2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
Wow, it is so nice to have a real alternative to BBTN. the MLB studio shows are SO much better. Hopefully Ravech goes over there when he's done on ESPN and doesn't have to deal with clowns like Kruk and Phillips anymore

I don't really mind Kruk. Phillips, yeah, he...um..eh....bad.

Cubs released Gaudin and optioned Samardzija to AAA. Gaudin was a decent BP arm, but he obviously isn't throwing well right now. They didn't have much of a choice with the way Patton threw this spring (even considering they owe Gaudin $2mil).

Here's what rotoworld says:

Cubs released RHP Chad Gaudin.

The decision to cut Gaudin at this late date means the Cubs will have to swallow his entire $2 million salary, less the minimum if he catches on with another team. There will be several teams after him, but most will want him to spend a few weeks in Triple-A after his bad spring.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 5, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
With Joe Morgan? If that's true ESPN is just messing with people now.

Yes and it is really bad.

Anyone catch baseball tonight yesterday morning when the cub was hailed as a run away winner in the NL east but Carpenter and Wainwright were hailed as 200 inning locks. Quite simply if Carpenter and Wainwright pitch all year, I think the Cards are better than the cub and at the least shoudl kee pthe cub from running away. The Cards play the same teams as the cubs.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)

Anyone catch baseball tonight yesterday morning when the cub was hailed as a run away winner in the NL east but Carpenter and Wainwright were hailed as 200 inning locks. Quite simply if Carpenter and Wainwright pitch all year, I think the Cards are better than the cub and at the least shoudl kee pthe cub from running away. The Cards play the same teams as the cubs.

Central

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)

Really? Even if Carp and Wainy win sixteen games each, they’re going to be hard pressed to win with that offense, back-end of the rotation and pen. Cub’s hatred is fine by me, but that’s a damn good team they’ve got up in the North Side.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
Really? Even if Carp and Wainy win sixteen games each, they’re going to be hard pressed to win with that offense, back-end of the rotation and pen. Cub’s hatred is fine by me, but that’s a damn good team they’ve got up in the North Side.

I was more talking about ESPN and that if you think Carpenter and Wainwright are going to each throw over 200 innings, they will compete with the cub.

The back of the Cards rotation to me is better than the cubs.

Not only did the Mariners move Brandon Morrow to the bullpen (he's now looked at as their franchise closer) but 2007 golden armed first round pick Phillippe Aumont has also been moved to the Class A+ High Desert Mavericks' bullpen in an effort to fast track him to the majors. Some bizarre moves coming out of Seattle.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)

The Cubs should win this division by 10 games. St Louis would need every single thing to go right for them, including some key Cubs injuries, for things not end up as a blow out in the NL Central.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
The Cubs should win this division by 10 games. St Louis would need every single thing to go right for them, including some key Cubs injuries, for things not end up as a blow out in the NL Central.

I still don't buy that. If Carpenter and Wainright are actually healthy, then the NL Central is going to be a lot better this year than it was last year. There's 4 teams there that can give the division a run if things go right for them. And it sure seemed to me like the team that had every single thing go right for them last year was the Cubs.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
Anyone else really impressed by the job Billy Beane's done this offseason? The guy seems to be able to overhaul a roster faster then anyone in the majors. Even for a great GM like KW, it'll take him, two or three years, while for Beane every action just seems to be another piece in the puzzle.

Have you seen there rotation? Have you seen them do anything the past 5 years. I know Beane isn't given much in the terms of budget but he's just a cocky GM (much like Kenny) who thinks he's smarter than he really is and that he can just create new teams every year.