Moncada out 3-6 months, Colás recalled

These are the sorts of medical problems leaving Moncada at a loss for a reason.

“It’s difficult to explain and to be honest with you, I don’t think there’s a reason,” Moncada said. I don’t think you can find a reason why this happened. I did everything that I was supposed to do during the off season and during Spring Training and then something like this happened and the same with the other guys.

“We did everything we were supposed to do in order to play the whole season healthy. I don’t think you can find the reason why this happened.”

But aside from this task ahead of him, with the target of returning after the All-Star break, Moncada isn’t thinking much about his baseball future.

“My focus right now is to get back and stay healthy. Whatever happens after that is going to happen. I don’t have control over that,” said Moncada through interpreter Billy Russo Wednesday morning. “I feel in peace that I’m going to be able to come back this season, but I’m not happy or comfortable with what is going on.

“I prepared to play the full season and then unfortunately that won’t happen. But knowing that I’m coming back, it gives me peace.”

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/yoan-moncada-on-injury-2024-white-sox

22 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Anything is about all you are going to get for this stiff. But that's better than nothing given the circumstances and his production.

But there is only one naive organization I can think of to make that trade.  Unfortunately that trade can't happen since he is with the organization.

20 hours ago, pcq said:

After getting paid $25M to be injured all year he isn't going to take $2M from KC or TB next year. He is done and he does not care. 

We assume that but some players in sports are injury prone. 

His career is probably done.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2024 at 5:12 PM, kitekrazy said:

We assume that but some players in sports are injury prone. 

His career is probably done.

I like the 1st paragraph because reaching a conclusion without knowledge is BS. What's that called in court ? Conjecture ? Object to conjecture and it's usually disallowed.

Doubtful his career is done since it's likely he comes back this year. His highest paychecks are behind him but he'd be a great bench depth piece for someone wanting a strong glove and switch hitting bat for minimal money. It actually right up Getz's alley which is usually where you find garbage.😋

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I like the 1st paragraph because reaching a conclusion without knowledge is BS. What's that called in court ? Conjecture ? Object to conjecture and it's usually disallowed.

Doubtful his career is done since it's likely he comes back this year. His highest paychecks are behind him but he'd be a great bench depth piece for someone wanting a strong glove and switch hitting bat for minimal money. It actually right up Getz's alley which is usually where you find garbage.😋

Hopefully, Moncada is “earning” that much smaller paycheck on some other team’s IL next year.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

On 5/13/2024 at 7:43 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's my take of his career being over.  No big pay days. 

Some other small market team might pay him only in hopes of being a trade piece.  Which that defines the White Sox

11 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

That's my take of his career being over.  No big pay days. 

Some other small market team might pay him only in hopes of being a trade piece.  Which that defines the White Sox

He’s going to Oakland, Miami, Seattle, or Tampa Bay in my estimation. Small one year deal with a team option. The Tim Anderson treatment.

Since we’re also talking about the White Sox here, I fully expect Eloy and Moncada to become regular All-Stars after they leave. Robert will become a MVP after he’s out of town.

Timmy though… f*** TA. He’s always going to suck now.

47 minutes ago, hi8is said:

He’s going to Oakland, Miami, Seattle, or Tampa Bay in my estimation. Small one year deal with a team option. The Tim Anderson treatment.

Since we’re also talking about the White Sox here, I fully expect Eloy and Moncada to become regular All-Stars after they leave. Robert will become a MVP after he’s out of town.

If you are always hurt you won't play and won't produce at an All-Star caliber. And those guys are ALWAYS hurt. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, hi8is said:

The Rays are a very smart organization and I would be flabbergasted if they wanted anything to do with Moncada.

On 5/19/2024 at 6:02 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

If you are always hurt you won't play and won't produce at an All-Star caliber. And those guys are ALWAYS hurt. 

They’re going to become iron warriors after they are out of town… because, White Sox.

7 hours ago, hi8is said:

They’re going to become iron warriors after they are out of town… because, White Sox.

Moncada finally hits his ceiling and not only becomes an All-Star, but becomes a fucking MVP, leading to a passive aggressive tweet from Stone, Grifol saying some weird, and Getz going "our org is strong" as he keeps Nicky Lopez as a starter

• Paper Bag 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Not to harp on the past.... But Devers with 6th straight game with a HR. Boston definitely knew what they were doing by holding onto him. 

Yup.  Devers has out-OPS’ed Moncada by .100 points in their respective careers.  Sad.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Not to harp on the past.... But Devers with 6th straight game with a HR. Boston definitely knew what they were doing by holding onto him. 

Terrible defender though...his fWAR numbers have been disappointing.

Raffaela and Bello would rank up there with some of the best Hahn early extensions such as Moncada and Jimenez.

Luckily the Red Sox didn't get stuck with Bogaerts...but Betts' loss was a franchise killer.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Terrible defender though...his fWAR numbers have been disappointing.

Raffaela and Bello would rank up there with some of the best Hahn early extensions such as Moncada and Jimenez.

Yeah, I’ll take the guy that can hit and stay healthy over the guy who is always injured and even when he’s healthy he can’t hit.

45 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Fwiw, it was Moncada or Benintendi, Kopech and then they asked for Devers and got offered Basabe and Diaz.

So its more likely Devers vs. Kopech.

3 hours ago, Quin said:

Moncada finally hits his ceiling and not only becomes an All-Star, but becomes a fucking MVP, leading to a passive aggressive tweet from Stone, Grifol saying some weird, and Getz going "our org is strong" as he keeps Nicky Lopez as a starter

Exactly.

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

Tony was years ahead of everybody with load monitoring and having guys not go all out. 

Starting to seem like it. TLR knew that he had a bunch of prima donnas and china dolls on his roster and that he needed to buck conventional thinking to alleviate big time injuries.

in retrospect it is pretty amazing that TLR was able to lead the Sox to a division title. His tenure with the White Sox will be looked at a little more fondly once a couple decades past. 

• Like 1