White Sox acquire Corey Julks from HOU for RHP Luis Rodriguez, option to AAA, recall Dom Fletcher, Ortega DFA'd

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Nastrini and Cannon. But after their first starts, they came back to Earth. 

I'm guessing all of DeLoach, Ramos, Colas, Fletcher, Nastrini, Cannon, Thorpe will be on the team through August and September. 

Seriously, if Flexen, Fedde, Kopech, Pham, Sheets, Keller, Brebbia, Wilson, Leone, Hill, Clevinger, DeJong and .... Vaughn(?) bring back anybody of note, their showcasing will have been a huge success. 

And everybody ought to prepare themselves for Jared Walsh and Jake Woodford, because he have no 1B close, really, and if they clean house at the TDL, they're going to need starters, yet. 

All those players (minus Robert/Crochet) COMBINED have less value than Dylan Cease this past spring or ALL the trade deadline moves they made last season.

You're going to be disappointed in the return if you think that you've listed some type of secret treasure chest right there. Fedde and MAYBE Pham (depending on team needs) would be the only players I'd even be considering unless I had a miracle worker of a pitching coach to get through to Kopech.

DeJong would/might be fine as the final bench piece on a playoff team.   But he's also the kind of player who seems like he would be totally lost without regular plate appearances.

Finally, someone might consider Jimenez but not without the White Sox sending a decent amount of money along with...

3 hours ago, Nardiwashere said:

What kids were squeezed out?  Fletcher was bad to start the season(a lot of people here act like they've already written him off) and now he's back.  Sosa has had a couple hundred ABs and hasn't looked good at all.  It seems like they don't love him either. 

Colas?  Doesn't feel like he's in their future plans. 

People trashed Getz when Ramos was brought up. 

Am I missing anyone?

All of the guys traded for cash?

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

All those players (minus Robert/Crochet) COMBINED have less value than Dylan Cease this past spring or ALL the trade deadline moves they made last season.

You're going to be disappointed in the return if you think that you've listed some type of secret treasure chest right there. Fedde and MAYBE Pham (depending on team needs) would be the only players I'd even be considering unless I had a miracle worker of a pitching coach to get through to Kopech.

DeJong would/might be fine as the final bench piece on a playoff team.   But he's also the kind of player who seems like he would be totally lost without regular plate appearances.

Finally, someone might consider Jimenez but not without the White Sox sending a decent amount of money along with...

referencing "anybody of note" is kind of the giveaway that I'm not thinking I've listed some type of "secret treasure chest". Robbie Grossman brought back a AA bullpen arm. Pham could bring back a slugging OF prospect that isn't overhyped. 

Fedde and Kopech are probably the names that will bring back the biggest packages. Maybe both, together, bring back something like the Lynn/Kelly package? I think they will move anybody that draws interest. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

referencing "anybody of note" is kind of the giveaway that I'm not thinking I've listed some type of "secret treasure chest". Robbie Grossman brought back a AA bullpen arm. Pham could bring back a slugging OF prospect that isn't overhyped. 

Fedde and Kopech are probably the names that will bring back the biggest packages. Maybe both, together, bring back something like the Lynn/Kelly package? I think they will move anybody that draws interest. 

Hahn and Getz had how long to come up with a legit OF candidate who could HIT and FIELD...?

The idea that it's so easy to find a 2B, or RF....heck, we can't even find any CORNER players...well, that's been a popular misconception around SoxTalk for the past decade or so now, right?

Of course you can find your Hunter Renfroe types, but it's going to take a lot more than DeLoach or Fletcher to move the meter in any significant way.

For most teams, those difference-making players usually come out of either FA, the draft or Latin America.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Think they trade another 5 guys between now and the deadline. Mostly pitchers.

That was the plan all along one they hired Bannister and identified as many cheap dumpster dives they  could who had a sliver of hope of turning it around.

I've said all along it wasn't much of a plan turning lead into silver but I never saw much else he could do given the cutbacks.So he spread the money around on as many of those types as he could to build a team and tried to put some good defenders around the pitchers .

Next you all get to be unhappy with the returns. But tougher competition leading to the deadline may diminish some of the sheen . Hoping Fedde can keep his metrics fairly decent since he's likely to have the most interest.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

All of the guys traded for cash?

28 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

He's been garbo in Charlotte. It's not like he's even forcing the issue

I wonder what happened to him. He blazed through the minors his 1st year playing in the states but they didn't get him many ABs at AAA. Maybe they started him at a level too low, kept him there too long or kept him in Birmingham too long or just saw him hitting well and kept him down to work on defensive fundaments but he was gunning down a lot of runners.

