White Sox bring Mike Clevinger back, pending physical

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What was the deal with Jose? Was he injured or were there off the field personal issues occurring? He was optioned to AAA a month ago and had yet to appear in a AAA game this season. Seems like there’s more to this story.

Supposedly away attending to a family matter.

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What was the deal with Jose? Was he injured or were there off the field personal issues occurring? He was optioned to AAA a month ago and had yet to appear in a AAA game this season. Seems like there’s more to this story.

Dealing with a family issue. 

13 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm confused. I thought Getz was only responsible for the prospects who did poorly. 

Development was a problem before he came to the White Sox, and didn't change for the better while he was working that area. 

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Development was a problem before he came to the White Sox, and didn't change for the better while he was working that area. 

It actually did. Guys who weren't rushed to be utility players or bullpen arms have been developed into actual prospects. Colson Montgomery wasn't drafted as a top of his class shortstop. His quick ascension on national lists is a development win. So is Schultz, Ramos, Cannon, and Mena. 

Also, the appearance of home grown bullpen arms and utility infielders is also an important job of development. Everybody rolls their eyes at the Seby Zavalas, Zach Remillards, Jimmy Lamberts, Tanner Banks, But those are all cheap players to fill supporting roles on the club. 

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

It actually did. Guys who weren't rushed to be utility players or bullpen arms have been developed into actual prospects. Colson Montgomery wasn't drafted as a top of his class shortstop. His quick ascension on national lists is a development win. So is Schultz, Ramos, Cannon, and Mena. 

Also, the appearance of home grown bullpen arms and utility infielders is also an important job of development. Everybody rolls their eyes at the Seby Zavalas, Zach Remillards, Jimmy Lamberts, Tanner Banks, But those are all cheap players to fill supporting roles on the club. 

Montgomery is good but he was a pretty high pick. We will see on the others, and he got rid of Mena. If you really want to put a feather in his cap for the last 4 guys, you either are Chris Getz or close to him. THEY ALL SUCK.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

maxresdefault.jpg

“STRETCH!!!” 

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Montgomery is good but he was a pretty high pick. We will see on the others, and he got rid of Mena. If you really want to put a feather in his cap for the last 4 guys, you either are Chris Getz or close to him. THEY ALL SUCK.

Which proves my point. Getz is responsible for the failures, but not the successes. 

A guy like Seby Zavala went from a college bat who incidentally caught, to a defense-first back-up pro catcher. His defense was developed in our system. Tanner Banks sucks? Dude, I get that there's a bunch of people here who hate Reinsdorf, and therefore, everything about this organization is bad, wrong, catastrophic. 

And trading Mena doesn't erase his development. I have nothing to do with Chris Getz. It is possible for people outside of the echo chamber to look at this team objectively, and see some positives. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why the f*** would you cut any prospect with a pulse rather than just DFA Shields or one of the billion relievers? Doesn't make any sense bro. 

Great question.  It also ironically shows that Getz didn’t have faith in one of his own guys, his 17th ranked prospect.

Leone, Shaw?  These are guys that are lucky to have jobs and they would still be out there to re-sign at a later date.

2 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

On Soxtalk, Mena is somehow simultaneously a future stud who will haunt us and also an example of the organization's failures to develop talent.  

It’s not about just one guy.  The problem is that there isn’t enough good prospects to point to.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Which proves my point. Getz is responsible for the failures, but not the successes. 

A guy like Seby Zavala went from a college bat who incidentally caught, to a defense-first back-up pro catcher. His defense was developed in our system. Tanner Banks sucks? Dude, I get that there's a bunch of people here who hate Reinsdorf, and therefore, everything about this organization is bad, wrong, catastrophic. 

And trading Mena doesn't erase his development. I have nothing to do with Chris Getz. It is possible for people outside of the echo chamber to look at this team objectively, and see some positives. 

I would like to see some guy not drafted in the first round, become a player who, if you team was actually good, you would expect to help win games. Where are these guys? You give the guy credit for Mena, yet he traded him before he ever played an MLB game. Nothing is ever on him. He got hired because he will bow down to JR. He owes him. He wouldn't be a GM for any other MLB team.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

On Soxtalk, Mena is somehow simultaneously a future stud who will haunt us and also an example of the organization's failures to develop talent.  

No, Mena is one of the few that makes us all go "what the f***, it was working? And you trade him for a 26-year-old platoon bat?"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why the f*** would you cut any prospect with a pulse rather than just DFA Shields or one of the billion relievers? Doesn't make any sense bro. 

Do you mean Sheets? There are 3 AAA relievers on the 40-man. The only other fat I could see getting trimmed, at this point, is Jared Schuster. 

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Exactly why I think there’s more to the story here. Wonder if it will come out eventually.

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I made a long list of success and failures and you clammed up faster than Hawk when things went south in his final years as a broadcaster.

Yeah, he gets the good and bad. It's just the fact that there's a lot more bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1