Bellinger to Cubs 3yr 80 MIL

tray

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Good deal for Cubs, but Bellinger will almost certainly opt-out after the coming season.

I always wonder why teams sign these deals. It's really a no win. I guess they are willing to pay 27 million per year for a bad player. This is what they pay if he is bad. If he's good he's gone.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

I always wonder why teams sign these deals. It's really a no win. I guess they are willing to pay 27 million per year for a bad player. This is what they pay if he is bad. If he's good he's gone.

I’ll take this contract for Bellinger over Benintendi’s $75 million dollar contract all day long.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

19 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’ll take this contract for Bellinger over Benintendi’s $75 million dollar contract all day long.

Well of course it is only a one year contact and the people who deal hindsight evaluation will agree.

Lao Tzu said (paraphrased as I am not that eloquent)

Those who live in the past suffer depression.

Those who live in the future suffer anxiety. 

Only those who live in the present will be at peace. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Well of course it is only a one year contact and the people who deal hindsight evaluation will agree.

Lao Tzu said (paraphrased as I am not that eloquent)

Those who live in the past suffer depression.

Those who live in the future suffer anxiety. 

Only those who live in the present will be at peace. 

And because Bellinger has always been a better player than Benintendi.  That isn’t hindsight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And because Bellinger has always been a better player than Benintendi.  That isn’t hindsight.

I would disagree Benintendi had much better years in 2021 and 2022.

His AAV and the total contract is also less than Bellinger. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Benintendi was worth 2 WAR than Bellinger from 20-22. I’d rather have Bellinger but he’s an extremely flawed player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Benintendi was worth 2 WAR than Bellinger from 20-22. I’d rather have Bellinger but he’s an extremely flawed player. 

I would as well. However that doesn't mean these opt out contracts are good for the team unless they only want him for one year. He leaves if he's good , they are stuck for 50 million if he's bad.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s an amazing deal for the Cubs, especially if the rumor is true they want to go after Alonso next offseason.  

Yes, it's great if they are only looking for one year and he's good.

If he sucks they are stuck for 2 more years with him and if they sign Alonso I'm not sure where bellinger will play. The  OF is set and with Alonso at first there aren't many options. 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I would as well. However that doesn't mean these opt out contracts are good for the team unless they only want him for one year. He leaves if he's good , they are stuck for 50 million if he's bad.

He’s 28, won an MVP and put up a 4.4 bWAR last year. He’s also had two historically bad years at the plate. He comes with risk, as does any player. But as a fan, I’d much rather have my team sign a contract like this than an 7-8 year deal at an 25 million AAV with no opt outs. If he flames out, you have to pay him for two more years. If he’s great, the Cubs have every opportunity to bring him back, possibly during the season. 

The Cubs wanted Bellinger back. They did that, and removed a lot of risk from a long term deal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Of course it is. Bellinger looked totally cooked for 2 whole seasons. Even the kings of all baseball evaluation, The Dodgers, non-tendered him. The Cubs signed him for a cheap, one-year, show me contract, and here he is. Bellinger's having a hard time cashing in on his resurgence. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Yes, it's great if they are only looking for one year and he's good.

If he sucks they are stuck for 2 more years with him and if they sign Alonso I'm not sure where bellinger will play. The  OF is set and with Alonso at first there aren't many options. 

If he goes back to not being able to hit, he still has value as a utility player and it’s only two years to eat the contract. If he doesn’t suck, it’s a good one year deal to buy time for their young outfielders to come into themselves and compete for the NL Central in the mean time. 
There’s some risk with this contract of course but I don’t think it’s that much. Far less risky than giving an injured Benintendi 5 years at any AAV. 

Edited by nrockway
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, nrockway said:

If he goes back to not being able to hit, he still has value as a utility player and it’s only two years to eat the contract. If he doesn’t suck, it’s a good one year deal to buy time for their young outfielders to come into themselves and compete for the NL Central in the mean time. 
There’s some risk with this contract of course but I don’t think it’s that much. Far less risky than giving an injured Benintendi 5 years at any AAV. 

Pretty sure $27 million a year for a utility player isn't a value proposition. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Pretty sure $27 million a year for a utility player isn't a value proposition. 

But they're not paying him $27 million to be a utility player, they're paying him $27 because maybe he can hit 30 home runs at .900 OPS, while running the risk of turning into a utility player. If he sucks, they don't really need him, but they can still roster him. And the money/year sink isn't so extreme. That is a pretty good value proposition IMO. 

48 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Meanwhile, we paid a left fielder $75 million and his bat turned into utility player quality in the first year, but with the added benefit of playing a poor left field as well.

The wrist, the wrist...looking forward to hearing any excuses this year.

• Fire 2