Tim Anderson signs with MIA, 1Y/5M

Sleepy Harold

4 hours ago, WBWSF said:

The Marlins have Burger and Anderson on the left side of the infield. As of now the White Sox have Moncada and Dejong on the left side of the infield.  I would rather have the Marlins left side of the infield over what the White Sox have. I'm hoping Montgomery has a good spring training and is the Opening Day shortstop.

Very sad the Marlins have Burger and TA as their left side. Moncada doesn't thrill me mostly cause he gets hurt too much and DeJong makes me so upset. Why him? Geez.

• Paper Bag 1

On 2/24/2024 at 12:06 PM, wrathofhahn said:

Whatever Tim Anderson ends up being at least there is potential that he can rebound and have a good year. Dejong is just awful.

Which has been the theme all offseason we replace guys who had down/terrible years with awful baseball players. So where is the improvement going to come from? Tim Anderson, Grandal, etc were at least bounceback candidates I am not saying I wanted them back but at least last year as a fan I could tell myself Grandal and Anderson are going to hit because they have their entire careers basically.

Dejong and Maldonado are never going to hit or be anything except marginal players. In fact if either of those guys even ended up being a marginal contributor that would be a huge positive as far as I'm concerned I don't think either are going to have positive wars or be in the lineup when the season ends.

DeJong and Maldonado and Lopez are the polar opposite of all stars. Look I'd think analytics would tell us any lineup with 3/9s consisting of those three would be guaranteed to be anemic. Then u look at the carnage following our injuries, the replacements when Robert, Moncada and Eloy get hurt, wow. 

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

bobby knopp couldn't hit a lick. he was like ron hansen in that regard.

I think your memory is failing you.

Between 1963 and 1965 Hansen hit 44 home runs, drove in 201 RBI's, and walked 211 times.

14 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think your memory is failing you.

Between 1963 and 1965 Hansen hit 44 home runs, drove in 201 RBI's, and walked 211 times.

In a 15-season career, Hansen was a .234 hitter with 106 home runs and 501 RBI in 1384 games. He did have an unassisted triple play.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

In a 15-season career, Hansen was a .234 hitter with 106 home runs and 501 RBI in 1384 games. He did have an unassisted triple play.

What matters is what he did for the White Sox. Bobby Knoop never came close to doing this.

From my interview with him:

"Hansen was Cal Ripken before Cal Ripken, combining physical size, defensive ability and long ball power, traits which weren’t usually seen in Major League baseball in those days at the shortstop spot.  

He was 6-3, tall in those days for a shortstop (like Ripken), but that didn’t seem to slow him down defensively. In fact Hansen is the third best fielding shortstop in White Sox history. Ozzie Guillen is the all-time leader at .974; Aparicio is second at .97137 and Hansen checks in third at .97126. (Author’s Note: Thanks to Scott Reifert of the White Sox for providing this information.) 

At the plate, his ability to hit a home run or deliver an extra base hit was practically unheard of for a shortstop to do (like Ripken) back then. In the years from 1963 through 1965, playing half his games at spacious Comiskey Park, Hansen averaged almost 15 home runs a season. The 20 he blasted in 1964 stood as the Sox record for shortstops until it was broken by Jose Valentin in 2000. He averaged 68 RBI’s in that same time period to go along with 76 walks per year. In four of the seven years spent in Chicago Hansen had more walks then strikeouts. He never had Ripken’s ability to hit for a high average but adjusting for the time period, his offensive numbers stack up quite well with him. 

He missed most of the 1966 season due to injury but came back in 1967 to provide stability and leadership to a team that nearly…..very, very nearly copped the pennant in the greatest race Major League baseball has ever seen."  

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

What matters is what he did for the White Sox. Bobby Knoop never came close to doing this.

From my interview with him:

"Hansen was Cal Ripken before Cal Ripken, combining physical size, defensive ability and long ball power, traits which weren’t usually seen in Major League baseball in those days at the shortstop spot.  

