ST Thread

pcq

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

What an outfit, send Pillar packing Saturday and turn around and sign him today, WTF happened in less than 24 hours.

His minors deal guaranteed him $3 million. I’m assuming this big league deal doesn’t 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

His minors deal guaranteed him $3 million. I’m assuming this big league deal doesn’t 

Yep Sox told him look, you're not worth $3M if you make the opening day roster but you're worth MLB minimum or $1M and he wasn't in any position to say no. That's still real good money for a guy who probably will never see paychecks that big again unless he is a future MLB manager.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Paper Bag 1

47 minutes ago, flavum said:

Touki Toussaint DFA

44 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Taking off the Touki training wheels, I see. The rebuild is ON!!!

A little bummed on this one. Just liked Touki and wanted to give him a chance. But maybe he’ll clear waivers. Sox are eating $1.3M on him too which is surprising but also makes it more likely he’ll clear as not only does the claiming team need to put him in the bigs, theyll absorb the deal. Since Sox avoided arb with him, that is guaranteed. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

A little bummed in this one. Just liked Touki and wanted to give him a chance. But maybe he’ll clear waivers. Sox are eating $1.2M on him too which is surprising but also makes it more likely he’ll clear as not only does the claiming team need to put him in the bigs, theyll absorb the deal. 

His stuff isn’t bad but he just can’t throw enough strikes.

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

A little bummed on this one. Just liked Touki and wanted to give him a chance. But maybe he’ll clear waivers. Sox are eating $1.3M on him too which is surprising but also makes it more likely he’ll clear as not only does the claiming team need to put him in the bigs, theyll absorb the deal. Since Sox avoided arb with him, that is guaranteed. 

I agree. I was hoping Touki could thrive as a swingman. I even figured he could take a couple turns in the rotation in case they wanted to tune up Nastrini in AAA for a couple of starts. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Why in gods name was he ever offered 3 million guaranteed anyways he obviously has no market based on the events of this weekend. 

just a dumb signing and one they continue on with it seems.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 1

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why in gods name was he ever offered 3 million guaranteed anyways he obviously has no market based on the events of this weekend. 

Because it wasn't promised and they could cut him. 

And they did.

And the signed him for less.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I might be reading your post wrong but Pillar was only guaranteed $3 million if he made the opening day roster.  So the Sox just cut him and signed him back for less.  He never received any of the $3 million.  Now why the Sox thought Pillar could be worth $3 million dollars just less than two months ago if he made the opening day is another question.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He wasn't offered $3 million guaranteed. He was signed on a minor league deal. We'll see what this current deal looks like, but I would guess it's at a discount on that $3 million. 

46 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yep Sox told him look, you're not worth $3M if you make the opening day roster but you're worth MLB minimum or $1M and he wasn't in any position to say no. That's still real good money for a guy who probably will never see paychecks that big again unless he is a future MLB manager.

Pillar (9.072 MLB Service time) will lock in even more money if he can make it through the season on an active roster including any IL stints to hit his 10 year service time mark and vest a full pension.

Grossman is racing the clock to do the same within 2024 (9.060 service time).

Martin Maldonado is the only White Sox who has already locked in over 10 years of service time.

https://www.justballgloves.com/blog/post/mlb-ten-year-explained/#:~:text=Any player%2C coach%2C manager%2C,payout bumps up to %24220%2C000.

67-F2-DDE9-9941-40-C6-9708-9-D6-F1665-AC

• Thanks 1

As shitty as we all know this team is probably going to be this year, how can you not be pumped for opening day. I still took Thursday and Friday off work. It's the one day every team starts at the same playing field...0 wins and 0 losses. Obviously over time the talent will show itself, but opening day will probably be the only day we Sox fans have even any false hope to hang on to, and April may be the only stretch of Sox baseball worth watching, until guys like Montgomery start coming up to the bigs. Relish it while you can, boys and girls.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Because it wasn't promised and they could cut him. 

And they did.

And the signed him for less.

