Sox trade Matthew Thompson to Cubs for old friend Bailey Horn

Sleepy Harold

Very weird trade in all honesty.  I’m sure Bannister doesn’t have much faith in Thompson, but trading for a 26 year old reliever that must be placed on the 40 man roster is just an odd thing to seek in return given where the team currently stands.  At least Horn is lefty and has pretty good stuff.  Hopefully it works out like Bannister is envisioning and we have a quality trade chip come July.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to tell the average age of all the projected 26 man rosters?  Feel like we must be up there.

Does it really matter though?  The vast majority of the older guys will be goners in 2025, if not sooner.

14 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Oh, Lord. Now Matt Thompson will become the greatest prospect evah!

I love how you think it’s an outrageous thought that the Sox could ever make a bad trade.  Their free agent signings are bad enough before you even begin discussing their poor trades.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Does it really matter though?  The vast majority of the older guys will be goners in 2025, if not sooner.

Sure, but it highlights just how far we have to go.  There may not be a single player on the roster right now who is part of our next playoff team.  And the vast majority of veterans Getz has added this offseason are unlikely to bear much fruit at the trade deadline.  To me, it’s fairly unusual roster for a team kicking off a rebuild.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I love how you think it’s an outrageous thought that the Sox could ever make a bad trade.  Their free agent signings are bad enough before you even begin discussing their poor trades.

I haven't liked the free agent signings one bit but Getz trades have been very good so far. This one is fine.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Rick Hahn made a lot of bad trades, and some good trades. I don't think that Fletcher/Mena was a great trade, I think it was an even trade. Not like what we did to the Mariners. I would have rather not given up on Mena, but oh well. We now have an average production RF for the next 4-6 seasons. Where we had no OF prospect depth, we now do.

The only free agent signing I did not like was Maldonado. I think Stassi/ Lee, Perez or Hack would have been fine. Moustakas is a bit of a head-scratcher, but he might push Sheets off the team, which is a net good. Getz has put together good, veteran bullpen depth without the dumb 4-year contracts. We also have a good 6-7 reasonable rotation options at AAA, where in years past, we really had, like, a half of one. Grabbing guys off the waiver wire and starting them the next day. 

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

Rick Hahn made a lot of bad trades, and some good trades. I don't think that Fletcher/Mena was a great trade, I think it was an even trade. Not like what we did to the Mariners. I would have rather not given up on Mena, but oh well. We now have an average production RF for the next 4-6 seasons. Where we had no OF prospect depth, we now do.

The only free agent signing I did not like was Maldonado. I think Stassi/ Lee, Perez or Hack would have been fine. Moustakas is a bit of a head-scratcher, but he might push Sheets off the team, which is a net good. Getz has put together good, veteran bullpen depth without the dumb 4-year contracts. We also have a good 6-7 reasonable rotation options at AAA, where in years past, we really had, like, a half of one. Grabbing guys off the waiver wire and starting them the next day. 

We have an average production RF for the next 4 to 6 years?  That’s quite the bold take for a kid with like 100 major league plate appearances.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yes. 20% Less than Thompson. and a far better K rate. and pitching from the left side.

And the whole front office just watched him up close on Friday, right? It wouldn't surprise me if they saw something fixable.