Special thread dedicated to shots at Wise

caulfield12

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
You would think that Ramirez would get more fastballs to hit in the 2-hole, and he crushes the fastball. I would have absolutely no problem with Alexei in the 2-hole.

What due to protection? I have seen studies in the past that prove protection is signifigantly overated and arguably does not exist... in the sense that it is believed to.

I personally just feel he would try and do too much and get away from what he does best... hit with risp. He has hit well with risp his whole life, his oppurtunities will be limited too much for my liking in the 2 hole.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
Why would the ideal world have Alexei getting the least at-bats of all the starters?
I'd rather it be Alexei instead of Josh Fields.

Also, said ideal world includes a solid lineup from top to bottom. Alexei being the hitter who "deserves" the least at-bats of all the starters is a good problem to have.

Who would you prefer hitting 9th?

No one should be angry with Wise. He's doing the best he can, he just isn't very good and is certainly not a top of the order kind of guy. Any anger or criticism should be directed at the two guys who put him in a position where anything but failure is a longshot-Ozzie and KW.

AJ and Getz should be the bottom of the line-up on a World Series contending team. Ramirez would be hitting 2nd, 6th or 7th.

We're just not that team yet...taking a chance with Rocco Baldelli wouldn't have been the worst idea in the history of the world either, if they could have gotten him for the same money Boston forked over.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
What due to protection? I have seen studies in the past that prove protection is signifigantly overated and arguably does not exist... in the sense that it is believed to.

I personally just feel he would try and do too much and get away from what he does best... hit with risp. He has hit well with risp his whole life, his oppurtunities will be limited too much for my liking in the 2 hole.

Not to sound picky, but there have also said hitting with RISP is also a flukey thing that does not translate year to year. But I think that the current line up is pretty strong at the bottom (or at least the lineup we saw today). But I think you're right about the overvaluation of the "seeing more fastballs" because Ramirez has nightmares of laying off breaking pitches.

Practically any hardcore fan of any team will have the same complaints we have... because we become so attached and see them day in day out. For anyone that does not believe me, go read any of the main forums for some other teams, we are really not much different than others.

Btw, a line-up with getz, quentin, ramirez, anderson, and fields is not as slow as soxtalk cracks it up to be. Most teams have ''base cloggers'' in the middle of the line-up. Get over it. The 3-6 hitters are the boppers and speed is not a necessity, of course is a bonus, but not what you are looking for out of them. Year in, year out we get good base running out of thome (one of the best in baseball), dye, and konerko (if you noticed i did not mention the rest of the team).

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
Practically any hardcore fan of any team will have the same complaints we have... because we become so attached and see them day in day out. For anyone that does not believe me, go read any of the main forums for some other teams, we are really not much different than others.

Btw, a line-up with getz, quentin, ramirez, anderson, and fields is not as slow as soxtalk cracks it up to be. Most teams have ''base cloggers'' in the middle of the line-up. Get over it. The 3-6 hitters are the boppers and speed is not a necessity, of course is a bonus, but not what you are looking for out of them. Year in, year out we get good base running out of thome (one of the best in baseball), dye, and konerko (if you noticed i did not mention the rest of the team).

wow, you're feeling good today bein so positive.

i was at the game in the lower bowl (sec 127 row 27) and it felt like everyone down there was calling for his head and screaming for anderson; and rightfully so Anderson could just as easily look as bad as wise and have a significant upside in CF and with the bat. Regardless of wise or anderson neither of them should be hitting lead off. Getz and Fields or Getz and Ramirez or bust.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
i was at the game in the lower bowl (sec 127 row 27) and it felt like everyone down there was calling for his head and screaming for anderson; and rightfully so Anderson could just as easily look as bad as wise and have a significant upside in CF and with the bat. Regardless of wise or anderson neither of them should be hitting lead off. Getz and Fields or Getz and Ramirez or bust.

