Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

a little off topic but I just turned 40 and my buddy is about to in a month and I was trying to tell him that if he works out and keeps himself in shape he'll feel about the same new as he did at 30. Yea you got sore easier and your joints are more worn but my workouts are still about the same as they were 10 years ago.

Yea it would be nice to be 25 again, but 40 is not like some magical cliff that you just topple down physically. People need to realize that with weight training, the right supplements (not talking T, just creatine and some others) you can maintain strong physical fitness well into middle age and beyond.

I've been a fitness buff for over 40 yrs now and at age 64 I don't anticipate stopping despite Parkinsons and numerous abdominal surgeries. I'm hoping I can remain vertical until the new park is built. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

Naivete is something one is forced to confront once they realize they have been played.

You mean like the poser Cub fan coming in and trying to play people by asking why the new Sox park mockups don’t have ivy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

This is such poseur writing 

Because I don't know the in's and out's from a business, tax or construction standpoint in Chicago can you clarify where his points in those areas is wrong?

I'd like a better understanding in these areas since I've also read other stories along the same lines including in the Sun-Times and Tribune where JR and the state are going to have a very difficult time justifying the expenses and those reporters are very skeptical he'll be able to do anything without a massive infusion of his own money.  

30 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Because I don't know the in's and out's from a business, tax or construction standpoint in Chicago can you clarify where his points in those areas is wrong?

I'd like a better understanding in these areas since I've also read other stories along the same lines including in the Sun-Times and Tribune where JR and the state are going to have a very difficult time justifying the expenses and those reporters are very skeptical he'll be able to do anything without a massive infusion of his own money.  

Listen a press release on a new development IS likely to do extremely elementary projections and also likely double counting of jobs that already exist, but I can’t stress enough that this massive piece of land is just sitting there unkempt and unused.

We know from the recent riverfront renovations on the east branch of the river that even putting a bunch of expensive box lunch restaurants along a river can create a huge influx of visitors. 

The poo poohing of the affordable housing of the new housing and affordable housing units while trying to position yourself as if you are a homeless advocate is just horse s%*#.

South loop has added a lot of new residences, but it really doesn’t have a lot to do. That is why there would be fewer cars on “Clark street”, (if you lived there you can walk?), and yet we can also see on the other side of Roosevelt a seemingly successful big entertainment development. And that’s just a movie theatre and a mall. Two things people don’t even do that much of. 

The author also is only capable of pointing to references of stadiums when the 78 press releases are about the entire development. Is the cubs buying up existing businesses and renovating a block the equivalent of this? Not really, but the Lincoln Yards project was $6 billion, mix of public financing for infra while private brought the rest. Hudson yards was $25 billion.

Thats what we are talking about. This person just wants to write a “billionaires should build their own stadiums” article because that is an easy and safe place to generate clicks. But they aren’t very smart or interesting to add anything except “oh sure right!0”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 1

53 minutes ago, XplodingScorbord said:

This needs to get done. And then book the 100th anniversary All-Star Game there, as god intends. 

https://medium.com/@blake.baumgartner/do-more-of-what-makes-you-happy-200beb187dd9

Brought that up in this personal narrative about my time in Seattle last July for the 2023 All-Star festivities.

Couldn’t agree more. The ASG has to be here in 2033. Hope MLB does right thing.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/next-landlord-may-pro-sports-205021130.html

Billionaire owners have built dozens of new stadiums and arenas, often with hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer funding. State and local governments spent $33 billion in public funds to build stadiums in North America between 1970 and 2020, with the median public contribution covering 73% of costs, a studypublished last year found. As part of teams’ agreements with cities and states, they have been handed the rights to transform the land around these ballparks into offices, apartment buildings, hotels and shopping malls.

“Stadiums are giant paper weights and are incredibly expensive,” said Geoffrey Propheter, who studies the economics of sports stadiums at the University of Colorado Denver.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/next-landlord-may-pro-sports-205021130.html

Billionaire owners have built dozens of new stadiums and arenas, often with hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer funding. State and local governments spent $33 billion in public funds to build stadiums in North America between 1970 and 2020, with the median public contribution covering 73% of costs, a studypublished last year found. As part of teams’ agreements with cities and states, they have been handed the rights to transform the land around these ballparks into offices, apartment buildings, hotels and shopping malls.

