Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

40 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just for the “lost revenue with no parking lot stuff”…

1) Jerry may still own those lots for the proposed Chicago fire stadium.

2) I encourage you to look at the Braces Holdings earnings reports. Their Battery Park mixed use development is on track to earn $60M in revenue against maybe $10M in costs. What did someone say, Sox have like 7k lots? If they filled every spot every home game at $20 a pop that’s only like $11M before paying any staff/maintenance.

The reason many of us believe this will happen is because it will make people money.

And we don't come close to filling those lots 90% of the time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The one thing 35th is never going to provide is the best view of downtown and a way to incorporate a water/boat entry to the park.

Just feels pointless to keep pushing for a successful project at the site connected with one of the bigger baseball stadium failures in the last 30 years or so.

I'm not even sure which stadium to rank as second worst since 1990.

Location, location, location.  GRF doesn’t have it.  It looks like the new ballpark will.  I love the argument that Sox fans prefer to drive to games, park, and tailgate rather than commute to games and go to bars.  The public transportation commute and bar scene at GRF is weak, which is why fans prefer to do the former.  This is not difficult to understand.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Location, location, location.  GRF doesn’t have it.  It looks like the new ballpark will.  I love the argument that Sox fans prefer to drive to games, park, and tailgate rather than commute to games and go to bars.  The public transportation commute and bar scene at GRF is weak, which is why fans prefer to do the former.  This is not difficult to understand.

Did fans tailgate at Old Comiskey? It’s a newer Comiskey II phenomenon, yes?
Mccuddy’s was before my time, but old timers still lament its loss. Seems fans adjusted to what was available to them pre game. They will adjust to whatever the new park has to offer. It’s not a hard concept. 

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And we don't come close to filling those lots 90% of the time.

And they sit empty 99.99% of the time between games and in the offseason. Imagine instead of a sea of asphalt there were actual businesses fans wanted to patronize that operated 12-14 hours a day and all winter long instead of merely 4-5 hours on game day. 

• Like 2

While I think the River provides a nice aesthetic, I don't think we should care too much about the water transportation. Maybe this will be a huge boon to those companies but they barely run.

Would be great if it set off a group of black cab-like boats picking people up off the docks though. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Look, I’m 1000000% in favor of the South Loop move…

…But…

I don’t get why we keep trying to lump all Sox fans into the same category. Some fans would absolutely prefer to drive to games, park and tailgate. Some fans will absolutely not give a s%*# that there are more bars around the stadium.

The complaining about the complaining and the telling people why they should like something is getting more annoying than the initial complaining.

Like, who fucking cares? Different people want different things.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I haven't seen this posted yet, but for those worried about parking apparently they have a 4,000 car parking garage planned. 

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/sports/white-sox-stadium-plans-78-revealed-architect-renderings

Not to worry. Those complaining about no parking will complain that it’s too much and will cause traffic nightmares 

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

It seems like the majority of Sox fans are excited about this possibility, but there is a part of the fanbase that will always complain about everything.  Whining and stomping around about parking at a stadium that hasn't been built and throwing fits about the thought of maybe using public transportation is wild.  Let's see what happens if and when the stadium is built before throwing our hands in the air and saying the team just move to Nashville.

Sorry, I'm being hyperbolic.  But I swear some people would complain about the taxes if they were given a million dollars.

They’re Byron Hadley, the Chief Guard in Shawshank Redemption 

12 minutes ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

Not to worry. Those complaining about no parking will complain that it’s too much and will cause traffic nightmares 

The new one I'm seeing is that moving parks will drive away the blue collar fans.  No idea why this would happen.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

The new one I'm seeing is that moving parks will drive away the blue collar fans.  No idea why this would happen.  

Just assumptions about price points that "middle class" (however you define that) is willing to pay...

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Your screen name is avreference to It's a Wonderful Life?

The Godfather Part III. Mary was lying dead on the steps of the Opera House after being shot and while Diane Keaton was going hysterical Andy Garcia stood there and yelled “NO!! MARY!!!”

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just assumptions about price points that "middle class" (however you define that) is willing to pay...

Prices are already silly and people still go.  

In recent years, I've been to games in Philly and Miami.  The prices in Philly were no different than Sox and Miami was actually shockingly cheap.  When I went to Citi Field, it was a little pricier but that's probably mostly because its in NYC.

Its funny... I never hear these people worry about keeping payroll down so blue collar fans aren't alienated when prices increase due to increased expenses. 

1 hour ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

For fans living outside the city, there has to be some kind of parking. That also goes for people who have mobility issues, even more so. If the new stadium doesn't have parking to accommodate for people who have physical problems. I will be one fan who won't go. They probably won't miss me, but I won't miss them either. 

15 minutes ago, Highland said:

For fans living outside the city, there has to be some kind of parking. That also goes for people who have mobility issues, even more so. If the new stadium doesn't have parking to accommodate for people who have physical problems. I will be one fan who won't go. They probably won't miss me, but I won't miss them either. 

