Story on Sox trade possibilities...

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Strike quick on Flexen before he comes back to earth if it's really a hot market.

I’m not buying it.  If Flexen was truly a hot name on the trade market like Bob says, he would’ve been traded already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m not buying it.  If Flexen was truly a hot name on the trade market like Bob says, he would’ve been traded already.

He’s on a little over $1M deal, he’s a pretty low risk option for a team looking a little help.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Strike quick on Flexen before he comes back to earth if it's really a hot market.

I'm not sure that he'll tank again. He's been a real good pitcher for a full season twice. His stuff has sure looked legit

for several weeks. If he is healthy and stays healthy until July, the Sox will get a real prospect for him.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2024 at 8:02 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Are you saying a prospect that will make the Sox top 30 list? They absolutely will with Fedde and Kopech 

If Robbie frickin Grossman returned a top 30 guy then a heck of a lot more guys than just Fedde and Kopech will do the same..

• Like 1

Posters like @WhiteSox2023 are going to be in shambles when guys like Pham, DeJong, and Fedde return real prospects. All I heard about for the first month of the season is how the Sox should have signed Amed Rosario and Michael Taylor because they would be great trade deadline flip candidates. Meanwhile, DeJong has a higher fWAR than both of those guys combined and Pham is about to do the same in a fraction of the games played 😂 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Posters like @WhiteSox2023 are going to be in shambles when guys like Pham, DeJong, and Fedde return real prospects. All I heard about for the first month of the season is how the Sox should have signed Amed Rosario and Michael Taylor because they would be great trade deadline flip candidates. Meanwhile, DeJong has a higher fWAR than both of those guys combined and Pham is about to do the same in a fraction of the games played 😂 

DeJong might being a relief prospect at best. Thats all he brought back last year and I bet his offense dips between now and when he’s traded. Still nice to get anything back though but doubt they get a “real” prospect for him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

He’s on a little over $1M deal, he’s a pretty low risk option for a team looking a little help.

Right, I’m sure there’s a ton of interest due to his salary but I doubt anyone would offer much for him…yet. Hence, why you hold onto him longer to see if he can keep it up for a stretch of time for teams.

14 minutes ago, oldsox said:

All of these rumors make some sense to me, except for Crochet.  That one I don't get.

No history of innings. Reasonable to think he won't be a full time starter for 2 more seasons.  If his value is high now, it may be a good time to flip him.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

DeJong might being a relief prospect at best. Thats all he brought back last year and I bet his offense dips between now and when he’s traded. Still nice to get anything back though but doubt they get a “real” prospect for him.

I’m not saying he’s bringing back a top 100 mlb prospect but someone like the guy Grossman brought back sure. That’s all guys like Rosario or Taylor were ever going to bring back too (in the best case scenario).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

There's a whole group who mocked anybody who thought that any of Fedde, Soroka or Flexen could work out and be traded. Any one of the three getting flipped for actual prospects would have been an incredible success of concept. We're looking at possibly two, now. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’ll believe it when I see it.  Fedde is their best trade chip and he isn’t even returning a top 100 prospect.

Also, if they don’t trade guys like DeJong and Flexen soon, their numbers are going to flatline back to terrible and the Sox won’t get anything for them.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’ll believe it when I see it.  Fedde is their best trade chip and he isn’t even returning a top 100 prospect.

Also, if they don’t trade guys like DeJong and Flexen soon, their numbers are going to flatline back to terrible and the Sox won’t get anything for them.

Some of the board has decided anyone they acquire is a real prospect while anyone they give up is not a prospect and not worth crying about.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Aren’t you the same poster that said the Sox wouldn’t lose 90 games last season and then when it was obvious they would you ghosted the board?

I’ve been off and on this board for years. This is probably the most active I’ve been here in years and I’m still only around for a small fraction of the time you spend in here.

Either way, all your whining and moaning last month about the offseason vet signings was for naught. As I said over a month ago, there were NO impact free agents available with the budget Getz was constrained to. You aren’t finding multiple quality free agents at less than $5M per year in one offseason. Quite frankly, the vet signings of Fedde, Flexen, Pham, DeJong, Hill, Brebbia have worked out far better than I could have imagined considering their bargain bin prices.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Some of the board has decided anyone they acquire is a real prospect while anyone they give up is not a prospect and not worth crying about.

I didn’t understand dumping Rodriguez for nothing. My only guess was that there were off field issues the organization was concerned about but that was pure speculation. The two things you describe are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Great post.  Who is to say that Getz’s return on these vets will be any better than the guys he basically traded away/dumped for a final total of Dominic Fletcher and cash?

Christian Mena

Matthew Thompson

Jose Rodriguez

Both Mena and Thompson have improved this year in other team’s farm systems (go figure 🙄).  I doubt Getz could get back a prospect like these two for any vet on the team not named Fedde or Kopech.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I didn’t understand dumping Rodriguez for nothing. My only guess was that there were off field issues the organization was concerned about but that was pure speculation. The two things you describe are not mutually exclusive.

Popeye wasn't reporting to Birmingham due to family issues. Those cleared right up when he was traded to Phil. 

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Popeye wasn't reporting to Birmingham due to family issues. Those cleared right up when he was traded to Phil. 

I don’t think the full story ever came out, but if he didn’t notify the Sox or “get permission” for a leave of absence, then there could be some justification for Getz dumping him.  But I still don’t think the “true story” ever came out officially.

Fedde reminds me of Jon Lieber, late bloomer. The Sox have Fedde signed through 2025 at a reasonable contract. He could bring back something decent in a trade. I would like to be a fly on the wall to hear what Bannister thinks about Fedde's upside.

On 5/7/2024 at 7:51 PM, WestEddy said:

If Fedde calms down and becomes what Clevinger was last year - just a steady guy who can take the ball every 5th day over the last 2 months, paired with a reliever, he could get a guy. He's not Giolito, and there's no myth of Lynn. But if Kenyan Middleton could get Juan Carela, and if Kendall Graveman could bring back Korey Lee, a serviceable Erick Fedde could at least bring back a live bat who could field his position. 

I think the question is - if you are getting say a 175-225 type of prospect (and a filler) do you actually trade him if you were the Sox or do you keep him and see if he can continue to develop and see what happens a year later. It isn't like the Sox have to trade him at the deadline.  

If he pitches well and you can get some good stuff for the long-run great, if you are just getting a lottery ticket than I'd rather keep him and see what you can get if he shows a longer track record (ideally) of quality pitching. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

No history of innings. Reasonable to think he won't be a full time starter for 2 more seasons.  If his value is high now, it may be a good time to flip him.

I don't see it for Crochet - but if there is a team who is squinting and seeing him as a front of the rotation guy who is cheap - maybe they offer up something in a lottery ticket move.  But I don't see it. I think it will take more of a track record before a team gives what would be an appropriate trade-off for the Sox to move on from Crochet. 

With that said - depending on how many teams are in the race and how he is doing as we get deeper into summer - crazier things have happened.  The more teams in the race - the less sellers available - so the thinner that market is from a seller's perspective & bigger the buyer's market is - the better the odds Sox could get artificially high value for Crochet. 

I wouldn't bet on it - what I will do is - hope for a lot of health and hope he's pitching really well.