Tommy Pham close to deal with White Sox

Vote4Pedro

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’re going to be extremely bad not matter what, but setting the all time loss record isn’t actually good for us and will suck for the handful of young players that will have to endure.  I’m as bitter as any Sox fan, but this signing should be viewed as a positive, even if it doesn’t really change all that much.

I'm glad Getz is pivoting this quickly, and not just giving "see you at the parade" answers. If Flexen, Fedde and Soroka can't get out of the 4th inning, I can see Brad Keller and Clevinger pushing them to the bullpen, or off the team. And then Cannon being in the rotation by July. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No brainer signing.  Glad Getz is not content with Pillar & Grossman.

Meh. I’d rather have none of them and just let Fletcher, Colas and DeLoach soak up as many ABs as possible. You still have to play Benintendi for obvious reasons and and Robert will be back in 5-6 weeks.

Pham, Grossman and pillar accomplish nothing at this point. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm glad Getz is pivoting this quickly, and not just giving "see you at the parade" answers. If Flexen, Fedde and Soroka can't get out of the 4th inning, I can see Brad Keller and Clevinger pushing them to the bullpen, or off the team. And then Cannon being in the rotation by July. 

Brad Keller will be another failure.  He’s terrible.  Clevinger will likely last in rotation as long as he doesn’t get injured.

3 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Oh s%*# I forgot how good Grossman, Pillar, Sheets, Pham, etc. are

Colas is an actual prospect for whom more time in AAA might actually help him. Sheets is a very good defensive OF. Pham is adequate. Has Sheets played an inning in RF this year?

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Colas is an actual prospect for whom more time in AAA might actually help him. Sheets is a very good defensive OF. Pham is adequate. Has Sheets played an inning in RF this year?

He hasn’t. And he shouldn’t. But I’d rather play Sheets out there than 30 somethings that have no chance of returning anything meaningful even if they perform well in a season where we’re already 2-13. It’s not like Grossman plays good defense - dude dropped a ball both you and I would have caught with ease today. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Brad Keller will be another failure.  He’s terrible.  Clevinger will likely last in rotation as long as he doesn’t get injured.

I always find it weird that all you crystal ball types never call the front office and let them know. Do you think all MLB GMs follow you here?

We’re averaging 2 runs a game, and even 30 points under last year, Pham would be one of the top hitters on this team.  Grossman is at least getting on via walking. If he can walk at a decent clip, it at least gives us a chance to have someone on when our guys smack a double.  So we’ll have to figure out who fits where best if we’re “trying to compete.”

Edited by tjp1684

30 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

He was horrible on defense, almost injured other players on a few plays, and his offense didn't come close to making up for it. 

Colas is better than our current OF by far on defense 

Colas > Fletcher 

Colas > Grossman 

Colas > Benetendi 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Sheets is a what now?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • TLR 1

49 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I always find it weird that all you crystal ball types never call the front office and let them know. Do you think all MLB GMs follow you here?

The front office already knows.  Did the Sox have an offseason that you would expect of a team trying to win?  Most posters panned the acquisitions of DeJong, Lopez, Flexen, etc. and they have been right so far.  These guys will be DFA candidates soon, if they aren’t already.  I know you were optimistic about the rotation but Soroka is terrible as well and only Crochet and Fedde have panned out so far.  Like I told you weeks ago, none of these guys have had consistent success in the majors, some have been ruined by injuries, and some have aged out so I’m not sure why you thought they would exceed expectations.  It doesn’t take a crystal ball to predict that bad players will be bad.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Colas is better than our current OF by far on defense 

Colas > Fletcher 

Colas > Grossman 

Colas > Benetendi 

I'm not sure Colas is a CF, but after watching Fletcher out there I'll admit that's not much of an argument.

36 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

There did used to be someone here who said he'd give them the interview of a lifetime for GM, but the cowards never called him in.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Meh. I’d rather have none of them and just let Fletcher, Colas and DeLoach soak up as many ABs as possible. You still have to play Benintendi for obvious reasons and and Robert will be back in 5-6 weeks.

Pham, Grossman and pillar accomplish nothing at this point. 

There is room for one RH outfielder though and Pham is better than the junk we are currently trotting out there.  I also think Colas has to show he can hit AAA pitching for a longer period of time before I throw to the wolves.  I would call up DeLoach since he probably hit about as well as he can at AAA last year.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'm not sure Colas is a CF, but after watching Fletcher out there I'll admit that's not much of an argument.

He's played it a bunch to begin his career with the Sox, I really don't think he'd be worse than Fletcher there.  At worse I think he'd be equivalent 

• Thanks 1

Getz resume bullet point:

April 2024 out negotiated all professional teams in the universe and signed the best available OF bat. 

Delivering the goods 🥂 good job old sport. 

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

Erik Hosmer next ex-Royal to influence Sox lol.

"He recently interviewed Tommy Pham, his former teammate in San Diego, who’s still unemployed despite hitting 16 homers and driving in 68 runs last season while helping lead the Diamondbacks to the World Series.

“How has he not signed at this point of time?" Hosmer says. “You’re talking about a guy who makes an impact, who’s great in the clubhouse, and he’s not getting what he deserves. Why aren’t teams trying to acquire a proven winner like this?"

https://sports.yahoo.com/pat-mcafee-show-baseball-former-103821412.html

Still getting paid $13 million by the Padres NOT to play.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

From publicly available information, Pham is quite plausibly the best healthy player on the White Sox right now. He should have been signed 3 months ago. There is value to making extremely modest efforts at avoiding being an all-time laughingstock. I'm starting to think it's harmful to everyone in the clubhouse to be absolutely horrible, so I'm okay with signing some real live major league baseball players in hopes that not all of them wither and die when they get the White Sox reverse Midas touch.

• Like 2