Pretty sure the ADA requires them to make sure that at least some of the 4,000 stated parking spaces are mobility-compliant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Just for the “lost revenue with no parking lot stuff”…

1) Jerry may still own those lots for the proposed Chicago fire stadium.

2) I encourage you to look at the Braces Holdings earnings reports. Their Battery Park mixed use development is on track to earn $60M in revenue against maybe $10M in costs. What did someone say, Sox have like 7k lots? If they filled every spot every home game at $20 a pop that’s only like $11M before paying any staff/maintenance.

The reason many of us believe this will happen is because it will make people money.

Does Jerry own the lots, or are they part of the lease with ISFA? I assumed the lease would expire along with the ballpark. 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

While I think the River provides a nice aesthetic, I don't think we should care too much about the water transportation. Maybe this will be a huge boon to those companies but they barely run.

Would be great if it set off a group of black cab-like boats picking people up off the docks though. 

It would be a huge mistake to not have water shuttles running from Union/Ogilvie. Ideally you'd have a River North pickup as well. Could even extend to Navy Pier on weekends to lure in tourists/suburbanites.

It could even be a free service the team runs, similar to the Cubs' remote parking shuttles. 

Edited by soxfan18

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/02/08/white-sox-likely-would-have-to-change-state-law-to-get-taxpayer-funding-for-new-stadium/

Allen Sanderson, a senior lecturer at the University of Chicago who studies the economics of sports, said he’s skeptical any new sports venue, including a new downtown White Sox ballpark, can on its own generate billions in new investment.

“Usually when you hear the figure someone gives you on a project’s economic impact, it’s best to take the decimal point and move it one spot to the left, so you end up at about 10% of the original estimate,” he said. “That’s probably what’s going to happen.”

And if the White Sox want to fill a huge new ballpark, ownership will have to field a better team.

“I hate to say this, but at the moment, all five of our pro teams suck. They’re just unwatchable,” Sanderson said

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

2 minutes ago, soxfan18 said:

It would be a huge mistake to not have water shuttles running from Union/Ogilvie. Ideally you'd have a River North pickup as well. Could even extend to Navy Pier on weekends to lure in tourists/suburbanites.

It could even be a free service the team runs, similar to the Cubs' remote parking shuttles. 

You could have a couple 100 seater boats make trips before and after the games and move a decent number of people, no? 

If they were Sox branded boats, that would be really cool haha. 

5 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

You could have a couple 100 seater boats make trips before and after the games and move a decent number of people, no? 

If they were Sox branded boats, that would be really cool haha. 

Somewhere, Jake Peavy is lamenting a missed opportunity:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/jake-peavy-paid-75-000-duck-boat-painting-174557510--mlb.html

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

This is pretty spot on. Apathy and exhaustion runs deep in White Sox nation right now. Are a bunch of tourists and loop office workers gonna be rushing out to fill a stadium of a team that is one of the worse and least exciting in major league baseball? 

45 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/02/08/white-sox-likely-would-have-to-change-state-law-to-get-taxpayer-funding-for-new-stadium/

Allen Sanderson, a senior lecturer at the University of Chicago who studies the economics of sports, said he’s skeptical any new sports venue, including a new downtown White Sox ballpark, can on its own generate billions in new investment.

“Usually when you hear the figure someone gives you on a project’s economic impact, it’s best to take the decimal point and move it one spot to the left, so you end up at about 10% of the original estimate,” he said. “That’s probably what’s going to happen.”

And if the White Sox want to fill a huge new ballpark, ownership will have to field a better team.

“I hate to say this, but at the moment, all five of our pro teams suck. They’re just unwatchable,” Sanderson said

No changing of the law for JR and his billionaire cronies. He can afford to pay for the stadium on his own or find a way to finance it without taking the taxpayers of Illinois for a ride once again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Planning to build a stadium and the construction takes years.  Are they only allowed to begin the process when they are over .500? 

What if they started this process back when they made the playoffs?  When they got bad, should they have scrapped the whole thing?

For all we know, the team will be awesome when this park is completed.

They have an expiring lease.  Its ridiculous to say they can't figure out where they will be playing because the team has been disappointing the last couple of years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

The Godfather Part III. Mary was lying dead on the steps of the Opera House after being shot and while Diane Keaton was going hysterical Andy Garcia stood there and yelled “NO!! MARY!!!”

Disappointing. I thought it was Dumb and Dumber. 

4 hours ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

To me the parking is a red-herring because I am not paying $50 for the privilege it will surely cost. Wondering what the useful life of the new park will be projected as. Also I was waiting on any comments about what the field dimensions should be or what they are considering. Finally, will there be any gender-neutral plumbing accommodations for either the players or the fan(s).  If they extend the river walk it would allow a wonderful safe hike from the Loop offices with a group of walkers.