Schriffen says he was aiming at “Sportscasters”

“Every sportscaster was piling the jokes on, ‘The Twins were sucking it up, and now, thankfully, the White Sox come to town, and they are going to get us right. I can’t wait. Wish we can play the White Sox all the time,’” Schriffen said. “The jokes like that, all the people who think they have jokes on us now, it’s like, ‘OK, haters, we see you, but we’ve got something coming for you.’”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

“Every sportscaster was piling the jokes on, ‘The Twins were sucking it up, and now, thankfully, the White Sox come to town, and they are going to get us right. I can’t wait. Wish we can play the White Sox all the time,’” Schriffen said. “The jokes like that, all the people who think they have jokes on us now, it’s like, ‘OK, haters, we see you, but we’ve got something coming for you.’”

I like this. Have some pride even if it's contrived. I like his South Side talk too, I get the impression that he thinks about a baseball team's civic identity, what it might mean to the local community, and I'd support efforts to market the Sox as a neighborhood team rather than as a national or international brand. It might have the effect of international marketing anyway, a South Side Chicago team is objectively cool and everybody should want to imitate it. We have a global identity. I went to China once and met a woman who was obsessed with Lil Durk and less notable Chicago rappers, the South Side exists even in the Eastern imagination. We don't need another documentary about the hat, we need local initiatives. We already had a shooterz night which is a step in a direction, but I'm probably not the guy to ask about marketing. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

You are what your record says you are and this team/organization maybe the worst in baseball.

You don't like teams dissing you, laughing at you? Do something about it besides rolling over and dying. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

The Twins are now on the verge of sweeping the Sox for the second time in a week.  Perhaps Schriffen should stay quiet and realize that he is defending a 6-24 team entirely too hard.

He hasn’t even been here for a year and he’s already another one of JR’s puppets.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 6
  • Fire 2

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Twins are now on the verge of sweeping the Sox for the second time in a week.  Perhaps Schriffen should stay quiet and realize that he is defending a 6-24 team entirely too hard.

He hasn’t even been here for a year and he’s already another one of JR’s puppets.

Yeah, weird he would be doing something that the person who gives him money and an incredible opportunity tells him to do. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Yeah, weird he would be doing something that the person who gives him money and an incredible opportunity tells him to do. 

All good. John was the addition that justified the subtraction. I would have gone with a local Sox guy, maybe a Rob Gallas type. Steve is a misanthrope so not much help there.

56 minutes ago, pcq said:

All good. John was the addition that justified the subtraction. I would have gone with a local Sox guy, maybe a Rob Gallas type. Steve is a misanthrope so not much help there.

Rob Gallas???

No no no.  Not even in the 90s.

11 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This guy is not a good play-by-play man. You're right. He is nothing but a JR spokesman. Him and Stone in the same booth is hard to take. I don't care about the Campfire Shake or whatever it is called. Jason had his issues, but he was way better than this. But then again, I'm just a hater.

• Love 1

Can someone please get through to Schriffen that you don’t call people out until you can actually do it.  6 win teams don’t “have something for you” when you come to town, except to cure exactly what ails your team (except Tampa)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Can someone please get through to Schriffen that you don’t call people out until you can actually do it.  6 win teams don’t “have something for you” when you come to town, except to cure exactly what ails your team (except Tampa)

It's strange how he's already doing the "Sox against everybody" thing when he's been on the job for about a month and has no real ties to the Sox being born in NYC. I guess tho that attitude is basically the only requirement for the job. It's certainly not baseball knowledge.

• Like 4
  • Paper Bag 1

20 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I went to a concert last Thursday, and both the warm-up and the headliner made jokes about the White Sox futility.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I went to a concert last Thursday, and both the warm-up and the headliner made jokes about the White Sox futility.

Last year I was at Disney World and they told my wife and I we could go to the front of the line since we were the closest two person group. 

A guy that we walked by told his group to "let the guy in the Sox shirt by, he's suffering."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 3

20 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Also, boy did this part about the Twins coming to town age like a Chris Getz prospect.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Also, boy did this part about the Twins coming to town age like a Chris Getz prospect.

If he thinks things are bad on May 1st, wait until our own fans are yelling much worse stuff than the "sportscasters" come summer. It's going to get really ugly.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Schriffen is a complete idiot and a symbol of what is wrong with how this team is run. I know he has to be a "homer," but he is insulting our intelligence with his crap.  Same with Stone who complains that the Sox aren't "getting any breaks." The broadcast booth is a joke. Garfien and Ozzie can go, too. And take the listless Gordon Beckham with them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Paper Bag 1

Posted (edited)

I like the line, but it would be really great if the Sox, were good. Now it's like an epic bat fip after hitting a homer into the first row of the bleachers to trim the deficit to 9-2 with 2 out in the 9th. No need to call anyone out when you are this bad.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

True WSox fans have been getting sick and tired of trolls, wise-guys, detractors and Cub fans relishing in our misery and every loss. It's gotten really old and something needed to be said. 

12 minutes ago, tray said:

True WSox fans have been getting sick and tired of trolls, wise-guys, detractors and Cub fans relishing in our misery and every loss. It's gotten really old and something needed to be said. 

Yeah, it needed to be said.  And now Schriffen sure looks like a winner after the team he was whining about swept the Sox twice in one week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

God if only someone would say something about the state of this team.

Anyway, one of my friends who isn't a baseball fan sent this to me:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

God if only someone would say something about the state of this team.

Anyway, one of my friends who isn't a baseball fan sent this to me:

Damn them haters and their factually correct statistics!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1