Schriffen says he was aiming at “Sportscasters”

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He's a good producer. That's the best radio show in the city and that's not really fair criticism. You can "not like it" but Matt Spiegel has talked baseball in Chicago for like two decades and Danny Parkins is one of the best radio hosts in the country. I don't think Shane should've went after Schriffen publicly because the hosts can handle it on air however. 

The Sox already don't let many of their employees go on because they're short-sighted and run their business like Larry's Corner Hardware Store. I will say though, 670 talks way more Sox than 1000 does and has better guests doing so. 

This isn't true. Everyone was rooting for Connor. Schriffen came on the station though and both parties were very courteous. Nobody wants John Schriffen to be bad at this. He just is. He's doing what Reinsdorf wants ultimately though. Hiring a guy who should be Slamball to do baseball every day in market 3 is pretty embarrassing though. 

Sports radio is still pretty popular here. 

Completely agree. 

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

As insignificant as sports radio has become in Chicago, that wouldn’t be good. The Sox eventually will need all the publicity they can get.

Insignificant how? It's still massively popular in Chicago. Unless you mean culturally speaking?

1 minute ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Completely agree. 

He’s bad but he makes it worse by pretending to be completely baseball stupid just to set up Stone Pony to answer a question.  But like @southsider2k5 has said, The Legend isn’t looking to help any of his partners very much by sparking much discussion.

I think he may be 'fibbing.' I know the Royals fans and their broadcasters were not mocking the Sox but acting like the Sox were a real team to justify KC excitement over winning 6 of 7 vs. Chicago. Ditto the Twins announcers that one game I heard on the radio. They were lamenting how good the Sox were in the 60s when the announcer was a kid. ... That's OK. He came up with a good explanation. All forgiven.

On 5/19/2024 at 1:29 PM, Chick Mercedes said:

Whether or not Marriotti was one’s cup of tea with his antics and personality, I support his combat posture that he took.

Yep, those days are over of 'combat' sports writing. Teams have won that war. Most outlets are full of young kids (not all, but most) especially mlb.com and they don't have the knowledge or clout to fire away at managers, owners, etc. Sox beat still has some veteran reporters like Sullivan, etc. I believe but it's a different era. Short stories designed to get clicks and not much of the old fashioned ripping of the team.

Here's the thing...

Schiffren's not going to get along very well with Stone if he tries to get too close to the players and guys around the clubhouse.

Especially with all his "rah, rah" supportive bro stuff and attitude.  It's not shocking the first guy to call him out on it would be Pham.  (Clevinger would probably be the second.)

If you get too close to the players, it gets harder and hard to be objective and criticize them.

Problem #2 is eventually you'll start to see the ownership/front office as the problem with the team, and that's eventually going to come across during broadcasts.

I guess he believes creating a "Sox against the world/fans/social media" mentality is doing a favor to the team, but it's really not in the best long-term interests of the organization to cut off one's nose to spite one's face.

Just not good business...when media attention is 80-85% focused on the Cubs already and the new stadium has become something of a joke when you have the worst team in baseball on the field representing your city and making it more or less a national embarrassment.

• Like 1

"But what’s strange about this is how personal it seems to have gotten, especially with Schriffen’s “radio losers.” Criticism certainly can be tough to hear, and there’s undoubtedly a lot of frustration around the White Sox in general right now, but “radio losers” is quite the line to utter on a broadcast. And that then got quite the response from Riordan in particular. We’ll see where this goes from here."

This is the kind of thing that Benetti might certainly THINK, but he would never utter it out loud.  (Of course, in the pecking order of things, guys like Getz/Boyer/Hahn/JR/Stone would similarly look down on Jason in their own way as "lesser than them".)

At any rate, this attitude comes across as incredibly arrogant...like Schiffren is so superior to the Chris Rongey's and Connor McKnight's and anyone who "has to do radio as a job because they're not skilled enough for t.v. work, lack personal/aesthetic appeal or past professional playing careers (at least that's my idea of what's behind his comment)."

Losing your cool/composure and striking out at perceived enemies isn't going to make things any better for the White Sox or "rally the fans around the Southside Stand Up flag."

The broadcast ratings their year must be the lowest in team history....like the late 00's/early 2010's Astros with 0.0 local shares.

• TLR 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Yes, I'm sure John Schriffen is going after Chris Rongey and Connor McKnight, as if he knows who those people are. It was clearly targeted elsewhere.

The point is that he seems to look down on all talk/sports radio workers.

At any rate, McKnight was one of 3-4 finalists for his current job so not even being aware of that job competitor would be....well, very White Sox or very oblivious.

Like mispronouncing Veeck.

Why would you want to alienate those people you will rely upon in the future to help publicize the team you work for?  It's basic public relations.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The point is that he seems to look down on all talk/sports radio workers. 

At any rate, McKnight was one of 3-4 finalists for his current job so not even being aware of that job competitor would be....well, very White Sox or very oblivious.

Like mispronouncing Veeck.

