 8 home games. Baseball teams get 81. Less of an opportunity to see a game that (the country would argue) is more exciting=more butts in the seats regardless of the weather. I've been to maybe 5 baseball games in April. Mostly because I had less money back then and those games were super cheap. Unless it's opening day I am not going to a baseball game in the northern states until Mid-May at the earliest. If there were a dome or retractable roof (my preference would be the latter), I would definitely go in the earlier months. I would wager that a lot of people probably feel the same.

And Amfam field in Milwaukee, probably our closest example of this, isn't all that bad. Seattle's park is pretty good too, I hear. In my opinion, all north states should be required to have at least retractable roofs when they build new parks. I know that it costs a lot more money...but still. It baffles me that Minnesota didn't do it for Target Field in 2015.

Seattle's roof is a large umbrella, it is still open air when closed. You will remain uncomfortable in April, just dry.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

NO one wants early April home games after opening day.  It is always the lowest attended type of year, and the southern based teams felt they were getting penalized with more bad attendance games because of it.

I understand that this is the perception. But in fact, 11 of the 15 stadiums with domes and/or in the warmest cities had their average attendance decrease in the second half of April 2023:

attendance.png

Sure, their home opener would skew that first half of the month avg. higher - but that's sort of the point.

Texas' notable increase in the latter half of the month is quite something, I'll concede - not sure if that has something to do with Dallas-area school schedules for Spring Break or not.

2 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

I understand that this is the perception. But in fact, 11 of the 15 stadiums with domes and/or in the warmest cities had their average attendance decrease in the second half of April 2023:

attendance.png

Sure, their home opener would skew that first half of the month avg. higher - but that's sort of the point.

Texas' notable increase in the latter half of the month is quite something, I'll concede - not sure if that has something to do with Dallas-area school schedules for Spring Break or not.

Take away opening day (for the teams with the decrease anyway) and I wonder how it looks

My problem with a retractable roof is that it'll end up being closed the vast majority of the time.  The home team always prefers to play in a climate-controlled, perfectly comfortable environment.  I read that this happened in Texas after they built their new stadium.  The slightest deviation from perfect weather and they will keep it closed.  Not good for the fans and people who enjoy outdoor baseball.

Edited by Green Line
  • Thanks 1