Then he made the team out of ST after working all winter wit Sox coached on pitch selection. He really hasn't been the same player since.Its like they took away his power to get him to swing less and take more walks. I can see by his AAA stats has his OBP is about .90 above his BA which is pretty good but everything else is just not even close to the BA or power he displayed that 1st year in the system where his combined BA at all 3 levels combined was well over .300. Unfortunately it was only about 7 games at Charlotte.

I thought we really had something. Power hitting RF who also hit for average with a gun for arm.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Think they trade another 5 guys between now and the deadline. Mostly pitchers.

That was the plan all along one they hired Bannister and identified as many cheap dumpster dives they  could who had a sliver of hope of turning it around.

I've said all along it wasn't much of a plan turning lead into silver but I never saw much else he could do given the cutbacks.So he spread the money around on as many of those types as he could to build a team and tried to put some good defenders around the pitchers .

Next you all get to be unhappy with the returns. But tougher competition leading to the deadline may diminish some of the sheen . Hoping Fedde can keep his metrics fairly decent since he's likely to have the most interest.

There's no doubt he's in a tough position, everyone can appreciate THAT much.

Granted, he fought for the position and seemed to claim he ALONE would be ready, pretty much fully prepared to hit the ground running.

Panicking based on last year's results...and not even being willing to give guys like Colas, Soto, Lee (until there was no choice), Popeye and Romy an opportunity, that just seemed to be a direction a majority of the fans pretty clearly disagreed with.

Then the 3-22 start and freakouts ensued.

Edited by caulfield12

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I wonder what happened to him. He blazed through the minors his 1st year playing in the states but they didn't get him many ABs at AAA. Maybe they started him at a level too low, kept him there too long or kept him in Birmingham too long or just saw him hitting well and kept him down to work on defensive fundaments but he was gunning down a lot of runners.

Then he made the team out of ST after working all winter wit Sox coached on pitch selection. He really hasn't been the same player since.Its like they took away his power to get him to swing less and take more walks. I can see by his AAA stats has his OBP is about .90 above his BA which is pretty good but everything else is just not even close to the BA or power he displayed that 1st year in the system where his combined BA at all 3 levels combined was well over .300. Unfortunately it was only about 7 games at Charlotte.

I thought we really had something. Power hitting RF who also hit for average with a gun for arm.

I don't think it's ever been a talent issue, it's a between the ears issue. Hahn anointed him starting RF well before 2023 ST. He did well, but the league figured him out quickly, and now we have a kid who either isn't making the right adjustments or is too dumb enough to listen. It's Yermin Mercedes all over again.

I like the trade. Let's see if Getz magic touch for everyday players (Pham) continues with this guy. If this guy hits a batch of homers that'll be very welcome. Hopefully they put him on the big league roster rite away. I like it. Cause Mendick was hitting before he got hurt; Pham has been a godsend, small g, and Ramos is dandy.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The key is to find the guys are going to be good prospects tomorrow. They need to have scouts all over these teams. GMs  hear it from the fans when they dispatch their top prospects. They get a lot more leeway if they give up someone unheralded  who turns into a top prospect.  A lot of Sox fans gave Hahn “who could’ve known” leeway  for Tatis e.g.   It’s the inverse of college recruiters, who better sign those five stars, regardless of whether they can play. 

The Sox came up with several good prospects last August, for what was essentially a bunch of riffraff. Hahn finally took August seriously.  

Edited by GreenSox

6 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don't think it's ever been a talent issue, it's a between the ears issue. Hahn anointed him starting RF well before 2023 ST. He did well, but the league figured him out quickly, and now we have a kid who either isn't making the right adjustments or is too dumb enough to listen. It's Yermin Mercedes all over again.

It's gotta be more than that though.  What adjustments has an Andrew Vaughn made in the last few years?  How about Michael Kopech who still can't pitch through adversity?  Yet they are still out there every single day, effectively.  They have a personal issue with Colas, or at least that's what I perceive.  

Posted (edited)

I could see the Sox going all Oakland A's and dumping everyone.

Trade deadline : package Fedde and Kopech together, move Pham, Flexen, Keller, Shuster, Clevenger.

Off season : trade Robert, Vaughn, buy out Eloy's & Yoan's options. look into extending or trading Crochet

Edited by Falstaff

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Trade deadline : package Fedde and Kopech together, move Pham, Flexen, Keller, Shuster, Clevenger.