I was getting at that earlier. Unless Wise performs a miracle and becomes Rickey Henderson Jr. he's going to get quite a beatdown from the home crowd, which really is unfair and I hope KW and Ozzie realize that they are the people responsible for this and the booing is indirectly directed (if that makes any sense) at them. Dewayne Wise, who seems like he's a pretty good guy, is going to have to go through hell because of their decisions. Do Dewayne a favor and move him to 8th or 9th in the line up if he must play. He will have a lot lifted off his shoulders and will give him a better shot at success. The guy is going to try to change those boos to cheers and try to hit 3 or 4 homers in one AB. That will not work. Its only going to get uglier if they keep him at the top.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
I was getting at that earlier. Unless Wise performs a miracle and becomes Rickey Henderson Jr. he's going to get quite a beatdown from the home crowd, which really is unfair and I hope KW and Ozzie realize that they are the people responsible for this and the booing is indirectly directed (if that makes any sense) at them. Dewayne Wise, who seems like he's a pretty good guy, is going to have to go through hell because of their decisions. Do Dewayne a favor and move him to 8th or 9th in the line up if he must play. He will have a lot lifted off his shoulders and will give him a better shot at success. The guy is going to try to change those boos to cheers and try to hit 3 or 4 homers in one AB. That will not work. Its only going to get uglier if they keep him at the top.

Good post, I was gonna say something very similiar, but you put it in better words. All the radio talk shows berated him all afternoon too. It's getting to the point where I'm really feeling bad for the guy, because he does seem like a really good guy who's just doing his job and doing the best that he can. He's just put in a postion to fail. If he starts starts to half a_ss groundballs, miss signals, beat his wife, abuse his kids, torture dogs, or has a monster ego that I'm not aware off, berate him all you want. Until then shutty.

;

Edited by sweatpants

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
he's absolutely worthless...there are almost an unlimited number of players in independent leagues and AAA that could do the same job as him. And he's starting in CF and batting leadoff. It's absolutely god awful.

i'm fine with this organizations scouting of pitching, but hitting.. well that leaves a lot to be desired, some ridiculous choices over the years outside of Beckham

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
i'm fine with this organizations scouting of pitching, but hitting.. well that leaves a lot to be desired, some ridiculous choices over the years outside of Beckham

Funny you say that when we now have Becks, Viciedo, Flowers, Allen, Jordan Danks, John Shelby and Eduardo Escobar in the pipeline.

Harrelson might be exaggerating a little bit, but it probably is the most positional/hitting talent in our organization since the early 90's.

You Wise haters are out of control. My guess is he won't be playing much longer. He's gonna be booed out of the Cell every time he makes an out. He's this year's Paulie so far. The hatred is amazing. We all know he's a below average big leaguer. Might as well boo Oz every time he steps out of the dugout and write letters to Kenny. They are the ones playing him. We won the f***ing game. I'm happy with that. Wise's sucky performance doesn't matter. We won.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 11:39 PM)
You Wise haters are out of control. My guess is he won't be playing much longer. He's gonna be booed out of the Cell every time he makes an out. He's this year's Paulie so far. The hatred is amazing. We all know he's a below average big leaguer. Might as well boo Oz every time he steps out of the dugout and write letters to Kenny. They are the ones playing him. We won the f***ing game. I'm happy with that. Wise's sucky performance doesn't matter. We won.

But he's going to lose a lot of f***ing games by being out there. One swing is all that kept him from being a major reason for losing today.

It's been a hole for 3 f***ing years. Fix it, already.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)

I didn't boo after the first K, I didn't boo after the 2nd K, I didn't boo after the 3rd K. I boo'd after he failed to execute something that he should be able to do 100% of the time if he isn't going to hit and after Fields did it perfectly previously.

And in any case, I'm booing Oz for refusing to play Anderson because of some s*** that happened 3 years ago.

My prediction: Getz will be leading off by May 1st and Anderson will be the everyday CF batting either 2 or 9...which is the way it should have been from day 1.

But he's going to lose a lot of f***ing games by being out there. One swing is all that kept him from being a major reason for losing today.

It's been a hole for 3 f***ing years. Fix it, already

But I'm saying this is something to boo Oz over and KW, not Wise.

The fans booing Wise need to put up or shut up. Boo Ozzie every time he steps out of the dugout. He's the one playing Wise. I feel sorry for Wise because he's despised.

We all know he's below average. So why the f*** boo him? Boo Ozzie. Scream at him about Wise every time his face is shown on the scoreboard or he steps out of the dugout.

His failure to bunt sucked, but so did the 3B coach sending one of our plowhorses home to get thrown out.

When will our 3B coaches realize our slow guys cannot score on base hits to the outfield when they are

on second base? We are what we are. Don't send Dye, Thome, AJP, Paulie on base hits!! It's station to station baby.