Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The mayor would be for this possibly  because it takes away responsibility to cover any hotel tax shortage from the City.

That was my thought.  That Soldier Field repayment is totally backloaded and the city will be on the hook to make huge payments in the near future (by 2033?) if the hotel tax can't cover it.   This gives them somewhat of a break from that awful deal. 

The Sox Machine podcast with Justin Laurence of Crain's has a pretty good discussion on it.  

59 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

From August. JR owes the Crain's guy an apology

“Somebody at Crain’s decided he wanted to write that (the Sox) were looking at the Bears (situation),” Reinsdorf said, “and the White Sox lease has six or seven years left to go and the White Sox have some options, they might move out of the city, they might move out of town, they might go to Nashville. That wasn’t us, that was a (reporter) at Crain’s.

“And ever since the article came out, I’ve been reading that I’ve been threatening to move to Nashville. That article didn’t come from me. But it’s obvious, if we have six years left … we’ve got to decide what’s the future (of where the Sox home is) going to be?

“We’ll get to it, but I never threatened to move out. We haven’t even begun to have discussions with the (Illinois) Sports Authority, which we’ll have to do soon.”

Technically Reinsdorf hasn’t said he’d move the team out, he told Crain’s that the next owner, after Reinsdorf dies, would be moving the team out if there isn’t a new stadium.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2024 at 6:11 AM, WBWSF said:

I agree with you.  The new stadium would be a great thing for the White Sox franchise.

I think you mean Jerry Reinsdorf. As long as he runs the team, nothing changes. Same crappy minor leagues. Same crappy attitude about paying superstars. It would be a great thing with a new owner. I hope the governor doesn't give Jerry a single cent. It's time for the fans and state government to choke this fucker out.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

From August. JR owes the Crain's guy an apology

“Somebody at Crain’s decided he wanted to write that (the Sox) were looking at the Bears (situation),” Reinsdorf said, “and the White Sox lease has six or seven years left to go and the White Sox have some options, they might move out of the city, they might move out of town, they might go to Nashville. That wasn’t us, that was a (reporter) at Crain’s.

“And ever since the article came out, I’ve been reading that I’ve been threatening to move to Nashville. That article didn’t come from me. But it’s obvious, if we have six years left … we’ve got to decide what’s the future (of where the Sox home is) going to be?

“We’ll get to it, but I never threatened to move out. We haven’t even begun to have discussions with the (Illinois) Sports Authority, which we’ll have to do soon.”

LOL

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

In that case why bother building anything ever if those jobs are just gone once they're finished building? 

When you are talking economic impact that justifies a billion  dollarsubsidy, it must be considered. Keep in mind, if the area ever got built up, the sales tax from there wouldn’t go to the state, it would go to pay down the ballpark. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

In that case why bother building anything ever if those jobs are just gone once they're finished building? 

Because everything else built is subject to property tax to the general fund, and if businesses occupy it, all the sales tax revenue also goes to the respective city and state general funds.

a lot of people seem ignorant to how the world really works. At the end of the day, JR and JB are on the same team. Billionaires look out for other billionaires...

you're also forgetting that the newest Sox shareholder (30%) has assets worth over double JRs and didn't just buy in to stay at 35th when a prime location is available. The money is already there but JR is doing his due diligence to squeeze as much juice as he can.

the most interesting scenario to come out of all this seems to be the bears building on the north parking lots. A perfect storm is brewing where everyone wins.

2 minutes ago, scotty22hotty said:

a lot of people seem ignorant to how the world really works. At the end of the day, JR and JB are on the same team. Billionaires look out for other billionaires...

you're also forgetting that the newest Sox shareholder (30%) has assets worth over double JRs and didn't just buy in to stay at 35th when a prime location is available. The money is already there but JR is doing his due diligence to squeeze as much juice as he can.

the most interesting scenario to come out of all this seems to be the bears building on the north parking lots. A perfect storm is brewing where everyone wins.

Wonder why they don’t want Hobson more out in front on this?  She prefers to stay out of the limelight?  

ANYONE else would be far better to sell it than JR and Family.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, scotty22hotty said:

Who is this new shareholder?

• Thanks 1

The Score was already joking about Reinsdorf’s quotes.  It sounds like he partly blamed Sox fans once again for the current ballpark’s attendance woes, rather than his lack of desire to hire a good front office, scouting, and development, and build a winning team.

Even though it is 2024, JR mentioned that the Sox have never had 3 million in attendance, even after the 2005 World Series.  The Sox drew 2,957,414 in 2006.

Someone should have asked JR about all the lack of competitive seasons since 2005.  The more I hear JR open his trap, the more I hope he has to eat 100 percent of the costs of the new ballpark.

Apparently, JR thinks he’s a great public speaker and advocate for himself.  He should hire some better PR people and actually listen to them.  He comes across as a completely tone deaf jagoff.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Score was already joking about Reinsdorf’s quotes.  It sounds like he partly blamed Sox fans once again for the current ballpark’s attendance woes, rather than his lack of desire to hire a good front office, scouting, and development, and build a winning team.

Even though it is 2024, JR mentioned that the Sox have never had 3 million in attendance, even after the 2005 World Series.  The Sox drew 2,957,414 in 2006.

Someone should have asked JR about all the lack of competitive seasons since 2008.  The more I hear JR open his trap, the more I hope he has to eat 100 percent of the costs.

He forgot to mention how in successful seasons chopping off half the upper deck cut off…what…at least 4000-4500 seats from previous capacity?

51 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Wonder why they don’t want Hobson more out in front on this?  She prefers to stay out of the limelight?  

ANYONE else would be far better to sell it than JR and Family.

What makes you think she wants to be involved. I've never seen anything that she was interested in owning a sports team.

Contrary to popular opinion not all billionaires are alike.

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Someone should have asked JR about all the lack of competitive seasons since 2005.  The more I hear JR open his trap, the more I hope he has to eat 100 percent of the costs.

Apparently, JR thinks he’s a great public speaker and advocate for himself.  He should hire some better PR people and actually listen to them.  He comes across as a completely tone deaf jagoff.

He is very transparent which most people say they want but get really mad when people are.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He is very transparent which most people say they want but get really mad when people are.

Transparent is the nice way to phrase it I guess.  If you listen to him, between the Getz promotion announcement and these quotes, “tone deaf” is much more fitting.

Transparent isn’t pivoting from $1 to $2 billion.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Fire 1