Pham up, Pillar out

WestEddy

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We don’t know anything for sure….but Fletcher needing more AAA seasoning is a very bad sign.  And his tweener status is pretty much confirmed by watching the games as he can’t play a good CF and doesn’t have the tools to be a quality offensive RF.  I really hope he proves me wrong, but so far everything the kid’s done has reaffirmed my belief that he’s nothing more than a 4th OF type talent.

Beyond that, the bigger concern is what a theoretical miss on Fletcher (and potentially DeLoach) means for faith in our pro scouting function.  We traded controllable pieces for older OF prospects who already had experience in AAA and yet both dudes require more seasoning despite the massive holes we have in the OF at the moment.  I viewed the Gene Watson move as a negative when it first happened and watching Rafael Ortega get opportunities over these two kids doesn’t install much confidence.

We don't know anything for sure like you said was the point.

We all want our opinions validated about how we feel initially in any trade. You're talking about theoretical scouting department misses on Fletcher and DeLoach but if Mena's reason for being traded also turns out to be correct it becomes a push.

We all know scouting and development of baseball players is much harder than in other sports. We also know not to give the Sox the benefit of the doubt too.

So declaring advanced knowledge that a trade was horrible or great when it involves players at different levels of development isnt justified until there are actual reasons .

How would we evaluate the trade of Sale at the time it happened compared to now ?

• Like 2

On 4/26/2024 at 11:02 AM, Rusty said:

You forgot Sheets…they legit have like 5 DH guys.  I mean he can’t hit but…based on his defensive performance so far, AV may best be categorized as a DH too.  

Anytime you can roster a DH that hits righty, has a trailer hitched to him, and has an OPS of 450 you do that. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You have an incredibly inaccurate memory when it comes to slandering me.

I just asked that people don't decide within a couple of months who won a trade of 2 young players and snopek agreed while commenting about internet points which I don't think was a veiled shot at me.

And you respond by making fun of me without showing any proof that my attitude about Mercedes was an "I told you so moment" . I've been that way on other topics for sure because I believe that if you have to take massive amounts of s%*# for your opinions that end up being right, you're entitled to give some s%*# back.

But noo you're allowed to give out s%*# any time you please and but God forbid you ever tell anyone you were right and they were wrong.

But about Mercedes just find one full post of mine not taken out of context where I denigrated someone else about him or said he'd be a good player for a long time. In the beginning I'd ask why no one ever talked about him in future Sox because I saw that he always seemed to be able to hit.I was just making an inquiry about a player that I knew nothing about.

It was pretty easy to surmise that he must be a lousy fielder if he's old for the levels he was playing at and his hitting could also be a result of that. But he eventually got brought up and had a fun run.

Was I proud that he made it to the big leagues and I was the guy who started talking about him early ? Sure it's like watching a relative like a nephew that you may not know so well start doing good and telling more relatives about him. But it wasn't like I scouted him and knew he'd make it to MLB.

Just because I don't automatically agree with the majority and dare voice a minority opinion is not a reason to to go all Wolf pack on someone, tearing them to shreds .

Soxtalk can be a cruel place with a bunch of keyboard warriors who could give a rats ass when they attack someone without proof and using hearsay and innuendo, taking things out of context or using their own hurt feelings to justify their assault or worse yet because the rest of the pack is attacking so I feel fine doing it too. I love mob rules culture.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:45 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The author has every right to question the output of Mercedes especially since the Sox didn't pay $50M for him or draft him high. He still has plenty of obstacles in his way to ever getting ML AB's ,

I sometimes get annoyed that everyone wants great production but when we get it then it's analyzed  on how sustainable it is, It's like he isn't producing he sucks . Then he's producing but all these numbers say its unsustainable or it isn't what he's shown in the past.  I always kind of take the whole development isn't linear concept to heart and just want to believe it's real development and just enjoy it for a bit.

We all get it. No matter how well he hits he cant play D very well and he's 26 so no will put him in the Sox top 30 prospects.

I'm rooting for the kid to get a shot somewhere sometime. It was a huge accomplishment just to get to the 40.I'm no exception to liking the underdog;

it's nice to know he seems popular with Sox fans. He's bashed his way into our consciousness and maybe he can stay there for a little while longer.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/yermin-mercedes-is-the-feel-good-story-of-the-40-man-roster-deadline/

On 2/18/2020 at 12:06 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'll make a hot take on Mercedes which we will never know.

I'd think if he and Robert both were on the opening day 26 I'd say he would hit just as well as Robert in an equal amount of PA's. He's K'd less and walked more at the same level and has had years to get to where he is.  Of course Robert would be 4 X as valuable due to defense and speed but for hitting alone I think it would be close .

On 2/21/2020 at 9:37 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

SInce someone got a kick out of my hot take and the article about Yermin came out a few days later , I now have support of my hot take in writing  from that article. Of course I knew their number were pretty similar in AAA before I said that .

Let’s start with what Mercedes did last season when he was promoted to Triple-A Charlotte and compare him with one of his Knights teammates, the guy who will likely be the big league team's Opening Day center fielder:

— Mercedes: .310/.386/.647 in 53 games

— Luis Robert: .297/.341/.634 in 47 games

On 8/8/2019 at 6:21 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

For jumping so many levels and performing pretty well and also seeing how many here want to see him get a shot at DH it's odd perhaps not to see Yermin Mercedes on the top 30 nor the just missed lists.

I do understand he doesn't profile well at catcher and might be strictly a DH and is on the old side but is he not still a prospect since he is in the system and can be of some use to the Sox if he can hit at the highest level ?