It's terrible process. You wasted the opportunity cost when clearly 29 other teams wanted nothing to do with him at any price, at any roster spot. 

How can anybody defend this move? Sure, it "cost nothing" only if you ignore the opportunity cost of bringing someone that actually might have value and/or contribute to the next good Sox team.

You're telling me you'd rather have this guy clogging up the back of the roster than someone like Canaan Smith-Njigba?

steve-buscemi-reservoir-dogs.gif

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's terrible process. You wasted the opportunity cost when clearly 29 other teams wanted nothing to do with him at any price, at any roster spot. 

How can anybody defend this move? Sure, it "cost nothing" only if you ignore the opportunity cost of bringing someone that actually might have value and/or contribute to the next good Sox team.

You're telling me you'd rather have this guy clogging up the back of the roster than someone like Canaan Smith-Njigba?

Christ dude, it was a non guaranteed minor league signing for a guy who was a role player on a good Braves team last season. They cut Pillar yesterday because they didn’t deem him worth the $3M and then resigned 24 hours later for (presumably) the major league minimum. He’s a perfectly fine 4th/5th OF. 

there is absolutely no logical reason to be upset by any of this. 

Edited by ChiSox59
Fixed typo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

MiLB free agents on non guaranteed contracts cost nothing until exercised and occupy no roster spot. A team could make 50 deals like this over the winter and it wouldn't matter to the 40 or the payroll. I know you want to be mad, but at least be accurate. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

MiLB free agents on non guaranteed contracts cost nothing until exercised and occupy no roster spot. A team could make 50 deals like this over the winter and it wouldn't matter to the 40 or the payroll. I know you want to be mad, but at least be accurate. 

Well he's on the 40 man now buddy! Sorta invalidates all that! It's obvious they made bringing him in a priority.

Hey, ZIPS thinks if he plays 100 games  he'll give us .5 fWAR!

LFG! Pull it down! Getz did that! signed a 35 year old corner OF to a league min deal rather than just see what they have in the guy they traded a young pitching prospect for or Oscar Colas! 

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Christ dude, it was a non guaranteed minor league signing for a guy who was a role player on a good Braves team last season. They cut Pillar yesterday because they didn’t deem him worth the $3M and then resigned 24 hours later for (presumably) the major league minimum. He’s a perfectly fine 4th/5th OF. 

there is absolutely no logical reason to be upset by any of this. 

he had a 71 wRC+ last year. He had a .248 OBP. He'll fit in great here, you're right. Solid vet. Great role player. 

wut. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Well he's on the 40 man now buddy! Sorta invalidates all that! It's obvious they made bringing him in a priority.

Hey, ZIPS thinks if he plays 100 games  he'll give us 1 fWAR!

LFG! Pull it down! Getz did that! signed a 35 year old corner OF to a league min deal rather than just see what they have in the guy they traded a young pitching prospect for or Oscar Colas! 

Kenny gets his guy?

• Fire 1

36 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Pillar hits rh. Njigba doesn't. Njigba passed through waivers twice, and 8 of the worst record teams passed. Fangraphs doesn't seem to like him. I'm guessing he's a AAAA profile. 

Personally, I'm wondering how anybody could feign anger over this move. If they wanted Pillar all along, I don't see how opportunity cost enters into it. 

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Pillar hits rh. Njigba doesn't. Njigba passed through waivers twice, and 8 of the worst record teams passed. Fangraphs doesn't seem to like him. I'm guessing he's a AAAA profile. 

Personally, I'm wondering how anybody could feign anger over this move. If they wanted Pillar all along, I don't see how opportunity cost enters into it. 

PwJn-Bub4dvrGhQfBdbeqIZ2bhH7zGjw3rJypJes

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

That's a nice picture. I'm guessing it means something.......?

It's the look of someone that is listening to a person say 2+2 is 5. Anyways, it's sunday afternoon and I've fallen into the trap of arguing on the internet about a s%*# franchise. Not an airport but imma head out for now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1