He was 6-3, tall in those days for a shortstop (like Ripken), but that didn’t seem to slow him down defensively. In fact Hansen is the third best fielding shortstop in White Sox history. Ozzie Guillen is the all-time leader at .974; Aparicio is second at .97137 and Hansen checks in third at .97126. (Author’s Note: Thanks to Scott Reifert of the White Sox for providing this information.) 

At the plate, his ability to hit a home run or deliver an extra base hit was practically unheard of for a shortstop to do (like Ripken) back then. In the years from 1963 through 1965, playing half his games at spacious Comiskey Park, Hansen averaged almost 15 home runs a season. The 20 he blasted in 1964 stood as the Sox record for shortstops until it was broken by Jose Valentin in 2000. He averaged 68 RBI’s in that same time period to go along with 76 walks per year. In four of the seven years spent in Chicago Hansen had more walks then strikeouts. He never had Ripken’s ability to hit for a high average but adjusting for the time period, his offensive numbers stack up quite well with him. 

He missed most of the 1966 season due to injury but came back in 1967 to provide stability and leadership to a team that nearly…..very, very nearly copped the pennant in the greatest race Major League baseball has ever seen."  

Good stuff. I definitely appreciate the likes of Hansen, Pete Ward, Walt Williams, Dave Nicholson, Peters, Horlen, all those guys. 

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Good stuff. I definitely appreciate the likes of Hansen, Pete Ward, Walt Williams, Dave Nicholson, Peters, Horlen, all those guys. 

Of course, three of those guys were received in the Aparicio trade, which never made any sense whatsoever.

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

Of course, three of those guys were received in the Aparicio trade, which never made any sense whatsoever.

That deal revitalized the franchise and directly led to back-to-back-to-back years with 90+ wins. Ward, Hansen, Nicholson and Wilhelm for Aparicio (who had worn out his welcome at the time) and Al Smith.  

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

I remember when traded Aparicio said something like It'll be another 40 years til they win again. He was about right.

He did indeed say that. Some called it the "Aparicio curse." He was upset that after the 1962 season Ed Short wanted to cut his salary.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 3:38 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

He did indeed say that. Some called it the "Aparicio curse." He was upset that after the 1962 season Ed Short wanted to cut his salary.

When they reacquired him in '65(?) he said that he didn't mean it. Fun stuff either way.

53 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

When they reacquired him in '65(?) he said that he didn't mean it. Fun stuff either way.

The Sox reacquired him before the start of the 1968 season. 

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am expecting all of these guys to start seeing some rebound years once they leave this toxic situation.

Tim Anderson WAS the toxic situation. His being gone (along with Fat Lynn and Grandal) is my main reason for hope this year and going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Tim Anderson WAS the toxic situation. His being gone (along with Fat Lynn and Grandal) is my main reason for hope this year and going forward. 

TA definitely had a part in creating the toxic atmosphere.  I'm glad he found a home, and I hope he has a nice season.  But I am glad he's not playing for the Sox.  I too have hope for the future.  This year may be rough, but I think we'll see a more cohesive team with much less drama, laziness, and (bad) attitude.  

So many Sox fans love to spend their days looking in the review mirror, huffing and puffing, and shaking their heads in a "I told you so" manner every time a former Sox player hits a home run or strikes out a batter.  I don't care about former Sox players when they're playing for the Marlins or the Braves or whoever.  Out of sight, out of mind.  I'm concerned about the current team...and bitching about their performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Right.  Which is why the entire team, including himself, all regressed randomly at the exact time, despite having been just fine for years.  Makes total sense.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Right.  Which is why the entire team, including himself, all regressed randomly at the exact time, despite having been just fine for years.  Makes total sense.

Mark an X on the day TLR was announced and connect all of the dots until we reach last year’s catastrophe.

Placing the blame or the majority of it at TA is certainly curious. Not saying he’s blameless, but the toxicity is bigger than one player’s terrible year personally and professionally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1