"It's going to take time"

I would love to be in the room hearing Jerry and Chris's conversations:

Jerry: "So hey Chris. I told them you'd be able to get us wins right away. WHAT THE f***."

Chris: "Just hang on. It's all part of the plan."

Jerry: "But we might be the worst team in the history of baseball."

Chris: "These things take time."

Jerry: "You're right. f*** the fans. I'm moving the team to Alaska. We'll rename them The Eskimos."

Chris: "I'll drink to that."

Edited by ScootsMcGoots
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I deluded myself into thinking this team would be better than it was last year. I thought the hitting couldn't possibly get any worse and that the pitching/defense could actually impress. I thought Benintendi might bounce back and Vaughn would finally show something. Boy was I wrong. I don't necessarily blame Getz for that, I can only blame myself.

Don’t feel bad being a glass half full.  Someone has to be positive.  I’ve always been a glass half empty guy, but I just wasn’t a fan of any of Getz’s acquisitions of vets that should’ve already retired by now.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

I think the gameplan was pretty apparent. Sign the has-beens to take up some space while you wait for your younger talent to develop and hope 1 or 2 of those hasbeens can be flipped at the deadline for literally anything. There was no intention to compete this year, and that's not really on Getz. 

Yeah, but it’s now looking like most of Getz’s acquisitions were so bad, they could barely last long enough on the roster to ensure another year of control for the young guys prior to their callup.  That was part of Getz’s goal, but I’m sure he didn’t expect the vets he acquired would be this bad and quite literally DFA candidates after one month.  That’s all on Getz, while the smart posters on this forum saw it from miles away, literally when these bums were signed.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tray said:

The Sox are losing a lot of 9 inning games by one or two runs and losing some in extra innings. Management can either throw in the towel and tank the team for years by trading premium talent for prospects OR find a way to improve the team so that they can get over the hump and win many of those close games. I would pursue the latter course because the Sox have a few hitters who will start hitting and they have improved the depth of the pitching staff which will serve them as the season moves on. It isn't even baseball weather yet.

The Sox are 30th in all of baseball in run differential.  On the wrong end.

Next closest is 20 runs better.

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/run-differential

More than half of their losses has been 4 or more runs.

Their three wins are by a total of four runs.  They are less than a handful of runs away from being winless.

This is one of the weirder takes.

Edited by FloydBannister1983
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, tray said:

The Sox are losing a lot of 9 inning games by one or two runs and losing some in extra innings. Management can either throw in the towel and tank the team for years by trading premium talent for prospects OR find a way to improve the team so that they can get over the hump and win many of those close games. I would pursue the latter course because the Sox have a few hitters who will start hitting and they have improved the depth of the pitching staff which will serve them as the season moves on. It isn't even baseball weather yet.

This team is 3-16 with a -61 run differential. What is this post??

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, shoeless_joe21 said:

The year is 2097.

The White Sox have just traded fan favorite Jake Burger IV for top prospect Glorbatron the Destroyer. It is hailed as the final piece of the rebuild.

Team owner Jerry Reinsdorf seems reinvigorated.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Jake Burger IV will have to be like, 19-20 in this scenario, so he's got just as much uncertainty as Glorbatron the Destroyer.

You're telling me you're passing up The Destroyer for Burger #4?

Oh, I can’t help you play better than Tiny Iota. That guy was great.

(Please someone get this reference)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Oh, I can’t help you play better than Tiny Iota. That guy was great.

(Please someone get this reference)

I had debated saying that Glorbatron the Destroyer would be the best blernsball player of all time, but the years don't line up.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

NO MORE REBUILDS.  They don’t work here.

Sox fans need to accept this.  There are two options going forward for this franchise

1. “Rebuild” and continue acquiring prospects who bust and patiently waiting for that dynasty that will never come.  You all die at the end with nothing.

2.  Do what they did from 1990-2014 and continue signing washed up boppers to supplement a meager farm and praying that something accidentally clicks. (And hope for a Frank Thomas…)

With option 2 we probably get nothing, but once every 10 years we might get a random playoff run and 2-3 years of 2nd place collapses.

With option 1 we get corpse ball and record breaking futility.

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

58 minutes ago, T R U said:

This team is 3-16 with a -61 run differential. What is this post??

Insane.  All teams lose close games.  This team is on pace to be one of the worst teams ever and could easily be winless right now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

South ... do you guys now finally agree with greg that the start of the tank (during the Sale days when we dumped him) was one, horrific idea? Back then there was so much excitement about tanking. Greg was one of only a few to be appalled by the tank.

It was a massive mistake.

Tanking doesn’t work 99% of the time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Line said:

Sox fans need to accept this.  There are two options going forward for this franchise

1. “Rebuild” and continue acquiring prospects who bust and patiently waiting for that dynasty that will never come.  You all die at the end with nothing.

2.  Do what they did from 1990-2014 and continue signing washed up boppers to supplement a meager farm and praying that something accidentally clicks. (And hope for a Frank Thomas…)

With option 2 we probably get nothing, but once every 10 years we might get a random playoff run and 2-3 years of 2nd place collapses.

Majority of my life has been option 2. Always winning between 75-85 games and never being a threat to go all the way less 2005. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Green Line said:

Lol.  I hate to break it to you, but we already have nothing.  Even free agency wasn't going to save this mess.  We are in a rebuild whether we want to be or not because there is no talent on this roster.

• Like 2

What did you expect when they hired the manager and GM from another horrible franchise (KC)?  This owner, GM, manager and players are simple horrible.  Great job Jerry, you old hair bag.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Quin said:

Jake Burger IV will have to be like, 19-20 in this scenario, so he's got just as much uncertainty as Glorbatron the Destroyer.

You're telling me you're passing up The Destroyer for Burger #4?

That's a good point. Although, Glorbatron did fall off KeithLaw-GPT's top 100 following the trade.

Just don't underestimate how much the fans love Burger IV. He isn't a traditional descendent. He's a clone of the original Jake, but with Achilles heels made from synthetic super flesh and a full head of hologram hair.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Green Line said:

This is the truth. Under Jerry, these are our options. Unfortunately. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Green Line said:

Option #3 - New ownership which will happen at some point in time. That is inevitable. It will open the possibility of having a competent front office brought in and result in positive changes on the field.   

On 4/19/2024 at 8:38 AM, T R U said:

This makes it even more frustrating that they didn't do a real search to rebuild this organization because they "couldn't waste a year" now they come out and finally acknowledge this thing is nowhere close and its going to be a while.

I say again, Jerry isn't stupid. He is a liar

• Like 3

On 4/19/2024 at 2:49 PM, greg775 said:

South ... do you guys now finally agree with greg that the start of the tank (during the Sale days when we dumped him) was one, horrific idea? Back then there was so much excitement about tanking. Greg was one of only a few to be appalled by the tank.

Tanking is fine if you know how to do it. There is no direction likely to work under an incompetent FO

• Like 3

On 4/19/2024 at 10:37 AM, tray said:

Continuing as an annual apologist and consumer won't ever help the team get better. You wouldn't raise your children this way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Continuing as an annual apologist and consumer won't ever help the team get better. You wouldn't raise your children this way.

Are you 12 years old ?

• Haha 1