White Sox acquire Juan Pierre

Sockin

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
Yeah, paying 4.125 per year over hte next two for a .300 hitter who can steal 40 bags. AWFUL.

He's hit .300 once since 2005 and that was last year in limited AB.

He's also had an OBP above the .330 range once since 2004, again, last year.

Let's not kid ourselves that Juan Pierre is a great player or anything. He's best suited for the 9 spot, but given our lack of any options, my guess is he'll be leading off.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
Yeah, paying 4.125 per year over hte next two for a .300 hitter who can steal 40 bags. AWFUL.

Pierre is what he is – a +1 win player with good speed and range, a terrible arm, no power, and a horrible contract. He’s not the worst fourth outfielder in the world, but despite his remarkably good run earlier this year, he doesn’t belong in the starting line-up for any team trying to win. Especially one with Ramirez/Kemp/Ethier.

Back to bench, Juan. It’s where you belong.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/j...erre-is-not-hot

Well. Alright. He isn't a top leadoff hitter. He's not great in the field. But, I guess he's better than most free agent alternatives, save someone like O-Hudson, but I suppose that wouldn't work with our infield.

4 mill isn't bad. And he is definitely a lead-off hitter for ozzie, and the more definitive lineup you can give him, I'd imagine the better.

I wonder who we gave up though.

If the two pitching prospects they gave up are bad, I like this move. He was a better bet to produce that Pods and brings better defense in LF. (Q switches to RF, I am guessing). And with the Dodgers picking up salary, he costs less than Podsednik. I like it. Sox will not be giving up Hudson, so forget about that. Likely two younger, upside-type pitchers. Maybe Nevin Griffin and another one. No one that important, guarantee that. Makes you curious what kind of money Pods was asking for if they make this trade.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Man I swear every time the subject of potential leadoff hitters comes up, some people act like it's easy to acquire a speedy player with a career OBP of .390 and SLG of over .400, and they're just sitting around waiting for someone to sign/trade cheaply for them but the Sox are totally blowing it by sitting on their asses every year.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
Wonder if they aren't thinking if and a big if Jones comes in good shape...Pierre in LF, Rios in CF and Jones in RF and Carlos at DH since he is a health risk.

Good call. This could the group of OF's and DH for the rotation KW and Ozzie have been talking about.

Look the Sox neeeded a better option. Is he ideal.....no, but they are not going to put all-stars at every position. He is a smarter base runner than Pods as Pods was a very dumb player. He also is probably very similar to Pods defensively.

I will continue to state that the White Sox are loading up on guys that can hit MLB pitching and should help score more than last year and will be successful against the soft tossers that give them fits. Another leftie moves bode well for success against the Blackburn/Baker/John Bale's of the division.

This also means Matsui is going to the Angels in my mind.