I guess he has become something of a cult figure as the Yerminator.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:58 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well sure if you look at them as finished products with no room to improve. Guess its the old prospects are suspects until they change your mind. There's all of next year to see who climbs the ladder.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:49 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Of course I understand . But there are arguments to be made that he has never been to the big leagues before and DH is a legit position in the AL and has been for many many years. You guys are always saying development isn't linear and Yermin proves that. I don't think those things should be held against him.

The Sox have a major hole at DH . Imagine him coming up and actually doing well for 5+ years. Despite being 26 does he still not have a floor and ceiling ? He is certainly a lot closer to helping the Sox and more realistically being called up then some in the top 30 will ever be. When doing ranking isn't that a consideration ? Don't you provide these rankings to help the average fan know who may help the Sox in the future ? He is a key name in that regard.

I'm not saying you are wrong I greatly appreciate the service you provide but guys like Yermin deserve a spot . In my eyes it's a disservice to the fans to leave him off the list. More than just the diehard fans should be aware of who he is and your rankings would help that. He has done everything he can despite limitations to be a factor  while guys with many skills fail all the time. I think he should be applauded not ignored.

On 8/11/2019 at 2:53 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What exactly are the same things they said about Delmonico that even applies to Mercedes  ? Did Delmonico jump 3 levels in 1 season ? Did Delmonico tear the cover off the ball in AA and  AAA in the same season ? Was Delmonico never in the Sox top 30 prospects ? Were the same things people said after or before he was called up and had good games with the Sox ? It was reasonable to think the Sox found something when Delmonico was 24 and put up some decent numbers with the Sox just as it was reasonable to expect more from Palka this year. Both however crapped the bed thereafter,  I just don't see any parallel between Mercedes and Delmonico. All I thought, and I completely understand why it didn't happen, was Mercedes could've been in the top 30 because he does have some hitting upside. Just a DH like a Nelson Cruz type can be very valuable.  No big deal .

On 8/11/2019 at 7:10 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

in 2016 Delmonico hit great in AA and faltered in AAA. But it's cool,many don't think he belongs in the top 30. I do . So be it. I am not doing a disservice to futuresox ,not even close. They are the experts and I am sure they value input. Frank Thomas was not a good 1st baseman, Edgar Martinez, David Ortiz are among many great names who played almost exclusively DH, Ortiz didn't make a name for himself until he joined the Red Sox at 27, Edgar Martinez had close to 250 career AB's before he got a real chance at age 27.

My old English teacher said you write for you own satisfaction but you also write for the reader. The readers are Sox fans who want to know more about the happenings on the farm and who we can reasonably expect to  have a chance to help the team in the future. Mercedes has a better chance to help the team than many on the list since he is so close to a call up. They do their jobs in listing the players they think have the best chance to be good players from every level of the minors. They also do feature articles on many players and podcasts. Maybe I just think the ones closest to the majors deserve special attention and that is not the job of those who rank prospects.  The readers want to know the most significant names for the neat future. Only the most ardent fan gets excited about DSL guys. They are just too far away.

Outside of Collins and Mendick, Yermin is the name I most see mentioned around here from AAA and Yermin is outproducing them both by a long shot. He can't turn back the clock and become younger, he can not become a great fielder but he can continue to hit and that could be enough.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:37 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Its funny how Mercedes is getting so much attention now. I made a thread about him last year in Future Sox and everyone wrote him off. Since I made the thread he's jumped 2 levels.

I only made the thread because I was looking at his minor league stats and thinking this guy hits everywhere he goes and asked if anyone knew about his defense and I had to assume it sucked since he was mired in A+ at age 25.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:58 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

SInce Yearnin' and Squirmin" have been lagging ,I'm going to keep bumping this until Yermin gets sent down .

Yermin hasn't been getting many AB's lately but despite that he took over the ST team HR lead with 2 HR's in his last 3 AB's going back to March 8 against the Padres and March 9 vs. the Reds.

With Encarnacion out with his hip problem, I expect to see more of Mercedes who has the same amount of AB's as Palka, Collins could use some more time too .Maybe at 1st base and DH

Mendick, Engel and Delmonico are 1,2,3 in AB's despite Delmonico slowing down significantly from his hot start. Could be they are giving him AB's because they know they might have to cut him and trying to get him picked up by another team.

Memory problems?

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

“Kevin Pillar has elected free agency.

The 35-year-old outfielder had been designated for assignment by the White Sox on Friday. He passed through waivers unclaimed, but rather than accepting his outright assignment to Triple-A Charlotte, he opted to peddle his wares on the free agent market. It wouldn’t be terribly surprising to see him wind up back with the Braves on a minor league pact.“

50 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

It's weird that Dominic Fletcher hasn't gotten any plate appearances, or even outfield innings at Charlotte, this weekend. I wonder if he's still in Chicago. 

Doesn't he have to wait ten days to be called up again

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

It's weird that Dominic Fletcher hasn't gotten any plate appearances, or even outfield innings at Charlotte, this weekend. I wonder if he's still in Chicago. 

I had the same thought.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Pillar to LAAAAAA after Trouts annual injury.

The Angels aren’t even a good team but it just goes to show how low the Sox are.

The Sox sign Pillar to be a platoon starter in RF and backup CF.  The Angels only sign Pillar after they lose one of the best outfielders in baseball to injury.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Pillar to LAAAAAA after Trouts annual injury.

Besides Pillar, no one is happier than Jerry. He saves the pro rated minimum for days Pillar is on LAAs roster. Kevin has a new super fan! 

On 5/1/2024 at 8:04 AM, hogan873 said:

So, are thinking Pham slapped Benintendi across his smug face and told him to get his s%*# together?

Something happened. Benintendi seems to be trying to hit the ball with more power and launch angle. He might get to 10 HRs this year with the approach. That is 1.5 million per HR. Nice.

• Haha 1