Sox select John Schriffen to be TV PbP announcer

fathom

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/white-sox-hire-john-schriffen-as-play-by-play-announcer

He has the toughest job for a broadcaster, to try to make a bad team interesting and to try to keep the fan base engaged.

I don't envy him in the least in that regard. 

You should of applied for the job. Who knows, you might have been hired. I wrote JR  a letter  a few years ago hoping to be interviewed for the GM job. He never responded to me. Matter of fact, he has not  responded to any of my letters since then.

After the dust settled on this, sadly I think I am going to carry water.  I want a PBP guy to be in booth more then Benetti was.  Jason's back story was awesome and he was good at his job but at the same time he seemed to only be there more and more on a part time basis.  I think the Sox wanted more and Jason wanted less.

I like this guy.  Hope he is here a long time.  I thought Benetti would as well but I think he has Joe Buck aspirations and the Sox were done being a part of it.

I still think the Sox are in a bad place as an organization and Brooks Boyer is a fool but I can squint and see their point. the Sox suck so really, why bust Jason's balls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

You should of applied for the job. Who knows, you might have been hired. I wrote JR  a letter  a few years ago hoping to be interviewed for the GM job. He never responded to me. Matter of fact, he has not  responded to any of my letters since then.

You must have missed my reply the last time you brought this up.

Could I do the job? Absolutely. but as I said then I'm 68 and have ties to Southeast Idaho. Our house is paid off and I'm going to be inducted next month, into the Idaho State Sports Hall of Fame via the Lifetime Achievement Award. I'm not going anywhere.

I would have loved to have worked for the Sox but it wasn't in the cards, maybe 20 years ago I would have at least tried for it but not now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Could I do the job? Absolutely. but as I said then I'm 68 and have ties to Southeast Idaho. Our house is paid off and I'm going to be inducted next month, into the Idaho State Sports Hall of Fame via the Lifetime Achievement Award. I'm not going anywhere.

I would have loved to have worked for the Sox but it wasn't in the cards, maybe 20 years ago I would have at least tried for it but not now.

Not to sound like a jerk, but what sports are there in Idaho and how does one make their Hall of Fame,  Congrats on the accomplishment. 

18 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/white-sox-hire-john-schriffen-as-play-by-play-announcer

He has the toughest job for a broadcaster, to try to make a bad team interesting and to try to keep the fan base engaged.

I don't envy him in the least in that regard. 

I suppose one way to think about it is that he can get acclimated in a pretty low stakes environment — the amount of people watching games is probably going to be half (or less) of what it would/will be when the team is good. He can take his lumps out of the spotlight and when folks jump back on the bandwagon he'll be his best self, hopefully.

• Hawk 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Not to sound like a jerk, but what sports are there in Idaho and how does one make their Hall of Fame,  Congrats on the accomplishment. 

Harry: I've been broadcasting Idaho State athletes (Big Sky Conference) on radio and on ESPN+ since 1995. Have done football, men's and women's basketball (have three championship rings from WBB to show for it!), volleyball and softball.

Have done over 460 games alone just for WBB. 

Started in the sports media in 1978, worked 14 years in TV sports in Lexington, Kentucky, Monroe, Louisiana and here in S.E. Idaho. 

Guess you can say I've been around awhile. 

• Like 4
  • Hawk 1

8 minutes ago, Jake said:

I suppose one way to think about it is that he can get acclimated in a pretty low stakes environment — the amount of people watching games is probably going to be half (or less) of what it would/will be when the team is good. He can take his lumps out of the spotlight and when folks jump back on the bandwagon he'll be his best self, hopefully.

That is one way to look at it and that's not a bad way for Schriffen to approach this. 

• Like 1

I have no current opinions on him so stuff I’m hoping to see:

An understanding of modern baseball. Do comment on them being patient. Do not credit them for ground balls the other way if they take you out of an inning. Do question bunting. Don’t tell me it’s all about TWTW. Show some advanced stats and explain them in appropriate context.

Editorial independence: a willingness to say that a player or the organization has made mistakes when they happen.

A general sense of passion, when things are going well or poorly.

Those were, for the most part, things I liked about Benetti.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Lip, I'm 90% certain JR would have ordered your resume publicly burned in a dumpster fire for having applied.

Edit: I'm not saying you couldn't do it or knocking your broadcast abilities, but with just how petty JR is, you can't be flaming him for years and expect him to hire you.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

I actually like that he's energetic and excited about things, but stylizing the words like this makes it seem like they're mocking him.

I don’t think that was the intention, but it certainly seems like someone out of their depth is running that account the last week or so. I’ve never heard of stylizing a tweet like that. Usually your accompanying graphic or video should handle the creative side of things.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

An understanding of modern baseball. Do comment on them being patient. Do not credit them for ground balls the other way if they take you out of an inning. Do question bunting. Don’t tell me it’s all about TWTW. Show some advanced stats and explain them in appropriate context.

Editorial independence: a willingness to say that a player or the organization has made mistakes when they happen.

The bolded part for me. I get that he's an employee and needs to respect his employer (and other employees ie players), but I at least want the appearance of independent thought and willingness to call things what they are.

You can do your job well, respect who writes your paychecks, and still have the ability to say it out loud how the fan sees it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Quin said:

Lip, I'm 90% certain JR would have ordered your resume publicly burned in a dumpster fire for having applied.

Edit: I'm not saying you couldn't do it or knocking your broadcast abilities, but with just how petty JR is, you can't be flaming him for years and expect him to hire you.

Quin: Thanks for the clarification I appreciated that you did that.

I'm not saying I would have gotten the job, but I certainly would have thought about applying for it. Never any harm in trying.

Just as an aside I've met JR twice and we have exchanged correspondence. He can be a friendly, engaging guy when he wants to be but with him the "bottom line" and his world-view (at least with baseball) always takes precedent and overrides some of his better tendencies.

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't follow. Jason and Stone carried water for the org at almost all times. If they did offer any critiques, it was aimed at individual failings, and certainly not the FO. To be fair, this is par for the course with contemporary announcing crews, but you're seeing things in Jason that weren't there.

Jason is a nice story, overcoming adversity to become a top play by play guy nation wide, but as a Sox announcer? That I have to listen to 140+ times a year? He was not anything special and was unable or unwilling to say a bad word about his bosses.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, Green Line said:

If he’s going to go on and on about statistics and computers like Jason, hard pass.  We don’t need that.

Schriffen: "Anyway, Robert's OBP this season is..."

Some people: f*** this guy

• Haha 3

On a Zoom call with reporters, Schriffen said he doesn’t know the exact number of games he’ll broadcast, but he intends to call a vast majority.

“I want to be the voice and face of the Chicago White Sox broadcast,” he said. “That was very clear, and that’s something I talked about with [chairman Jerry Reinsdorf] early on. Whoever he hires, he wanted to make sure that this was going to be their main priority, and I said I am very clear on that. That’s the agreement we had very early on in this process, and that’s the understanding that we have.”

--------------------------------------

Obviously that was a big, big stumbling block with Benetti wasn't it?