Off season : trade Robert, Vaughn, buy out Eloy's & Yoan's options. look into extending or trading Crochet

That would be great for the Sox because they’re (the A’s) within five games of .500 and have perhaps the most valuable closer in baseball to trade at the deadline if they go in that direction…

Edited by caulfield12

18 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

If the deals are there, it is the right move to make.  In full honesty nothing Chris Getz has done so far shows me he has the stomach to do what is right long term versus short term.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

He's been garbo in Charlotte. It's not like he's even forcing the issue

Colas?  Improved K & BB rates while maintaining a similar ISO to last year.  His BABIP is down like 50 points which is likely bad luck unless he’s hitting a ton of infield pop-ups.  Not suggesting he’s killing it down there, but I’d say he’s done enough to get some major league shot.  Now is the time to see what we have in him, Fletcher, and theoretically DeLoach.

42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the deals are there, it is the right move to make.  In full honesty nothing Chris Getz has done so far shows me he has the stomach to do what is right long term versus short term.

The upcoming schedule has teams that can score runs with Toronto being the exception. The Sox glaring weakness of no power and no run production will make it tough to be competitive. 

1 hour ago, Falstaff said:

The upcoming schedule has teams that can score runs with Toronto being the exception. The Sox glaring weakness of no power and no run production will make it tough to be competitive. 

Honestly?  I don't care if we are competitive for the rest of 2024, or even 2025.  I am already in a mindset of we need to target being competitive in 2026, with a realistic goal of 2027.  Why?  The talent gap is sooooo wide between the Sox and real playoff teams that every single person who isn't a rookie today is probably not going to be here by the time we could win a divisional title again, meaning that all of them are disposable for pieces that can win a title in the future.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

There's no doubt he's in a tough position, everyone can appreciate THAT much.

Granted, he fought for the position and seemed to claim he ALONE would be ready, pretty much fully prepared to hit the ground running.

Panicking based on last year's results...and not even being willing to give guys like Colas, Soto, Lee (until there was no choice), Popeye and Romy an opportunity, that just seemed to be a direction a majority of the fans pretty clearly disagreed with.

Then the 3-22 start and freakouts ensued.

There's different ways to look at things. You use the word panic .I doubt that's the right word.He was forced by the budget cuts to make small moves and concentrated on pitching then defense and lastly offense. He's been trying to fix the offense with trading pieces that didn't get contracts in the off season like Pham and Grossman.

He already got a AA RP for a month of Grossman and should get more for Pham. These moves alone might justify keeping Colas , Sosa and other guys with options down. Why burn service time when you are trying to replenish the farm system ?

Clearly the team won't be good this year or next so acquire tradable guys to acquire more prospects and let them Duke it out for supremacy . They can do that in the minors. If Fletcher can't get it done then go maybe you play Julks and see if you catch lightning in a bottle, after all he should be in his prime and if you are going to break out you better do it quickly. He's going through as many guys as he can on the fringes either to trade or hoping very good happens after a little coaching.

So I wouldn't call it panic. Right now he's recycling, sifting through garbage, searching for anything  junkers sell for better junk until you find something valuable enough to actually want to hold onto for 5 years. We'll be seeing this for a while. Not sure he'll get much more to spend next year but if he does that ups the ante. Guys getting midrange contracts was the bain of Hahn's existence . Too many expensive over 30 types who quickly sucked with the Sox.

The returns might be better sifting through the garbage and sticking the returns In the minors and let the cream rise to the top.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2024 at 9:32 AM, Nardiwashere said:

This is such a insignificant trade that I don't care.  I wont pretend that I knew who either Julks or Rodriguez were yesterday but I am pretty sure neither one will be anything for any team. 

I'll trust the guys who see Rodriguez pitch daily over randoms at their work computer googling "Luis Rodriguez age."  

I'll also assume that if getting rid of Luis Rodriguez was such a horrible move that is a "fireable offense", we could have gotten something better than Corey Julks. 

It’s not insignificant insomuch as it indicates a disturbing  MO if drawn out. Kind of typical Sox historically 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 6:30 AM, southsider2k5 said:

It's gotta be more than that though.  What adjustments has an Andrew Vaughn made in the last few years?  How about Michael Kopech who still can't pitch through adversity?  Yet they are still out there every single day, effectively.  They have a personal issue with Colas, or at least that's what I perceive.  

Not necessarily. If both of those guys are listening to coaches, putting in the work, and trying to perform but failing, then why would the coaches have issues with them? Their effort is there, they are trying, they just aren't getting it done. I don't think Colas is a guy who is willing to put it all out there to effectively get better. Like I said - I think this is a Yermin Mercedes 2.0 situation all over again and none of us know what has actually went on (in 2023) with him. Jared Kelenic was described as the same way in Seattle when he first came up.

• Like 1