Grifol, Sox out to prove doubters wrong in 2024 (Merkin Optimism Series)

caulfield12

23 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

If they don't do a puff piece like this...what will you have to talk about? But it's seemingly looking like Cease may NOT be traded...and if Fedde is decent and Soroka can be healthy...sure they can improve off of last years god awful. I am more optimistic than most on this board, so will be fine until the inevitable 5+ game losing streak. Then it's back to complaining. 

The GameThreads will welcome your enthusiasm and equally embrace your negativity after that 5+ losing streak.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The good news is that by Memorial Day we will probably be able to close the book on the season and not have to concern ourselves with the team. Also maybe Grifol will be fired by then.

Speak for yourself. As it warms up is when I start going to more games. 

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Speak for yourself. As it warms up is when I start going to more games. 

As is certainly your right. I have no desire to fly somewhere, spend a lot of money on what figures to be another season where they lose anywhere from 90-100 games. I've got better things to do with my time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

As is certainly your right. I have no desire to fly somewhere, spend a lot of money on what figures to be another season where they lose anywhere from 90-100 games. I've got better things to do with my time. 

Oh, without a doubt I wouldn't spend money on a flight to go. I would just go to local baseball whether it's MLB, MiLB, college or high school. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Does anyone buy anything that ever comes out of Pedro's mouth?

I don't buy anything that comes out in the media in general from any team source. They only let out what they want you to know. If it comes from a player, it's usually the same or a disgruntled one. 

Maybe working too many years in the industry has made me cynical but there is too much going on behind the scene that the fans and media never hear about that really skews anything reported. 

Edited by ptatc

Sounds like the same BS as last year.  Remember how he was going to mold last year’s team into a winner and then after the season when he was a proven loser, he backtracked and said he didn’t like the team?  Now he’s saying he loves the team again, that Getz put together.  Guy is full of it.

• Like 3

I don't believe anyone in the organization pays heed to Grifol, beyond players forced to listen to him to secure playing time.

Pedro is only here in 2024 because Jerry doesn't want to pay the candidate "he was blown away by" for two years of his three year deal to stay at home.

Hopefully there is some actual thoughtful consideration Sox fans haven't seen since the Gaston vs. Guillen decision before hiring the next White Sox manager.

16 hours ago, wegner said:

Your 2024 Chicago White Sox....hey, it could happen.

I"ve seen this year after year with the Royals except for that 2-3 year window where they were great. The Royals talk a great game in spring training then by mid May are 15 out and done. Or early May. That's the upcoming fate of our Sox. We stink Who is our SS this year, Lopez? LOL.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well….if opening day was tomorrow, he’d probably be out there. Unfortunately. 

Yep and I'd be surprised if the Sox did anything to change that in the next two weeks but we'll see.

15 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don't believe anyone in the organization pays heed to Grifol, beyond players forced to listen to him to secure playing time.

Pedro is only here in 2024 because Jerry doesn't want to pay the candidate "he was blown away by" for two years of his three year deal to stay at home.

Hopefully there is some actual thoughtful consideration Sox fans haven't seen since the Gaston vs. Guillen decision before hiring the next White Sox manager.

Not surprising that JR, Kenny, and Hahn fell for a snake oil salesman since that’s what they were as well.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Not surprising that JR, Kenny, and Hahn fell for a snake oil salesman since that’s what they were as well.

When Bob Nightengale claims consensus, it has historically meant that Jerry made the call, though Hahn appeared excited for Grifol.

Similar language was used after the Tony La Russa hire and other White Sox debacles over the years.

You’ve heard me say over the last several years on major decisions, that it’s about consensus, that it’s a conversation between the chairman, Kenny and myself and ultimately we come to a conclusion together,” Hahn said. 

https://theathletic.com/2170002/2020/10/29/rick-hahn-didnt-get-his-man-in-white-sox-search-but-he-got-tony-la-russa/?amp=1

Edited by South Side Hit Men

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

When Bob Nightengale claims consensus, it has historically meant that Jerry made the call, though Hahn appeared excited for Grifol.

Similar language was used after the Tony La Russa hire and other White Sox debacles over the years.

I always thought that Hinch was Hahn’s guy but Jerry overrode him and hired TLR.  But after that, I did think that Hahn chose Grifol.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I always thought that Hinch was Hahn’s guy but Jerry overrode him and hired TLR.  But after that, I did think that Hahn chose Grifol.

Never should have fired Ricky Renteria. 

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I heard a guy whose boss told him what to think, and he did. 

Hahn was a loyal employee and a yes man for a long long time. He should have been fired before the Sale trade was ever made, but good on him for getting a nice fat paycheck for another 7 years. Good for him, terrible for Sox fans. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1