Why would you want to alienate those people you will rely upon in the future to help publicize the team you work for?  It's basic public relations.

No he doesn't. The first sentence you mentioned is that it's a very personal attack. And then a few sentences later apparently it's broad enough to apply every single person who has ever worked in radio lol (which of course includes Schriffen himself). Which is it? Well it's really neither. It was a throwaway one sentence line that was kind of funny that has generated paragraphs and screeching from radio losers or whoever may apply.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Yes, I'm sure John Schriffen is going after Chris Rongey and Connor McKnight, as if he knows who those people are. It was clearly targeted elsewhere.

The Parkins and Spiegel show was making fun of him for a while before he started badmouthing the haters. I’m sure that group is the one he was referring to with all this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Schriffen has nothing to gain by engaging with the rest of the media, especially sports radio.

Just ignore them and move on.

Actually, it is a point for Scrhiffen if he has issues with the Chicago media. In the long run, it is more important for him to connect with the fans, not the media. I think he is trying but sometimes tries too hard. But he hasn't been in the job for very long.

1 hour ago, Highland said:

Actually, it is a point for Scrhiffen if he has issues with the Chicago media. In the long run, it is more important for him to connect with the fans, not the media. I think he is trying but sometimes tries too hard. But he hasn't been in the job for very long.

How is it beneficial to pick a fight with the radio media personalities?

Yes, it's important for him to connect with the fans, but I fail to see how picking a fight with radio personalities is beneficial to that end.

I 100% agree that, especially in a town like Chicago, and especially with a fanbase like the Sox's, and especially when following two MASSIVELY popular play-by-play personalities, he needs to connect with the fans. That's one of the things that makes the Sox's job unique, or at least one of the few jobs in MLB that requires more than just a bland and invisible PbP voice. I just fail to see how picking a fight with radio personalities is beneficial in any way.

Know how you can connect with fans? Going on radio shows to talk about yourself and the team and try to show off your personality so people can make a connection. Seems pretty simple to me. Refusing to do those things and making comments about "haters" or "radio losers" is not something I would do.

• Like 3

The Score, Spiegel and others, have gone after Schriffen and continue to take shots because their boy Benetti has moved on.  I say that being a fan of Jason's.

I have no issue with what john said, because Riordan is an absolute clown and Spiegel does not give a crap about white sox, not that anyone should right now.  He is paid by the Cubs/score and does their games so it is easy for him to make fun of all things white sox because this team/organization suck right now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bonerko4Konerko said:

Know how you can connect with fans? Going on radio shows to talk about yourself and the team and try to show off your personality so people can make a connection. Seems pretty simple to me. Refusing to do those things and making comments about "haters" or "radio losers" is not something I would do.

^^^

This. I know absolutely zero about Schriffen, especially since I've seen about 6 innings of White Sox baseball this year. But for a new personality, he should be trying to make a connection to EVERYONE. Fans, media, players...why make public enemies with anyone right now, let alone people that some of his listening audience also enjoys listening to? 

This is all such a simple fix too, he just refuses to engage with anything. 

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

^^^

This. I know absolutely zero about Schriffen, especially since I've seen about 6 innings of White Sox baseball this year. But for a new personality, he should be trying to make a connection to EVERYONE. Fans, media, players...why make public enemies with anyone right now, let alone people that some of his listening audience also enjoys listening to? 

This is all such a simple fix too, he just refuses to engage with anything. 

By choosing to be the cool guy who's close to all the players...he will automatically lose rapport with Stone, who actually gets a lot more respect from players for his baseball accomplishments and acumen than Schiffren ever will (quite obviously).  Same with DJ.

Wouldn't be totally shocked to see DJ paired with Stone 2-3 years from now.

31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

By choosing to be the cool guy who's close to all the players...he will automatically lose rapport with Stone, who actually gets a lot more respect from players for his baseball accomplishments and acumen than Schiffren ever will (quite obviously).  Same with DJ.

Wouldn't be totally shocked to see DJ paired with Stone 2-3 years from now.

I'd be extremely surprised if Stone is still working 2-3 years from now.

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 12:21 PM, cuban_sammiches said:

Remember the Jay Mariotti era?

I remember a fun message board called JayTheJoke.com.

My favorite Mariottism was when he wrote that Scott Skiles owed Shaq a debt of gratitude for his single game assist record.  I wrote Mariotti and told him I was impressed with his sources, because Shaq was a sophomore at LSU at the time - so Mariotti must have had insider knowledge of Shaq giving Skiles a pep talk.

Edited by FloydBannister1983
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I remember a fun message board called JayTheJoke.com.

My favorite Mariottism was when he wrote that Scott Skiles owed Shaq a debt of gratitude for his single game assist record.  I wrote Mariotti and told him I was impressed with his sources, because Shaq was a sophomore at LSU at the time - so Mariotti must have had insider knowledge of Shaq giving Skiles a pep talk.

It was also a treat every time he would accuse those skeptical of Sammy Sosa’s newfound power of being hopeless and bitter.