“Stadiums are giant paper weights and are incredibly expensive,” said Geoffrey Propheter, who studies the economics of sports stadiums at the University of Colorado Denver.

Depends on the stadium. If an NFL field is literally only used for home football games, then yeah, it's an expensive paperweight. But if, say, an arena is used for primarily hockey and basketball, but also volleyball and concerts and all other kinds of events, being used every single week, then no, it's not a paperweight. It's an asset to the city that is constantly bringing in revenue and creating jobs.

I don't live in Chicago. How often are Wrigley, Soldier, and Guaranteed Rate used for events other than their respective sports team home games? 

Edited by ScootsMcGoots

3 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I don't live in Chicago. How often are Wrigley, Soldier, and Guaranteed Rate used for events other than their respective sports team home games? 

Soldier Field also hosts maybe 20 or so Chicago Fire MLS games and perhaps a dozen or so concerts.

Wrigley hosts a dozen or so concerts in season, an ice skating rink in the winter and typically one or two Northwestern games or NHL outdoor games.

Sox Park gets a few concerts and high school games, but the high profile events typically select the first two venues.

Pritzker plans to meet soon with the developers. Will be interested to hear what he says after the meeting.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/02/09/pritzker-staff-related-midwest/

On 2/9/2024 at 8:37 PM, Tnetennba said:

Someone hasn’t spent much time in either neighborhood and it shows with every ignorant post. The bit is so tired at this point that he’s insulting our intelligence with its continuance. 

I've been going to Sox Park since 1963, often on the El and have never been mistreated. You have to breathe in the local vibe and run with it. South Loop is fine and the new downtown will be reinvented as the Sox join in. 

4 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Depends on the stadium. If an NFL field is literally only used for home football games, then yeah, it's an expensive paperweight. But if, say, an arena is used for primarily hockey and basketball, but also volleyball and concerts and all other kinds of events, being used every single week, then no, it's not a paperweight. It's an asset to the city that is constantly bringing in revenue and creating jobs.

Wrigley & Soldier quite often. GRF rarely. But I think the latter has more to do with JR and the ISFA. United Center has tons of events year round, even during hockey & basketball seasons. Same for smaller Wintrust. 

Edited by Tnetennba

13 hours ago, BBaum21 said:

https://medium.com/@blake.baumgartner/do-more-of-what-makes-you-happy-200beb187dd9

Brought that up in this personal narrative about my time in Seattle last July for the 2023 All-Star festivities.

Couldn’t agree more. The ASG has to be here in 2033. Hope MLB does right thing.

The 2003 one with the Sox was fun. I would enjoy going again. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Wrigley & Soldier quite often. GRF rarely. But I think the latter has more to do with JR and the ISFA. United Center has tons of events year round, even during hockey & basketball seasons. Same for smaller Wintrust. 

Doesn't JR own the UC? Why would he be OK with events at the UC but not at GRF? 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Doesn't JR own the UC? Why would he be OK with events at the UC but not at GRF? 

Does he own the UC outright or is it co-owned with the Hawks owner? I don't actually know.

GRF sits empty 99% of the time when the Sox aren't playing home games. There has to be a reason why.

• Like 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Does he own the UC outright or is it co-owned with the Hawks owner? I don't actually know.

GRF sits empty 99% of the time when the Sox aren't playing home games. There has to be a reason why.

I know it co-owned but JR got the financing and runs it kind of like the Sox. He's the chairman. 

7 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Probably cause the location isn't really great for people that enjoy going to concerts. What are they gonna do when the concert ends? 

Or are they expected to tailgate?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Probably cause the location isn't really great for people that enjoy going to concerts. What are they gonna do when the concert ends? 

At some point partying in a parking lot just becomes sad. Especially since they are in mortal danger... of getting towed or being stuck after the gates are locked.

9 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

At some point partying in a parking lot just becomes sad. Especially since they are in mortal danger... of getting towed or being stuck after the gates are locked.

But for some reason, we have the #SaveTheParkingLots movement going on 

24 minutes ago, Quin said:

I would expect the tailgaters to outnumber the concert goers at least by a 3-2 ratio, the way that tailgating is apparently a virtue.