What can we dream on for Fedde?

wegner

I am sure he is gone by the trade deadline or sooner. With him having a great year and the extra year of control, what can we hope to get in a return?

I was wondering if the Braves would be willing to part with AJ Smith-Shawver or Hurston Waldrep.....asking too much??

I would love to hear Soxtalk's thoughts, hopes and dreams on this.

A UCL injury several hours before a deal would have gotten done. 

J/K. I said the other day a top 200 guy and maybe change. If he keeps this up, it will be more than that. Borderline top 100 guy and another in the 250 range, one pitcher one OF? Something like that would be the dream take imo. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wegner said:

I am sure he is gone by the trade deadline or sooner. With him having a great year and the extra year of control, what can we hope to get in a return?

I was wondering if the Braves would be willing to part with AJ Smith-Shawver or Hurston Waldrep.....asking too much??

I would love to hear Soxtalk's thoughts, hopes and dreams on this.

That seems like much to high an ask. I imagine a prospect of Cristian Mena's ilk is what you could get.

29 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

1A. A Left Handed bat with legitimate pop.  

1B. SP who is Borderline Top 100 prospect or Top 100 if an org. is desperate. 

Not one to turn down more pitching, but they desperately need some outfield prospect help. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

If he continues to pitch well why not keep him and extend his contract?

He's way more valuable to the Sox as a trade chip than a 33 year old pitcher making $20 million a year in a rebuilding cycle.

• Like 4

We are going to need bats and won’t be able to add enough in free agency.  I would 100% look to trade Fedde (and possibly with a reliever) for the best near ready OF prospect available.  f***, Fedde + Kopech for Beavers and something else would be immaculate.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

You realize who still owns the club right? And his stated "philosophy" on pitchers contracts right?

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I know it's pointless to go down this road, but lets just use some really basic logic here. 

When Fedde is a free agent, he'll be 33 years old, and it will be the 2026 season. Even the most optimistic fans don't believe the Sox will be in any sort of playoff hunt in 2025, 2026 being the absolute earliest this team shows any kind of competitiveness. 

So in your scenario, you're going to pay Fedde not for what you think he will do for you in the future, but instead what he produced for you in the past, and pay a premium for his age 33-34-35 year old seasons, instead of selling high on a 31 year old with a career 5.12 ERA.

Doesn't seem like a very logical investment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We are going to need bats and won’t be able to add enough in free agency.  I would 100% look to trade Fedde (and possibly with a reliever) for the best near ready OF prospect available.  f***, Fedde + Kopech for Beavers and something else would be immaculate.

Do you trust Getz’s evaluation of corner outfield power bats?

Posted (edited)

I think Fedde's value will accelerate with more quality starts under his belt. Objective evidence that he really made substantive changes and he's not just a flash-in-the-pan will maximize value extracted.  Same thing with Crochet, really, although part of it for him is to show he can hold up physically (and it's really annoying that the Hahn & Co squandered > 50% of his control years).

Of course it must be balanced against his contract expiration.  But I think the offers will be better in July than now.

Edited by GreenSox

Here's a question, who on the current roster would you trade for him if he wasn't on the roster? That's about what we will receive in return. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

That seems like much to high an ask. I imagine a prospect of Cristian Mena's ilk is what you could get.

Teams always overpay for pitching, especially at the trade deadline. If he keeps this up, they can get a pretty good prospect for him. I’m curious if they’ll move him soon for a prospect and an additional draft pick. 

• Like 2

Jordan Montgomery has a much longer track record, but Fedde's rate stats look similar to Montgomery's on St. Louis last year, and he brought back two prospects who have since slid into BA's top 100. If Fedde does this for 8 more weeks, I could see him bringing back 2 guys just off the top 100 who will mature and be real prospects.