Colas

3 hours ago, Nardiwashere said:

I feel like the Getz thing is somewhere in the middle... and also kind of unknowable. 

If you made a list of any organization's prospects, there are going to be a ton of "failures."  That's just how it works across the league.  Did the Sox produce less major league talent than the rest of the MLB during that time?  I don't know but I'm guessing they probably did.  

Ok... how much of that is Getz's fault?  I'm not sure.  He was the farm director but who knows what type of decision-making power he had.  When he tried to implement something, was he overruled?  Everyone seems to understand that JR, KW, and TLR got their way when it came to Hahn's authority.  Am I to believe that JR, KW, TLR, and Hahn all gave Getz complete control and approved every suggestion?  Seems unlikely.  

Furthermore, even if Getz had more power and influence than we think he did, he still wasn't the one picking the players.  I'm not going to pretend I know enough about amateur baseball to know which failures are attributable to him and which failures are on the player, GM, scouting dept, etc.  I bet most people here share my ignorance. 

The people who are the loudest in attacking Getz's resume are all fans on the outside and AJ Pierzynski... and one episode of his podcast, AJ seemed confused and implying Getz was in charge of drafts... which was obviously not the case.  Other than that, it seems like a lot of the analysts and people connected to mlb have more respect for him than your typical SoxTalk poster or commenter under SoxMachine tweet.  

Where I think WestEddy is right is that there are a number of people who are just salty and ignoring actual successes on his resume.  You can say he didn't deserve the job and still acknowledge they produced some major league talent when he was around.  I think its unfair and kind of tiring to say he deserves all the blame for the failures but no recognition for Robert or depth pieces while trashing him for something relatively insignificant like sending Colas back down. 

Again... a lot of hyperventilating happening and I think its just residual anger from 2022-23.

Finally an honest fan who doesn't act like he knows everything and didn't put words in anyone's mouth. West Eddy is just saying it's pretty subjective and it's hard to argue either way when we basically know nothing and it's not like Getz was in charge very long . How many years was it and how many succeedes can you expect in that time frame and how does that compare to other teams ?Plus there's the whole definition of what should be counted as a success. There's just so many people involved in the scouting ,drafting and development of hundreds of players and then you have the biggest obstacle of all (JR) looming over everything that has always hurt the Sox development of any youths.

I always bring up the Dominican Republic, the best Latin America country to get prospects in the last 50 years .

Why is baseball filled with DR stars and the Sox have never had one ? It's all on JR because he refused to play the game in the DR that all the other clubs in MLB were playing. We'll never know if he was sincere about that the process being too shady or íf it was just another way to say I'm not spending money there. It still continues to this day. And there always reports about lack of personnel and equipment to keep up with the latest tech in all phases of the organization . For JR the all encompassing player development dept. is an easy area  to cut funds that escapes the attention of the media and thus the fans.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

It's all opinion. I'm even conceding players who were probably failed by our development system. To people who won't even admit that White Sox minor leaguers who came through our minor league system and had success in the majors were even "developed" by the White Sox. That's the part that makes it exhausting. 

It's exhausting because both sides are naming names and then the other side is saying "No, I don't feel the way you feel about that player." It's also exhausting because "developed" is a nebulous and relative term so no one is going to be in agreement on what it means or looks like. It really is all opinion. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Do you have a copy of his resume? Looking on LinkedIn, he worked in front offices since 2014, and was asst. GM/head of player development before his promotion. That's probably enough for a first time GM. 

As I said to Nardi, I really wish they picked outside the organization. Getz being linked to the KW/Hahn regime is a distraction until the team actually turns the corner again. That said, he's GM, and all the screeching won't change that. 

I pray that one day I get to work for a company you run, because apparently past title and not actual performance is all that’s needed to move up a level. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I pray that one day I get to work for a company you run, because apparently past title and not actual performance is all that’s needed to move up a level. 

Me too. I'm an awesome boss. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Finally an honest fan who doesn't act like he knows everything and didn't put words in anyone's mouth. West Eddy is just saying it's pretty subjective and it's hard to argue either way when we basically know nothing and it's not like Getz was in charge very long . How many years was it and how many succeedes can you expect in that time frame and how does that compare to other teams ?Plus there's the whole definition of what should be counted as a success. There's just so many people involved in the scouting ,drafting and development of hundreds of players and then you have the biggest obstacle of all (JR) looming over everything that has always hurt the Sox development of any youths.

I always bring up the Dominican Republic, the best Latin America country to get prospects in the last 50 years .

Why is baseball filled with DR stars and the Sox have never had one ? It's all on JR because he refused to play the game in the DR that all the other clubs in MLB were playing. We'll never know if he was sincere about that the process being too shady or íf it was just another way to say I'm not spending money there. It still continues to this day. And there always reports about lack of personnel and equipment to keep up with the latest tech in all phases of the organization . For JR the all encompassing player development dept. is an easy area  to cut funds that escapes the attention of the media and thus the fans.

Well, except for Tatis Jr., whose father basically brought him to KW/Paddy and pretty much begged for the Sox to sign him.

That could have opened up the DR flood gates.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, except for Tatis Jr., whose father basically brought him to KW/Paddy and pretty much begged for the Sox to sign him.

That could have opened up the DR flood gates.

Except that he never came close to actually being on the Chicago White Sox. I do remember reading he was distraught when he heard that he was traded.